Sharing Stacks in EN Business

marchaarman

Idea

Is it possible to share Stacks of notebooks with other users in Evernote Business

I've set up a few stacks with several notebooks in them and want to share those with co-workers. So everyone has the same organisation of notebooks. So that my co-workers don't have to spend time organising these notebooks also. And it would also be far more efficient to share a stack instead of having to invite everybody for each individual notebook. It seems so logical that it must be possible already, but I just can't seem to figure out how. Suggestions anyone?

52 replies to this idea

I am a Evernote user and I would like to implement in my Organization the Business version, but I'm very doubtful because the sharing stacks impossibility .

It would be very important if Evernote could say something about this issue (if and when will be implemented the feature).

I am astonished that since this was first noted as a needed added feature (2014), nothing has been done, or commented on from Evernote at all.

As a result we have in hand today with Evernote (a great product) a single item/document experience.  No one in a business environment works this way. Surely someone on the Evernote team has a response??

+ 1 AGAIN FOR SHARING DAMN STACKS

I would love to see it where I can right click on a Stack Name, have the option to share that selected Stack to whomever I want within the organization. Next, then get another window where the individual notebooks under my stack are listed in order to be shared under said Stack Name with a simple checkbox system whether I would want to include it in the share or not. 

WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL OF HUMANITY IS THIS NOT POSSIBLE YET IN EVERNOTE BUSINESS? 

Another +1.  (User since 2010, 2500 notes). This is my top issue and it's time to appeal for someone with some dough and IT/business experience to buyout EN.  I stick with them because they're right on with security but their prioritization with upgrades is questionable.  

Once again I'm haveing to use other products to set up teams.

And another +1. How many requests does it take for Evernote to include an absolute must have?? The inability to share stacks in Evernote is to me comparable to the hypothetical stupid inability to copy folders in Windows. Just imagine if you were only able to copy files one by one in Windows, not a bundle of files at once... This is exactly how many people feel with Evernote. The very purpose of Evernote is sharing work information. A stack is like a "main" folder. A notebook is like a sub-folder. A note is like a file. So basically, you can share a file, a sub-folder, but not the main folder! Realize how stupid that sounds!! Sharing stacks should OBVIOUSLY be a very basic function in ALL VERSIONS of Evernote. Without this, Evernote will never be considered as a serious work tool by the majority. Period.

Hey y'all,

I can definitely see why sharing stacks could be beneficial, however we leave notebook organization up to the individual user. People like to organize their accounts in different ways, so the way one user decides to group together notebooks in a stack may not be the way another user wants to group those notebooks together, or they may not be partial to grouping their notebooks into a stack at all. 

I understand all of your frustration around this, and just wanted to provide a little insight as to why notebook stack sharing is not available.

Thanks for your response Amanda. However, I just don't find it very consistent. If the logic is: people should do their own organizing, then it should only be possible to share individual notes. But if Evernote lets us share notebooks then Evernote should let us share stacks of notebooks too. It's as simple as that.

I think it's Evernote's job to facilitate, not to dictate how people work together. In many cases it's just way easier if one person does the organisation of notes, notebooks and stacks than to make every user do it themselves. 

• Level 5*

I'm fully awake thanks (and nothing to do with Evernote),  but I am still confused - this thread started out with a specific Business question,  but quickly generalised out to sharing Stacks from any other Evernote service.  I'm not a Business user,  but I understood that the package didn't use Stacks at all. 

Evernote seem to have adapted the 'stacking' concept into providing Libraries of published documents that are available to selectable groups of employees.  Every employee gets their own premium account as well as access to the general business content,  and in that premium account,  yes you can create stacks and share notebooks. 

On my Windows premium account creating a stack name is a matter of dragging and dropping notebooks onto the stack name,  so 25 notebooks into one stack would take me about 25 seconds.  25 Stacks is a little longer - but still minutes rather than hours.

If all your employees are working on the same documents,  it sounds like there's possibly a lot of duplicate storage going on in all the premium accounts saved to local hard drives,  as well as some possible sync conflicts if more than one person is working on the same document.  Publish some or all of those common documents in a central business Library,  and there will be storage as well as security benefits. 

