Missing notes and half notes

Appalled! I am so frustrated with this app. I did an update and lost most of my notes. These were important notes starting from years ago. I don't understand how such a reputable company can let this happen? Surely the foremost task of evernote is to be able to keep notes. How simple is it to store a bit of text? Then all the flashy stuff can come after that. I am absolutely aghast that I have lost these notes (and hear there are many other users who share this problem). I don't understand why the notes are not backed up locally, or at least reminded to sync before updating. Or why doesn't Evernote write under the description of the app "Please do not write anything important or valuable to you, as your data may be lost". I have written an email to Evernote with no reply. I used to use Evernote religiously but unless my notes are somehow retrievable (They do not show on desktop app Either). Then I am moving to another more dependable app like OneNote or something simpler and leaving my review as a one.

What is wierd is that I have notes that were made at later date to others, so you would think if it was a sync issue it would follow chronologically.To add salt to injury whenever trying to find the notes or figure out what is wrong a message or advert keeps popping up offering to go premium at a really expensive rate.

Look I'm not one to hold grudges and can forgive and forget, and I promise to update this post if I do somehow manage to get these notes back. But in the meantime I am disgusted with a company of this stature to let something like this (essentially its number one priority) happen.

• Level 5*

Hi.  You've clearly had a bad experience and I can understand that you're very unhappy with the situation,  but if you can give us a little more detail maybe we can help you resolve it.  If it's of any comfort there are actually very few instances of notes being lost at the server - "missing" notes are usually the result of inadvertent duplicate accounts,  device problems and other user issues.  There has never,  to my knowledge,  been a problem with notes missing after an update that was down to a server fault.

One thing you should do now,  if you haven't already done so,  is to raise a support request (see below).  Evernote don't have a support email address,  so I don't know who or where you have emailed,  but that probably won't be getting a response.  The correct way to raise a problem is via the support page.  This,  by the way,  is a user forum - so we can try some suggestions,  but won't have access to any account details.  IF you have already raised a support ticket please post the date and the incident number here - we can flag it for an Evernote administrator to have a look.

As to your problem,  can you give us a detailed run down of what was updated and when,  what seems to have gone wrong,  and how many notes you had before and after the event?

Thanks for the reply.

I get a message "Could not load this note" with a watermarked exclamation and a retry button. I have tried on 3g and on wifi. I was wondering if it was possible to access the locally stored data folder and try re loading that i.e. saving the data somewhere and uninstalling evernote and then reinstalling it. I only have one account so it's not a duplicate account thing. I upgraded on a wifi and when I opened the notes again the only ones that came up were "Last synced 10/2012"so I'm sure I've synced at least once since then.

Sorry I said email but I meant I have sent a support request and am awaiting a response.

• Level 5*

If the issue is down to a corrupted note,  chances are your locally stored database will not help - can you see that note (or any notes) via the browser version of Evernote if you sign in at Evernote.com?

No it's weird. I signed in online to see if they were there and it's the exact same. On my phone though all the note titles are still there. They are empty or slightly missing. In the top right of the folder though there is a sync symbol but like I said there is no syncing when on 3g or wifi.

• Level 5*

If your notes are not present online,  you need to prevent your phone from syncing otherwise it will also lose all notes.  The server is the 'master' copy for all notes,  all other devices are brought up (or down) to its situation when sync is complete.  When you get an acknowledgement to your support request please let us know what number you're assigned - we may be able to get you a little priority to see what's happened to these notes.

No it's weird. I signed in online to see if they were there and it's the exact same. On my phone though all the note titles are still there. They are empty or slightly missing. In the top right of the folder though there is a sync symbol but like I said there is no syncing when on 3g or wifi.

If your phone is not syncing & you are using the exact same account, then this is probably what's in the cache on the phone.  Mobile devices don't sync the body of the notes unless you have a premium account & designate all or some of the notebooks for offline access.  And of course, if you're not sycn'ing the phone, then that's what's in the cache from the last time it did sync.

If your phone is not syncing & you are using the exact same account, then this is probably what's in the cache on the phone.  Mobile devices don't sync the body of the notes unless you have a premium account & designate all or some of the notebooks for offline access.  And of course, if you're not sycn'ing the phone, then that's what's in the cache from the last time it did sync.

Hi,

So what you're saying is the body of the notes don't get cached either? I am not on a premium account but surely my notes should be accessible nonetheless? So essentially you're saying that what I've got on my phone (which is more than what show's online or on windows) is ultimately whats left of my notes i.e. my notes were not synced or backed up before update and were deleted? I would pay for a premium account if it meant getting those notes back.

Archived