Can't delete tags on Evernote Desktop

naomib

Hi all, I am trying to start afresh with my Evernote account and have deleted all my notes, and would like to delete the tags that are associated with it, but when I right click on the name tag, the delete action doesn't do anything. It works when I create a new tag though.

These tags have been imported from a Notebook I was sharing with a colleague, but the tags didn't synchronize so we decided to unshare the notebook and that I would delete all the notes and the tags on my acccount to start again the sharing process.

Does anyone of you know how I can delete these "old" tags?

Thank you in advance for your help

• Level 5*

Shared tags can be persistent.  Try logging out of Evernote (File > Exit) and back in.  In an extreme case try Revo uninstalling Evernote and a 'clean' reinstall.  (Backup your database first and check the Forums or contact Support -see below- for more details if you need them).

Hi Gazumped, thank you for your message, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Evernote Desktop and it still didn't work-  I am not sure however what a "clean reinstall" means. I'll check the contact support info, thank you very much for this

Best

Naomi

• Level 5*

Sorry that wasn't the trick.  Revo Uninstaller is free software that scours your hard drive for all the bits and traces of files that Evernote (or any other) application leaves around in the course of normal operations.  If you run an application,  and particularly if you update it a few times,  there's all sorts of stuff hanging around on your hard drive.  It (usually) doesn't take up much space,  but it can cause odd behaviour from time to time.  A normal uninstall doesn't get rid of all that.  Revo will.  You can create a new,  shiny 'clean' installation of just the current version of your software,  which should avoid any nasty holdovers from previous lives,  like your tags!  Theoretically.

I'm sure Support will sort you out.  :)

The pro version can also remove your database though - handle with care...

Shared tags can be persistent.  Try logging out of Evernote (File > Exit) and back in.  In an extreme case try Revo uninstalling Evernote and a 'clean' reinstall.  (Backup your database first and check the Forums or contact Support -see below- for more details if you need them).

The pro version can also remove your database though - handle with care...

That's why you started off by advising to back up the database 1st.

Nah - I included that because renaming and replacing the old database is (IMNHO) the next step,  not always the first one.

That's funny, you literally say "back up first" in your 1st answer above. And that makes sense because why would one back up as a subsequent step when in prior steps disaster may have already struck?

• 6 months later...

Just figured out how to delete tags on windows: 

1. Go to View > Left Panel and make sure "Show Left Panel" is selected.

2. In the Left Panel, find the tag you want to delete and drag it to the Trash notebook.

That's it!

• 1 month later...

Archived