I (obviously) don't know how your business is structured,  and I may be out of date with Evernote Business features;  but you might want to have a look at whether this could apply at least in part to the data you're sharing.

None of this is to deny any blame on Evernote - their business product is essentially the same now as it was when first launched.  There may have been under the hood changes for reliability and speed,  and detail changes for bullets and tables,  and yes bells and whistles like Chat and Context that appear to have generated (at best) general apathy;  but unless they got the Business format exactly right on launch,  you would have though by now that if they were going to stay in the market,  there would have been some administrative goodies for Business users.

One thing you do have is priority support,  so if you have any improvements to suggest you could use the Chat option when raising a support ticket (0700-1900 PT weekdays) to check what is available and get your point across.  Scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

Sharing stacks is a definite "must have" in Evernote for Business. Uniformity in the way the information is organized is key to all members of the team finding the information and saving it in a uniform manner. Since the business package is suppose to make it easy to collaborate, it seems that sharing stacks is a huge omission from the features.

I think sharing notebook stacks would make a lot of things very easy for those notebook stacks that really do need to retain their organization (think almost mini-publications with lots of sections, chapters within sections, and then articles within chapters). So those without the ability to share notebook stacks ... what advice is there for not driving your users crazy when you have to share all these notebooks without any structure around them? Without the ability to share a stack even on a premium or business plan, I'm not sure that Evernote is the right tool for us. Thanks for the insights. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not sure that there are many options available if you require that level of organization.  The way to provide a 'route map' through individual notes is to use the Table of Content concept,  and if necessary to title your note "Section 1,  Chapter 1,  Section 5" (or some option to the same effect) and to provide s note which lists and links to all the sections in that chapter;  likewise a note which lists all the chapter ToCs,  and one which lists all the section ToCs.  (It sounds complicated,  but the process is to search for and select each group of notes and use the ToC function to generate the lists of links.

To link to that publication,  link to the top level index page and the reader can navigate around as though from a conventional printed index.  All that is possible within a normal notebook / notes structure.

Em 2016-5-26 at 18:43, amanda_h disse:

Hey y'all,

I can definitely see why sharing stacks could be beneficial, however we leave notebook organization up to the individual user. People like to organize their accounts in different ways, so the way one user decides to group together notebooks in a stack may not be the way another user wants to group those notebooks together, or they may not be partial to grouping their notebooks into a stack at all. 

I understand all of your frustration around this, and just wanted to provide a little insight as to why notebook stack sharing is not available.

Evernote can always make it an Option for a business deployment:

[ ] Allow users to control their own stacks

On 2017-3-2 at 1:43 AM, Eduardo Estefano said:

Evernote can always make it an Option for a business deployment:

[ ] Allow users to control their own stacks

Exactly like this.

Evernote Team, you need to realize that this is a BIGGIE!

I love Evernote, But I consider moving on to something like Google Drive for my business. One of the main reasons is that you can't share stacks, so you cant share structure in your team. So the team is lost. And Evernote Business is not an option.

Implement this feature ASAP! It's a biggie!

Hi all. After the latest Mac update, all my tags were removed from my tag structure and I'm not able to create a new one anymore.

On the personal notes all is well. The old trag structure is there. But when I switch to business, there is not "stacking" of tags anymore.

I noticed that the New Tag option is also disabled from the Menu.

Is this a new feature or a bug?

image.png.bf3f1bf14e97a91642b370aea5990098.png

Adding another voice to the ability to "sharing a stack". 

Being able to fold several small notebooks (ie: stacking) under the umbrella of a single stack allows for organizational cleanliness. Unless there is a better'

way, creating a 'stack' brings them together.

Would make sense to be able to pass this organization onto the shared person or group.

Am I missing something, and there is indeed a better way to do this?

Yes please, make Stacks sharable!

I've read that there are synching issues, but maybe something like 37Signals' Basecamp's Text document would work (called Writeboard in Classic Basecamp). It says something like "someone else is editing now" and doesn't allow simultaneous editing. But as soon as the other person has saved their version and it syncs to the cloud, the Text document allows you to "Edit this document".

