(Archived) Hiding Notes

Is it possible to hide a note so it does not show up in the Note list. I meet with clients and as they look at my laptop and Evernote, this list remains on the side panel. Now I know I can just bring up a Notebook and only those items will show but often I have to jump from one note to another in a different Notebook. Thanks

Bongolu - Would it solve your problem if you just put the Notes you don't want other people to see in one specific Notebook that you don't open in their presence?

Another option is to encrypt the text that you don't want others to see. I can envision that this may not be practical.

Here is another idea. Place Notes that you don't want others to see in the Trash. Notes in Trash on the Windows version of EN do not show up on lists. The obvious downside of doing this is that you need to remember to move them out of the Trash before you delete the rest of the Notes in the Trash.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! it seems that with a Premium Account one would be able to semi-customize the accounts. When I'm show my notes to clients I don't want them to see other clients folders cause well.. its just not cool!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! it seems that with a Premium Account one would be able to semi-customize the accounts. When I'm show my notes to clients I don't want them to see other clients folders cause well.. its just not cool!

Premium offers many things over free accounts.  I don't know why hiding or (semi-customize, whatever that means) would be something that would generally be expected.

• Sad 2
  • Level 5*

If you're dealing with a particular client, and you only want to see the notes related to that client, then you could tag the notes associated with that client with a special tag that denotes that client. Then, before you meet with the client, you just filter on that tag, and you don't see other notes in your note list. Just close up the Notebooks list in the left panel, as you are not dealing with anything notebook-related, only notes relating to your client.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Bongolu - Would it solve your problem if you just put the Notes you don't want other people to see in one specific Notebook that you don't open in their presence?

Another option is to encrypt the text that you don't want others to see. I can envision that this may not be practical.

Here is another idea. Place Notes that you don't want others to see in the Trash. Notes in Trash on the Windows version of EN do not show up on lists. The obvious downside of doing this is that you need to remember to move them out of the Trash before you delete the rest of the Notes in the Trash.

Or Evernote could make it a feature. iPhoto (Mac) has such a feature: individual photos can be hidden and the hiding for all (hidden) photos can be turned on and off with a hiding master switch. Simple and great.

Or Evernote could make it a feature. iPhoto (Mac) has such a feature: individual photos can be hidden and the hiding for all (hidden) photos can be turned on and off with a hiding master switch. Simple and great.

They could. They could do a lot of things. Whether they do or not is an entirely different matter. It may be they plan to do it but it's a low priority. Or they may decide they simply don't want to add it, for whatever reason.

They could. They could do a lot of things. Whether they do or not is an entirely different matter. It may be they plan to do it but it's a low priority. Or they may decide they simply don't want to add it, for whatever reason.

I think @Jefito's post is the best and most logical solution. It's perfect - what more could one ask for? 

I really don't get why someone would want to go to the effort to hide specific notes. Some of those hidden notes will then have to be shown to a different client. Then what? You unhide those that you need for the next client and then hide what was previously visible to the last client. Does one not know what they will show to any given client beforehand? Also... you've got to keep tabs on the fact that certain notes are hidden from you yourself.

What is there about tagging certain notes and entering that tag context (while hiding your Left Panel) that is not ideal/ perfect? Would one be able to offer a simpler process? The thing about a feature similar to iPhoto where certain photos (in this case, notes) can be hidden, is that you will have to remember to tweak and update it constantly. You're creating a whole extra unnecessary maintenance workflow all on it's own - "Hiding master switch" or not. "Simple and great" - I don't know. 

• Like 1

I think @Jefito's post is the best and most logical solution. It's perfect - what more could one ask for? 

I really don't get why someone would want to go to the effort to hide specific notes. Some of those hidden notes will then have to be shown to a different client. Then what? You unhide those that you need for the next client and then hide what was previously visible to the last client. Does one not know what they will show to any given client beforehand? Also... you've got to keep tabs on the fact that certain notes are hidden from you yourself.

