Photographed docs from iOS are large and anamorphic in Mac

I've been taking photos of all manner of things for a new project (Hard drive serial numbers, software licenses, editors and directors notes etc) and I've come across something I can't get around.

I take a photo in iOS (5s) 

I rotate it, if necessary. 

When I sync EN on my Mac the note is there and it is rotated BUT,

a) its huge

B) it's squeezed horizontally.

In the 3 pane view of the Mac app window, I would have to open the window up quite a ways to make it legible.

If I open the note into it's own window I have to make it almost the full size of the monitor to get it to a legible point. 

Some of these photos are small notepad sizes originally, some are post-its, some are box content labels and serial numbers and barcodes. All of them have this problem.

Is there a function or workaround to display them at their native size and aspect ratio?

• Level 5*

I've been taking photos of all manner of things for a new project (Hard drive serial numbers, software licenses, editors and directors notes etc) and I've come across something I can't get around.

I take a photo in iOS (5s) 

I rotate it, if necessary. 

When I sync EN on my Mac the note is there and it is rotated BUT,

a) its huge

B) it's squeezed horizontally.

In the 3 pane view of the Mac app window, I would have to open the window up quite a ways to make it legible.

If I open the note into it's own window I have to make it almost the full size of the monitor to get it to a legible point. 

Some of these photos are small notepad sizes originally, some are post-its, some are box content labels and serial numbers and barcodes. All of them have this problem.

Is there a function or workaround to display them at their native size and aspect ratio?

I am not seeing the issue with changing of the aspect ratio of the photo.  The photo does autosize with the Note pane size up to the max image size, which I really like.  But it is never distorted.  If this continues, you should submit a Support Ticket (see below).

You can control the size of the photo in the Evernote iPhone/iPad preferences.  For capturing small things like labels, serial#, etc, I find the "small" setting works well.  

For capturing document/text items, I prefer to use another app like GeniusScan+ or JotNot Pro.  GeniusScan+ has a setting to capture text as B/W and really cleans up the image.  I has a connection setting to Evernote, so the results can be easily saved (with Title and Tags) to Evernote.

BTW, I am running EN iOS 7.4.0, EN Mac 5.5.1 on Mac OS 10.8.5.

This is a screen grab photo of a medium sized post it note as displayed in side list view.

It was rotated and cropped in Evernote.

It doesn't scale up or down as you widen the window it just stretches to where it's almost the right aspect ratio but then it is almost one 24" monitor wide.

The image behaves the same way in a single note window as well.

This issue seems like a flaw in how EN treats image scaling in notes. I don't know if it stems from how it crops/rotates or if there's some other factor.

It doesn't seem like too much to ask that photos maintain their captured aspect ratio and scale regardless of how they come into the app.

Support ticket here I come!

EN_aspect_ratio_Side_list_viewX.png

In the photo edit mode in iOS where you have the blur and other annotation tools along the right side,

up at the top there are three little circles. hitting that gives you the option to crop, rotate and clear annotations.

EDIT- This is in a pro account so these functions may not apply to freemium accounts

2014-06-28%2017.51.39.png

• Level 5*

In the photo edit mode in iOS where you have the blur and other annotation tools along the right side,

up at the top there are three little circles. hitting that gives you the option to crop, rotate and clear annotations.

Thanks SlickSlack, you taught me something new today!  That's great!

OK, now I can confirm your issue.  When the image is cropped using EN iOS it shows up skewed when viewed in EN Mac when the Note window is reduced less than the actual image width.

Definitely looks like a BUG to me.  Suggest you submit a Support Ticket (see below).

• 2 years later...

My photos taken in EN using an iPhone also sometimes get distorted when viewed on the Mac. The aspect ratio is wrong. Can this issue please be fixed soon, so that aspect ratio is always preserved? It makes using EN quite a burden.

Screenshot 2016-10-25 10.27.16.png

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
10 hours ago, unavailable said:

Three years and still a problem. Came on here looking for a solution because my pictures started doing that.

When I updated everything to the newest versions (not just Evernote but Mac, iOS, etc.), that ended up working for me. Worth a shot?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still seeing this problem with EN Mac 6.11.1 showing photos taken with EN iOS with a skewed aspect ratio.  

It seems like it'd be a simple problem to fix and it's obviously a 3+ year old bug. I take so many pictures in Evernote, it would be time prohibitive to  cut and paste every picture again in the Mac version just to see the proper aspect ratio.

I would add that the online, web based version of EN shows the images just fine.

Has anyone tried this in OneNote? It's cross platform now and supposed to finally be on par with Evernote feature wise.

Archived