Those brilliant people at Evernote will figure this out, I'm sure.

Yes, please!

We have just moved to "Business"-accounts as we were convinced that sharing stacks is *the* "typical buisiness - feature", which would be already available in the Buisiness version of accounts.

Now we are dissapointed that this feature isn't yet implemented. Hope it gets available very soon !

The workaround by organizing this with keywords is not the solution.

I am a brand new evernote user and am attempting to build a knowledge-base for my small business.  Frankly, I am absolutely shocked that this feature does not exist.   Having to share all of my numerous folders for them to be viewed by my other users is exceptionally time consuming.  The lack of this feature is making me consider exploring my options with other software providers.

The sharable stack discussion has been going on since 2014 and still no progress!!??  I am dumbfounded that stacks are not sharable.  Seriously!

I was very excited to start using Evernote for business in 2015 and my team and I really enjoyed it until we learned that notebook stacks cannot be shared.  Every person has to re-create the original stack that I developed.  It is incredibly time consuming and I'm starting to think that Evernote was a bad idea for our collaboration.

When will stacks be sharable?  I hope the answer is NEXT WEEK!

Was considering rolling out Evernote Business to my marketing team and was here doing research. SHOCKED this is not a feature...unless there's a painless workaround it's a nonstarter for us. Need to be able to share "Project Category>Individual Projects" without counting on everyone to share of Every. Single. Notebook.

Very disappointing.

I'd also love to see this feature. We're transitioning to using Evernote to manage client information and not being able to share our organizational structure means that we're going to have to organize each client into the groups they function within per member of the team. The only way I can see streamlining this process is using a tag for each kind of client type which would allow the other members of our team to search for shared notebooks that are all tagged similarly and organize them into their own shared notebooks on their own accounts.

• Level 5*

I have clients,  potential clients,  plus single- and multiple- client/ potential client projects,  different marketing plans (and,  I suddenly realise,  a headache...) but surprisingly little use for notebooks and stacks.  The percentage of my total notes in one notebook varies in the very high 90's and the only reason I see for additional notebooks is where I share notes with others,  am (temporarily) collecting a set of notes for some work-in-progress,  or have a local notebook for more security.

I can see where a company with more sites/ employees than I would have specific libraries internally - for HR / Finance and other reasons;  but mirroring a hierarchical folder arrangements can easily be done with tags.  You do need to have a 'dummy' client share that only you can access to appreciate how these are treated in any shared notebook,  and there could definitely be improvements in tag management across the board.  But it is possible...

Evernote might well have Stack and Tag developments in hand (they don't -usually- share..) but for the moment workarounds are all we got...

I've been using Evernote forever, and switched to Business for my team a while ago ... I am ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I never fully got it when my team said that they didn't find Evernote as easy to use as I did when I cajoled them all into using it ... that is until my business account had a meltdown and I had to reconnect everything and I found that the stacks I'd neatly developed were not visible to everyone else!!!  WTH???  How is this possible???  What use is Evernote if Stacks don't work in Business???  How is it possible that the Stacks that I, as admin, had carefully created and nurtured were never visible to anyone else but me?  No wonder no-one else on my team liked Evernote - it's a total shambles in there with no Stacks to organise Notebooks.  I'm better off using Evernote Premium Personal and just sharing my Notebooks. 

For shame Evernote, for shame. For the amount we pay, I am close to asking for my money back. Such a waste. I am definitely making a huge huge apology to all of my team for asking them to use a confusing jumble of disorganised rubbish that made their jobs harder, not easier.

• Level 5*

You can't share stacks,  but you can share notebooks.  If you share 25 notebooks that you happen to have arranged in a stack,  the person(s) receiving the share will need to spend about 1 minute moving all the notebooks into one stack of their own.  See this Help Center page for more on how to train and organise a team.

yes, but we have 25 employees and each of them have some 25 stacks at least with some more than 25 notebooks in it.

This takes more than ONE MINUTE!

I totally agree with clairefm.

Evernote developement/management has chosen very wrong focus recently. Nonsense features like "Context" have been developed but not key features like Sharing Stacks.

wake up.

Archived