What is there about tagging certain notes and entering that tag context (while hiding your Left Panel) that is not ideal/ perfect? Would one be able to offer a simpler process? The thing about a feature similar to iPhoto where certain photos (in this case, notes) can be hidden, is that you will have to remember to tweak and update it constantly. You're creating a whole extra unnecessary maintenance workflow all on it's own - "Hiding master switch" or not. "Simple and great" - I don't know. 

Is there a way (other than being a premium member) that I can make a request for a feature directly to Evernote? There are features in any software that not everyone uses. That doesn't make those features useless or senseless. I'd like to make the suggestion to someone who has either the power to implement it or the ear of someone with the power. It seems I'm searching for a tool in the wrong drawer. I thought this was the 'here's an idea I'd like to see drawer.' Turns out this is the 'maybe a lot of things' and 'I really don't get why' drawer. My mistake. Can someone direct me to customer service?

Is there a way (other than being a premium member) that I can make a request for a feature directly to Evernote? There are features in any software that not everyone uses. That doesn't make those features useless or senseless. I'd like to make the suggestion to someone who has either the power to implement it or the ear of someone with the power. It seems I'm searching for a tool in the wrong drawer. I thought this was the 'here's an idea I'd like to see drawer.' Turns out this is the 'maybe a lot of things' and 'I really don't get why' drawer. My mistake. Can someone direct me to customer service?

Both premium and free members are on an equal footing when it comes to making feature requests. That can be done in the forums here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/73-knowledge-suggestion-box/

Nobody is trying to put a damper on things by talking through the dynamics of how such a feature would play out. It's quite stimulating to some degree... and in the process, one might learn a little more about how to go about implementing a specific use case. Here in a thread that @bongolu started you're getting input from a number of other knowledgeable Evernote users. A forum member might express the likelihood of any particular feature being implemented in the future, for example - and often it might seem a little defeatist - but at least it's out there. The opinions laid out here don't necessarily effect Evernote's decisions. We just like to kick topics around here, among other things. The above link may be one avenue of getting Evernote's eyeballs on the request - especially since it seems the "Knowledge Suggestion Box" is underutilized. 

Here in the forums you'll see members speculating, ranting, informing, suggesting, etc. Often that's the best insight one might hope to get - which may be a better indication than an Evernote employee saying that they may take a look into a new feature suggestion. All software companies do that. It doesn't give any indication of whether something is taken seriously or not. Another point to consider is that supposedly every post is read by an Evernote employee. That would include this thread. Sometimes they chip in - most often not. Either way, I'd encourage you to start a new thread under the above link for your suggestion... that's what it's for.  ;)

• Level 5*

Unless you know the CxO's of Evernote personally, you can open a support ticket (per Frank) or make a request in the forum. Evernote staffers have said, repeatedly, that they read every post, and log requests, issues, etc. That's pretty direct, even though they may not reply to every post. All features must be evaluated and prioritized for implementation against available resources and ongoing design goals, whether they come via the forums, CS, Twitterings, Google+ or wherever; there's no magic ticket to take you to the front of the line. This is not to say that your idea doesn't have merit, by the way; it's just the facts of life.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Both premium and free members are on an equal footing when it comes to making feature requests. That can be done in the forums here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/73-knowledge-suggestion-box/

Nobody is trying to put a damper on things by talking through the dynamics of how such a feature would play out. It's quite stimulating to some degree... and in the process, one might learn a little more about how to go about implementing a specific use case. Here in a thread that @bongolu started you're getting input from a number of other knowledgeable Evernote users. A forum member might express the likelihood of any particular feature being implemented in the future, for example - and often it might seem a little defeatist - but at least it's out there. The opinions laid out here don't necessarily effect Evernote's decisions. We just like to kick topics around here, among other things. The above link may be one avenue of getting Evernote's eyeballs on the request - especially since it seems the "Knowledge Suggestion Box" is underutilized. 

