Idea for passcode lock/soft lock on files

Hey,

Not sure if there is a feature for this already in Evernote, but I generally use evernote as a digital file cabinet and most of the files that I place in there I just want to be there basically forever and don't usually need to move them much or delete them etc.  I just need to access them as I have filed them when I need to access them.  

I had an experience where I had accidentally deleted a lot of files when my son was in my lap and pressing buttons on the keyboard.  Needless to say I spent a while trying to sort that out and it was frustrating, and I'm sure others may have had a similar experience.

Evernote is a fantastic product, but I am more and more worried about a situation like this happening as I become more reliant on the system since I am nearly paperless now.  If something were to happen there wouldn't be a way for me to retrieve the files since I generally shred the documents or recycle them.

It occurred to me (and maybe to others) that a simple solution might exist that could set files as defaulting to needing to enter a password to delete or move the files so folks like me would have an extra layer of security against the folders and files being accidentally deleted or moved without first having to put in a password.  For those that want to be able to quickly and easily be able to move their files they could have this setting turned off by default.

In a perfect world maybe my solution or something similar, but better could be set up, or if it already is if someone could link to the thread for me I'd appreciate it very much.

Thank you for creating an excellent product that has improved my life!

• Level 5*

What files are you talking about? The Evernote database files? Which client? WIndows? Mac? I'm assuming that you're referring to one of the Evernote desktop clients.

If you're talking about deleting Evernote files by normal operating system means, then you might be able to work out some permission scheme that allows Evernote to access the files but doesn't allow you, the local user, to modify or delete them, except by elevation). Outside of that, there's not much Evernote could do to prevent you from modifying files in your own user account.

However...

In general, you can delete Evernote files without worrying too much, as your notes -- except for notes in local notebooks -- are backed up on the Evernote servers. You might lose unsynced changes (but syncs can be set to occur frequently), and you might lose local notebooks (but if you're not backing them up yourself, then you should be, because they are unsynced by definition). 

That's a great idea! I don't have toddlers to worry about, but I do have cat that is about as helpful as your son was. He frequently materializes from thin air and the before I can grab him, saunters across the keyboard. Or parks on it, at which point he magcally gains 50lbs. (It's especially fun when you're in the middle of a Live Chat with some IT rep you just a considerable amount of time and frustration jumping through hoops so you can speak to that particular tech.)

So yeah, that would be an awesome feature!

• Ex Employees

One of Evernote's premium features is 'pin code lock' for your mobile devices. This adds an extra layer of protection to your Evernote account. 

on iOS, Settings > Premium > Passcode Lock > Turn Passcode On

on Android, Settins > Set up Pin Lock

That's great, but what about the desktop apps where you have physical keybaords that kids and cats like to "help" us? Window in my case, but I'm sure Mac users must have the same problem if they have two or four-legged kids. ☺

One of Evernote's premium features is 'pin code lock' for your mobile devices. This adds an extra layer of protection to your Evernote account.

• Ex Employees

That's great, but what about the desktop apps where you have physical keybaords that kids and cats like to "help" us? Window in my case, but I'm sure Mac users must have the same problem if they have two or four-legged kids. ☺

Security against two or four legged children 'updates' would be to log out of your desktop account after each use. 

IMO, it's pretty easy to avoid the situations described here.

First, keep current backups of your desktop database.

Second, when doing something important on your computer, do not have a toddler on your lap.  This is not strictly for Evernote but anything.  "Accidental" keystrokes can buy something in an online store or delete a file or muck up a document you're composing, etc, etc, etc.  It's harder with cats & I can empathize as we have two dogs who are family members.  But they are small & there is no danger of them jumping up on my keyboard.  I know you may not want to ban your feline "helpers" from your office, when working.  But if you're typing away & cat jumps up on the keyboard, I really don't know how a computer is supposed to be able to recognize that as accidental & ignore it.  Of course, most things you may be able to 'undo', but that's pretty much all I think any computer could do. 

Third, when leaving your computer, as Metrodon said, lock your account.  I know in Windows it's very easy & easy to unlock.  IMO, this is a basic security feature, when there are others in your home.  Again, not just for Evernote but other apps too.  I don't want a guest in my home to have access to my email, Evernote, Quicken, Excel files, etc.  (My husband knows better than to mess with my computer!  (To be fair, I am the same with his computers/phone.  We view each others computers/phones like wallets/billfolds/purses - you just don't go rummaging through them unless you have a good reason to do so.)  To be clear, this is simple security & not much good against a thief if your computer is lost or stolen.  That case is described in the many threads on 'security'.

For a Windows pin code for individual apps, I have mentioned Game Protector several times on the board.  It's free & although it doesn't mention this, a Google search indicates it works with Win 7 & 8, 

http://gameprotector.com/

Archived