Organizational Issues ("Folders" within "Folders")

Lazarus

Hi there,

Here is how I would like to set up the structure, thought it's going to be pretty easy, however I cannot seem to get it work...

• Design Notebook
    • Ideas Notebook (Group)
      • Project Notebook (Group)
        • Project Notes
    • Inspiration
      • Type (Illustration/Lettering/GraphicDesign/MotionGraphics/etc.
        • Notes

Hopefully you get the idea, could someone please advise? 

(I'm using evernote on Win7/8.1, WP8.1 and OSX10)

Thanks in advance

Laszlo

• Level 5*

That's because it's not possible in Evernote. Here's what you can do:

First, the Evernote system consists mainly of notes, notebooks, stacks, and tags.

Notes are just your content, designs, web clippings, etc.

Each note belongs to exactly one notebook in Evernote. Your account is partitioned into notebooks.

Each notebook can belong to a stack (but it need not belong to any stacks)

Notebooks only contain notes, not other notebooks, and not other stacks.

Stacks only contain notebooks, and not other stacks.

The gross structure is something like this:

- Notebook1 --> Notes

- Notebook2 --> Notes

- Stack1
- Notebook3 --> Notes
- Notebook4 --> Notes
- Stack 2
- Notebook5 --> Notes
- Notebook6 --> Notes

You cannot nest any deeper in Evernote, i.e., Notebook3 cannot have any other notebook under it.

Tags are text that are used to describe notes. A note can have an arbitrary number of tags, including 0. Conversely, a tag may apply to an arbitrary number of notes, no matter which notebooks those notes appear in. Tags can often be used to apply structure to your notes database that cannot be expressed using a hierarchical structures.

First, the Evernote system consists mainly of notes, notebooks, stacks, and tags.

Each note belongs to exactly one notebook in Evernote. Your account is partitioned into notebooks.

- Notebook1 --> Notes

- Notebook2 --> Notes

- Stack1
- Notebook3 --> Notes
- Notebook4 --> Notes
- Stack 2
- Notebook5 --> Notes
- Notebook6 --> Notes

You cannot nest any deeper in Evernote, i.e., Notebook3 cannot have any other notebook under it.

Tags are text that are used to describe notes. A note can have an arbitrary number of tags, including 0. Conversely, a tag may apply to an arbitrary number of notes, no matter which notebooks those notes appear in. Tags can often be used to apply structure to your notes database that cannot be expressed using a hierarchical structures.

Thanks man! I got Evernote ages ago and it's a mess, so it was time for a clean up.

Have a good one

- Notebook1 --> Notes

- Notebook2 --> Notes

- Stack1
- Notebook3 --> Notes
- Notebook4 --> Notes
- Stack 2
- Notebook5 --> Notes
- Notebook6 --> Notes

Thanks man! I got Evernote ages ago and it's a mess, so it was time for a clean up.

Have a good one

Tags! They are more powerful than stacked notebooks. Give them a shot. If you need ideas about how to do that, this is a great place to ask. 

• Level 5*

Have a good one

You're welcome. I didn't go into further detail about tags because I had to go to work, and they're a separate topic altogether. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I find tags to be a pretty effective method for doing most of my organizing. I generally only use notebooks where I need to, as in the case of sharing notebooks across accounts (I keep one account for work, and a separate account for personal stuff, and I share notebooks across these accounts).

Related to that: you can only share individual notes, or an en entire notebook.

Archived