Here in the forums you'll see members speculating, ranting, informing, suggesting, etc. Often that's the best insight one might hope to get - which may be a better indication than an Evernote employee saying that they may take a look into a new feature suggestion. All software companies do that. It doesn't give any indication of whether something is taken seriously or not. Another point to consider is that supposedly every post is read by an Evernote employee. That would include this thread. Sometimes they chip in - most often not. Either way, I'd encourage you to start a new thread under the above link for your suggestion... that's what it's for.  ;)

The Knowledge Suggestion box is expressly for making suggestions related to educational content, i.e. documentation, Knowledge Base, tech articles, etc. : 

Knowledge Suggestion Box
Suggest new topics or questions for us to address with educational content. The topic or question should be related to the Evernote product or service.

It's not for making feature requests; you can make those anywhere, like right here.

• Like 1

No one has said your request is "useless or senseless".  The main point is that that the main determinant is with Evernote.  It's a fact of life with any software.  Those who are responsible for it must make a determination if they want to add it (or not).  And if they want to add it, it must be put into a priority list. 

• Like 1

Yep... you're right Jeff. I did see that. "Education" seemed to be the intended area of focus - but I also saw a total of 4 off-topic threads. Interesting thing is all 4 of them have seen the appearance of @charboyd. That made me re-think and overthink the part about "Suggest new topics or questions for us to address with educational content. The topic or question should be related to the Evernote product or service." Might as well jump on the train for what seems to be a sure way of getting some sign of life from the powers that be, which may or may not do it for someone, whether or not the response if of any consequence.  :P

• Level 5*

Just because off-topic posts exist there doesn't mean that we ought to promote hijacking its from its intended purpose. I wouldn't be averse to having a dedicated "Feature Request" sub-forum, though.

Everyone would still post in the general forum, though... :)

• 6 months later...

I would suggest you delete them, they are going to be in the trash unless you confirm delete, you can restore them at any time but while in the trash they won't appear on searches or on any list and the only way to see them is going to the trash.

I laugh every time I use this technique since I think so many people have the same issue and evernote refuses to even care so we have to be playing with the garbage all the time to have a workaround.

Regards ;)

• 7 months later...

I have a few folders of notes that are from previous - and somewhat traumatic - times.  I don't want to see the notes all the time in search results, because they're a little bit triggering, but I don't want to delete them either.

So here's what I did:

1. Export the troubling notebook as .enex file

2. Create new notebook called "Archived Notebooks"

3. Create a new note, named after the exported notebook.

4. Drop the .enex file into that note as a file attachment.

The notes no longer appear in search, they no longer appear in the notes list, but they are still safely stored in Evernote and can be restored by properly reimporting the .enex file.

Just my $0.02 and a little tip.  Hope it helps some of you!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I also would love this feature. And don't get me started on my desire to have specific notebooks with encryption for all inside that notebook.

I completely understand OP's problem. He doesn't want to encrypt all other client info, but doesn't want it popping up. I also frequently have people looking over my shoulder at Evernote contents that I have pulled up for them. Tags don't solve the problem, because if I do a search -- which is very, very often -- items with other tags will show up. And I might need to find something that isn't tagged with X client's name, because it is associated with another project and doesn't carry that tag. 

@Dan F -- Love this solution for some issues, like the specific one  you mention. But wouldn't help me in the day to day, since there is stuff I do want regular access to -- including some of those times when someone is reading on with me -- but don't want to pop up when I perform a search. Hiding a picture in iPhoto is a perfect analogy. 

The only workaround that helps me is encrypting those notes that I don't want to pop up. OP could encrypt all client files, and unencrypt the ones associated with the "Jones" tag when OP has meetings set with Jones. That keeps those contents out of the search list. (Not sure if this is only Premium enabled.) BUT, it's less than 100% ideal for me because that makes all those notes unsearchable and I would like to be able to search them when I choose to do so ... which brings me back to wanting a notebook in which everything is encrypted. In my dream world, that notebook can be included in a global search, or searched by itself, with the same encryption PW.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 2016-04-24 at 5:58 PM, M. Black said:

I also would love this feature. And don't get me started on my desire to have specific notebooks with encryption for all inside that notebook.

