ScanSnap scanner icon crossed out in Windows taskbar

I am using a Scansnap S1300 and Windows 7.  In the taskbar, the Scansnap Manager icon is crossed out (has a line through it).  This happens frequently, even though my Scansnap is turned on, plugged in, and recognized by my computer.  I have to restart my computer and then the Scansnap icon is not crossed out and I can use my Scansnap.  Then, after a while, it will become crossed out and unavailable once again until I restart my computer.  Any ideas on how I can make my Scansnap available for use without having to restart my computer?  Thanks, Todd

• Level 5*

Hi - the fact that the SSM icon is crossed out means your PC thinks the scanner is disconnected / switched off.  Make sure everything is plugged in properly.  Is the scanner connected via a USB hub? Try connecting direct to the PC or (if it already is) changing the USB port that it connects to..

Or...

• Reinstall SSM (I'd nuke the original installation completely via Revo free)
  • If that doesn't help,  make sure you're running the latest version of the software - right click the system tray icon and choose Help > Online Update.
  • Failing that you should have a shortcut to ScanSnap Manager somewhere - copy/ move it to your desktop and then exit SSM by the icon in your system tray,  and restart it via the shortcut.
  • Level 5*

Gaz has some good suggestions.

Also, I know some of the Scansnaps have an "Auto Power Off" option in their Settings.  If you haven't yet, make sure such a setting is not set to power off after a few hours.

Archived