Desktop client crashing at startup

tavor

• Level 5*

Evernote is giving me a fatal error at startup. Windows 7, desktop client version 5.4.0.3698.

I had to restart about 8 times to get a launch that didn't immediately crash. Ticket has been submitted.

Any tips on getting this usable while I'm waiting for support?

Frankly, this is a little terrifying given how much data I have been sticking into EN.

• Level 5*

Hi - it's an inconvenience if things have gone wrong,  but no need for immediate panic - can you use the browser version of Evernote by signing in at Evernote.com?

Have a search around the forums here for tips on uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote,  and (if necessary) renaming your current database file and rebuilding it from the server.  Support will probably suggest one or both fixes when you hear from them.

• Level 5*

I could use the browser version, but that wouldn't give me access to my local notes.

I logged out of EN and after logging back in, the startup crashes have stopped - well, stopped at least once; since it's up and running, I didn't want to risk closing it and seeing if it would start up again as I needed to get some stuff done and didn't have time to troubleshoot.

• Level 5*

If you haven't already done so I strongly suggest backing up your database file and exporting your local notes to an ENEX file notebook by notebook!

• Level 5*

I could use the browser version, but that wouldn't give me access to my local notes.

I logged out of EN and after logging back in, the startup crashes have stopped - well, stopped at least once; since it's up and running, I didn't want to risk closing it and seeing if it would start up again as I needed to get some stuff done and didn't have time to troubleshoot.

Well logging out and logging back in wasn't the panacea I had hoped it would be. EN just crashed and is now crashing at startup. 

Edit: Seems there is one note that is triggering the crashes. Once focus is switched away from that note, the app isn't crashing. But if I select that note, the app crashes.

• Level 5*

Well,  backing up the database and uninstalling/ reinstalling the app won't make it any worse...  but be careful with any local and unsynced notes.

• Level 5*

If you haven't already done so I strongly suggest backing up your database file and exporting your local notes to an ENEX file notebook by notebook!

What's the purpose of exporting local notes in addition to making a backup of the database file (which contains those local notes)?

• Level 5*

The database itself might be corrupted,  or contain corrupted notes,  so if you can get back into it and export your local notes you have the option of re-creating your database from the server and then re-importing the local notes.  If you can't get back into the database to do the export there's no immediate concern - re-installing the app might fix matters.  I just prefer to be super-cautious if there are no other guaranteed viable backup copies of notes handy...

• Level 5*

I exported the notes by selecting all the notes in a notebook, choosing export (and included the Tags field in Export Options) as .enex file. I guess that's the only way to do it, as I don't see an option to export at the notebook level.

Good point. Yet another point I never though of regarding back-up copies. Evernoting this pronto!

Thanks Gazumped. And you too, Tavor, your misfortune may well have saved me a future disaster! Though I am sorry it's happened...

• Level 5*

Some random thoughts, thinking that I may have had something similar with a corrupted note in the past. There are some repair tools in evernote /debug menu (at the command line) that may help? Is the corrupted note in a synchronized notebook? Are you able to reproduce that note? If you can get it to the servers, and then copy/delete/paste to a new note, that may correct the corruption. IDK if exporting the notebook and reimporting it would help, but may let you get the offending note to the server (import to a synchronized notebook with auto sync turned off while you move all the OK notes back to an offline notebook) where you may be able to work on it and find the corruption.

Good luck!

• Level 5*

Some random thoughts, thinking that I may have had something similar with a corrupted note in the past. There are some repair tools in evernote /debug menu (at the command line) that may help? Is the corrupted note in a synchronized notebook? Are you able to reproduce that note? If you can get it to the servers, and then copy/delete/paste to a new note, that may correct the corruption. IDK if exporting the notebook and reimporting it would help, but may let you get the offending note to the server (import to a synchronized notebook with auto sync turned off while you move all the OK notes back to an offline notebook) where you may be able to work on it and find the corruption.

Good luck!

That's an interesting idea, but a much easier workaround that meets my needs in this particular case was to create a note with the hyperlink to the webpage, rather than using WebClipper to save the page contents (which is what was generating the corrupted note, and yes, it is reproducible - thread here).

Archived