I completely understand OP's problem. He doesn't want to encrypt all other client info, but doesn't want it popping up. I also frequently have people looking over my shoulder at Evernote contents that I have pulled up for them. Tags don't solve the problem, because if I do a search -- which is very, very often -- items with other tags will show up. And I might need to find something that isn't tagged with X client's name, because it is associated with another project and doesn't carry that tag. 

@Dan F -- Love this solution for some issues, like the specific one  you mention. But wouldn't help me in the day to day, since there is stuff I do want regular access to -- including some of those times when someone is reading on with me -- but don't want to pop up when I perform a search. Hiding a picture in iPhoto is a perfect analogy. 

The only workaround that helps me is encrypting those notes that I don't want to pop up. OP could encrypt all client files, and unencrypt the ones associated with the "Jones" tag when OP has meetings set with Jones. That keeps those contents out of the search list. (Not sure if this is only Premium enabled.) BUT, it's less than 100% ideal for me because that makes all those notes unsearchable and I would like to be able to search them when I choose to do so ... which brings me back to wanting a notebook in which everything is encrypted. In my dream world, that notebook can be included in a global search, or searched by itself, with the same encryption PW.

The "putting the note in the trash" works EXACTLY like i would like it to... with ONE EXCEPTION!
...Now the notes are IN THE TRASH (Along with all the OTHER trash... DUH!)

I want to "HIDE" notes, NOT TRASH them!  (and please block searching them too, ONLY "maybe" allow TAGGING)

I have confidential notes that i don't want people seeing, but need to frequently modify them, so having them in another EN account is useless...

PLEASE ADD THIS VALUABLE FEATURE!
This is NOT a dumb idea, it's something I've wished existed for a few years now!

/f

• 3 months later...

I do some Google search and find that there is no way to do it, only some workarounds, I work out the way below:
Add all the notebooks whose notes are OK for show to others and usually used by me in workplace to one stack, for example, named “Work”, for me, almost half of my notebooks are put into this stack. 
Save the customised search “stack:Work” to the shortcut list in the sidebar. 
In workplace, for any search, firstly click this shortcut, then “stack:Work” will automatically added to the search field, no matter which search criteria will be appended by you, the list of notes shown will be from this stack and so safe. And once you keep the “stack:Work” in the search field, you are free to exposing any embarrassing notes. 
I also like the new “Cmd+J” shortcut, but in the search field conjured by it will not keep the “stack:Work”, another workaround is to leverage one text expander app, I use aText, to quickly add “stack:Work”. 

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see something like this too - my reason, and I imagine others have the same problem - is that I have a personal Journal notebook in my Evernote account... so there are personal notes that I dont want to appear on my home screen, as I'll often be screensharing with colleagues and clients.

Seems if Evernote is meant to be your one point of note taking, it needs to be able to stop the display of sensitive data... If anyone has any ideas on how to hide journal entries please shout, but it just sounds like it doesnt work with the Evernote system (and maybe its too complicated for them to want to bother with...)

Cheers, Steve

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, stevewalkr said:

I'd like to see something like this too - my reason, and I imagine others have the same problem - is that I have a personal Journal notebook in my Evernote account... so there are personal notes that I dont want to appear on my home screen, as I'll often be screensharing with colleagues and clients.

There's no built in way to hide notes in Evernote, but one way to go about this is to have separate work and personal accounts, so you can enforce separation. If you need to see one account's notebooks in the other account, then you can share them across. I've been doing this for several years, and it works fine. 

19 minutes ago, stevewalkr said:

Seems if Evernote is meant to be your one point of note taking, it needs to be able to stop the display of sensitive data.

Not sure that I agree with that, but if it's important to you, then all you need to do is click your heels together three times take advantage of Evernote's existing facilities, at least until such time as they implement some sort of note hiding facility, if they ever do.

Thanks Jefito - I get that the two account approach could work, but logging back and forth is a pain - Evernote have been given enough gripe for slow mobile apps for example, and key for me is to quickly get an idea, whether personal or business, or a business card into my central note point quickly.... - plus you'd need to pay for 2 accounts if you wanted the full set of features...

Appreciate the reply, cheers Steve.

• 3 years later...