Keyboard shortcut for Highlighting text

• Evernote Expert

I think it is alt+cntrl + h , but I think holding those three keys can be quite cumbersome. Rather select and click the highlighter icon using the mouse. Evernote should provide the option to customize keyboard shortcuts.

AFAIK there isn't one - choose your text,  click the highlighter and that's it.

This is bad :( My use requires a lot of highlighting text while reading and searching for the highlight tool everytime breaks my flow.

I think it is alt+cntrl + h , but I think holding those three keys can be quite cumbersome. Rather select and click the highlighter icon using the mouse. Evernote should provide the option to customize keyboard shortcuts.

It's not working for me =/

• Level 5*

In the latest public beta, at least (5.5.1.4027), the shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+H. I found this by looking at the Format / Style / Highlight menu item. Don't know if it's available on the current public release.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be a huge boost to productivity if you could switch on the highlighter and leave it active to highlight any new selection that you make – as you would do in the 'real world' when you pick up a highlighter and hold it in your hand. The need to keep going back to the toolbar to select the highlighter tool really slows down the process of highlighting the important points in an article (and I was stunned when I first started using Evernote that this simple method wasn't already in place).

I've tried using the Ctrl + Shift + H shortcut – this can hardly be convenient for most users. Anyone who uses a mouse will have selected the text to be highlighted with the mouse, their hand will still be on the mouse so clicking the icon in the toolbar is quicker to activate the highlighting. There is no value here to using a keyboard shortcut. The only people who would find this keyboard shortcut faster are those people who select a word using the keyboard (and I would think they are few and far between…).

• Like 3

I second donmcleman ---->  Evernote REALLY needs an option where you can lock the highlighter (like with Windows)!  This would save SO much time if you're just highlighting for extensive amounts of time (as I do...a LOT).  

They probably get tired of hearing "...just like Windows..." all the time (sorry, Evernote people.  You still rock)!  I can picture a sign hanging in their main offices: "Give me a break...we're not Windows!" lol

And, yes...the cntrl-shft-H idea was terrible.  That takes 5 actions (two clicks [or one click and a drag], then three keys).  Terrible idea for the one function that really needs to be more efficient than the others.  Hoping whoever thought of that still has a job.  I'm sure he/she is an amazing programmer, save for the one mistake! haha

(...it's funny that the editor in this forum has more toolbar options than Evernote, btw [oh, except for a highlighter of course]!)

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

For highlight press : "Ctrl + Shift + H"

Other commonly used shortcuts in evernote are

Select Font, Font Style and Size  : Ctrl + d

Paragraph Alignment 
     Left : Ctrl + l
     Middle : Ctrl + e
     Right : Ctrl + r
     Justify : Ctrl + j

Increase Indentation : Ctrl + m
Decrease Indentation : Ctrl + Shift + m

Increase font Size : Ctrl  + "+"
Decrease font size : Ctrl + "-"

Bulleted List : Ctrl + Shift + B
Numbered List : Ctrl + Shift + O

Bold : Ctrl + b
Italic : Ctrl + i
Underline : Ctrl + u
Strikethrough : Ctrl + t
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

For any EN Mac lurkers watching this thread, it is CTRL+CMD+H on the Mac.

Evernote really needs to provide a shortcut for EN Win, maybe CTRL+WIN+H ???

When are you going to introduce highlight enable for multiple highlighting work ?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi all! 

I am really going bonkers with this highlight issue.  The short-cut 'ctrl + cmd + H' works in some cases, in others not. 

If I have a note that I have opened and written in my self there is a highlighter function easy to use - small pen symbol.

If the note is a PDF or a word document (using mac) that I have downloaded and 'saved' in EN, it doesn't work most of the time. No sure if it ever worked in PDF. Is it not possible to use highlighter in PDF and word documents?

Anyone experiencing the same, and have suggestions on what I am doing wrong. 
Huge thank you!
Lotta

• Level 5*

Hi.  HIghlighting text works for text that is in Evernote's own text editor and the body of a note.  If you've opened an attached PDF or Word file in a different editor,  then local rules apply and Evernote's highlighter does not .  You may be able to highlight text using that application's own editing commands,  provided it's your document or you have permission to make changes.  If you don't,  then all bets are off.  You could presumably take a screenshot of the relevant portion and annotate the picture to 'highlight' a section,  but you won't have access to the original text.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, ladelstal said:

If the note is a PDF or a word document (using mac) that I have downloaded and 'saved' in EN, it doesn't work most of the time

Each app will have its own tools and shortcuts for applying highlight to text.

If viewing a PDF with Adobe Acrobat, then activate the single key shortcuts (meaning that you press a key, and an associated tool gets selected). You do this in the Preferences, in the General tab, by checking the "Use single-key acceleerators to access tools" option. You then may have to restart Acrobat/Reader.  This activates the single key commands. H is for the Hand tool, and U is for the Highlight tool

In MS Word, you may need to assign a shortcut:

To Assign a shortcut to highlight the selection

• Tools > Customize keyboard
  • In the list to the left, highlight "All Commands"
  • In the list to the right, locate "Highlight"
  • Place your cursor in the write-in field and press a key combination. Word will let you know if it's already taken. Just about all "Control + Letter" combinations are available.
  • This will highlight the selection using the toolbar's current highlight color, whatever it is. (You cannot otherwise customize the color used by the shortcut.)

• 1 month later...

Hi folks

I'm trying to find the highlighter function on my Mac running OS 10.11.4, but having read through all the above

- the little pen symbol i used to use has disappeared from my note view - I just want to highlight in existing and new Evernote notes 

ctrl + cmd + H just deletes text rather then highlight it 

- I have an A symbol bottom left hand corner is just for settings/help.

- a search of highlighter in evernote help returns no relevant results

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

CTRL+CMD+H no longer works for highlighting text for me. I'm on a Mac running OS 10.15.3, Evernote Desktop for mac v7.14.  

Is anyone else having this issue? Very frustrating to have to use the mouse every time I want to highlight 😖

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Rob E. said:

CTRL+CMD+H no longer works for highlighting text for me. I'm on a Mac running OS 10.15.3, Evernote Desktop for mac v7.14.  

Is anyone else having this issue? Very frustrating to have to use the mouse every time I want to highlight 😖

Hi, and welcome to the forums. This is the Windows desktop program forum. Posting your question in the Mac forum will get a more useful response.