Launch/start-up slowdown

DutchPete

After the last update of the Windows desktop client I noticed a significant slowdown of launching & shutting down Evernote: 3-4 minutes. EN Support advised me to uninstall & reinstall Evernote, their usual advice for a bug by the way.

I uninstalled EN with Revo Pro, making sure all registry entries were also deleted. After reinstalling (version 5.4.1.3962, as per last update) sure enough the app launched immediately without delay, but after pasting my database over the new empty one the old problem was back. In fact, it now takes 5 minutes, so I'm more than 1 minute worse off. There is probably something amiss with my database but I don't how, when, what occurred.

Any ideas what this could be? Any suggestions for a solution?

Hmm, you might have one or more corrupted notes. That's just a guess on my part.

But if I were you, I would submit a new Support Ticket - or re-open your old one if that's possible - detailing exactly what went wrong, everyting you have done to try correcting it, *and* also detail the problem you're having with duplicate Note versions,:as they might be connected.

It's worth a try, and in a few hours when more people are online, maybe one of the power users will have more ideas for you.

Good luck! ☺

After the last update of the Windows desktop client I noticed a significant slowdown of launching & shutting down Evernote: 3-4 minutes. EN Support advised me to uninstall & reinstall Evernote, their usual advice for a bug by the way.

I uninstalled EN with Revo Pro, making sure all registry entries were also deleted. After reinstalling (version 5.4.1.3962, as per last update) sure enough the app launched immediately without delay, but after pasting my database over the new empty one the old problem was back. In fact, it now takes 5 minutes, so I'm more than 1 minute worse off. There is probably something amiss with my database but I don't how, when, what occurred.

Thanks for your advice. I thought they might be connected but decided to post as separate posts as others might recognise one or the other they have fallen "victim" to as well.

Hmm, you might have one or more corrupted notes. That's just a guess on my part.

But if I were you, I would submit a new Support Ticket - or re-open your old one if that's possible - detailing exactly what went wrong, everyting you have done to try correcting it, *and* also detail the problem you're having with duplicate Note versions,:as they might be connected.

It's worth a try, and in a few hours when more people are online, maybe one of the power users will have more ideas for you.

Good luck! ☺

Sounds reasonable. But when working with support, maybe consider refeencing the Ticket number for the one you aren't currently trying to resolve?

Maybe some like this:

"As a side, you might want to note I have another Support Ticket for something I *think* is a separate issue so didn't want to confuse things for you. However, one the off chance they might be related, I have include below the Ticket # and a brief summary of the problem. I am referencing this Ticket and a brief summary of the problem it is addressing."

Other Ticket #: (insert it here)

Summary of Issue: (insert here)

DutchPete, even if you have already submitted both tickets, you should be able to send the above suggested info one a staffer from Evernote replies to both in an email. (As opposed to the auto-replies acknowledging your queries.

Also, I use the "*" at the start and end of words to indicate Italica or Bold as I dont have access to the full Forum text editor on my phone.

Anyway, just offering suggestions you are free to ignore!

OK thanks for the advice Wordsgood. I'll 1st await feedback from others on this forum, and if need be contact EN Support.

In the latter case I'll keep the forum informed about my findings.

Sounds reasonable. But when working with support, maybe consider refeencing the Ticket number for the one you aren't currently trying to resolve?

Maybe some like this:

"As a side, you might want to note I have another Support Ticket for something I *think* is a separate issue so didn't want to confuse things for you. However, one the off chance they might be related, I have include below the Ticket # and a brief summary of the problem. I am referencing this Ticket and a brief summary of the problem it is addressing."

Other Ticket #: (insert it here)
Summary of Issue: (insert here)

DutchPete, even if you have already submitted both tickets, you should be able to send the above suggested info one a staffer from Evernote replies to both in an email. (As opposed to the auto-replies acknowledging your queries.

Also, I use the "*" at the start and end of words to indicate Italica or Bold as I dont have access to the full Forum text editor on my phone.

Anyway, just offering suggestions you are free to ignore!

Thanks for your advice. I thought they might be connected but decided to post as separate posts as others might recognise one or the other they have fallen "victim" to as well.

Good luck! ☺

• Level 5*

I was having similar problems but - for other reasons - had to nuke my current installation and rebuild the database from scratch (ie from the server).  With a new app and a shiny new database and index,  things went back to reasonable...

Edit:  I should also say - I'm on the beta track,  so currently 5.5.2.4057,  which may also be relevant...

My database is entirely local as all my notes are in a local notebook.

I do find it strange that this situation can occur because it never happens with any other apps. I only did a shiny new EN installation 1 year ago, and yet it is messed up already.

For completeness' sake & maybe help others who experience a similar issue, below are 2 solutions Evernote Support offered. The 1st consisted of a reinstall of the version I was using. However, as all my notes are local only, this solution could not work, as will be obvious from the instructions below. I therefore did not try it.

They then advised me to install the prerelease of the next version.This one did work !!

Below are the instructions for both solutions.

Solution 1

At this time we recommend a database rebuild.

To rebuild your Evernote for Windows database, follow these steps:

Save your local content:

1. Export any Local Notebooks; right-click on your Local Notebooks and select Export Notes…
  2. Choose Evernote XML Format (.enex) and Export the file to your desktop
  3. Export any unsynchronized notes

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Log out of Evernote; select File > Sign out…
  2. Select Evernote > Options > General > Open Database folder
  3. Move the username.exb file to your Desktop

Open Evernote and log into your Evernote account. Your notes will synchronize from the service and create a new database on your computer. Once complete, import any Local notebooks you previously exported by selecting File > Import > Evernote Export Files….

Solution 2

Since you do not sync your notes, a database rebuild will not assist you as this pulls all your notes from our servers, but it sounds like your notes are not on our servers.

At this time, will you please try installing the latest Evernote prerelease from the following page. This version includes several bug fixes that may resolve your issue.

1. Quit the Evernote application; select File > Exit
  2. Click the Start button to open your Start menu
  3. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
  4. Select Evernote > Uninstall
  5. Reboot your computer
  6. Close Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present)
  7. Download and install Evernote(Prerelease) for Windows (as an Administrator).

As my issue is reolved this post can be marked as answered.

Archived