Number count for notes in notebook

Yesterday I imported some notes into my default notebook.  I moved them to different notebooks.  There were no notes left, but the count said 3.  I imported some more and the count said 5 after I moved those around.  I found that 2 files did not import for some reason.  I imported those that were missed, but the count stayed at 5.  I have come to the conclusion that I need to do a count on import to make sure that those that were supposed to be imported were all imported.  Does anyone know why this would happen?  Is there any way to zero the count, so that I can no when I am missing something.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks for your time.

• Level 5
Which version? Windows, Mac, Web?

Imported how? ENEX? Copy & Paste?

Count said 3 - was this in parenthesis after the name of the notebook?

I am using Windows 7, Evernote Version 5.4.1.3962.  I imported the notes by putting them in a folder on my computer designated as add to Evernote.  Then I hit sync in Evernote.  It imports all the notes from my computer that I placed in that file into Evernote.  The 3 was in parenthesis after the name of the notebook.

Thank you for answering my post.

• Level 5

Good, that helps clarify a few points. 

When I move a note in my Evernote Windows program from my default notebook to another notebook, the count changes immediately. Manually sync'ing is a good idea - that will insure that anything sent to the Evernote cloud is also on your Windows program.

I would suggest moving all the 5 notes in your default notebook to another notebook. Hold down the Shift Key and select all the notes. A medium size box will appear with several options. Select the "Move to Notebook" which should move the 3 notes to another notebook. Your default notebook should be empty with the (5) gone.

There are some other users on this forum who might be able to help.

• Level 5*

I am using Windows 7, Evernote Version 5.4.1.3962.  I imported the notes by putting them in a folder on my computer designated as add to Evernote.  Then I hit sync in Evernote.  It imports all the notes from my computer that I placed in that file into Evernote.  The 3 was in parenthesis after the name of the notebook.

Thank you for answering my post.

If you're using an Import Folder from Windows to Evernote,  any file you place in that folder will immediately be imported to Evernote.  The Sync button matches and updates the current database with the server database.  If you hit the sync button immediately after moving files into the Import Folder you may have started the sync before all the latest files were actually imported.  If you have copies of the imported files or can recall their contents,  I suggest searching your database for some keywords to check that the files are there.  You may want to sync your desktop again to make sure all files have been synced.  It does seem to happen that occasionally Evernote gets confused as to how many files are in a notebook (or can't display the ones that are),  but as long as you can find your data and the difference is only a few notes I'd suggest you ignore the problem for the moment.  If it continues submit a support ticket (see below) to see whether the tech team have any better suggestions.

Thank you all for your comments.  I am not sure how to view hidden files, but what I did do seemed to solve the problem.  After trying to re-sync several times, I decided to sign out of evernote completely.  I signed back in and did a sync.  All of a sudden the missing files were there.  I was able to move them and the count went back to zero.  I think that gazumped was correct in that I hit the sync button before everything was imported.  I will know this for next time.  Thank you all so much for your help.

• Level 5

Thank you all for your comments.  I am not sure how to view hidden files, but what I did do seemed to solve the problem.  After trying to re-sync several times, I decided to sign out of evernote completely.  I signed back in and did a sync.  All of a sudden the missing files were there.  I was able to move them and the count went back to zero.  I think that gazumped was correct in that I hit the sync button before everything was imported.  I will know this for next time.  Thank you all so much for your help.

Good job, Gazumped!

In Windows, you can manually sync by clicking the Sync icon at the top left of the screen. 

I press F9 to sync - and I do it frequently.

By the way, to verify the true count that Evernote has in the cloud, log into the Evernote web version (evernote.com)

Archived