Evernote on iPhone only syncing one way

For some reason the Evernote app on my iPhone is only syncing in one direction. It will download notes that were changed on my Mac or Windows desktop versions, but it never uploads changes made on the iPhone. The new and changed notes on my iPhone display with an up arrow in a little green triangle at the top right corner of the summary screen.

I have tired going to the Settings screen and clicking the Sync Now button. This will download changes but not send the iPhone's changes back up. I have tried logging out of Evernote and logging back in. I have tried closing the iPhone app completely and then re-opening it. I have tried turning Airplane mode on and off, and turning my iPhone on and off. (These are all tips I picked up from Googling "evernote ios sync problems".) Nothing works.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or know how to fix it? At this point, I am going to give up on Evernote entirely because being able to make changes on my phone and send them back to the desktop app is a crucial part of how I use it. If that doesn't work, the entire program is useless to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe something similar happened this week with my EN on iPhone, iPAD and Windows desktop.  A text note created on iPhone did sync w/my iPad version but after many attempts has still not synced on my Windows desktop application.

And syncing from the desktop updates notes on both iOs apps.

Was just about to create a support ticket but wanted to see if anyone else had recent similar experience.  Have you submitted this bug yet?

Was just about to create a support ticket but wanted to see if anyone else had recent similar experience.  Have you submitted this bug yet?

Yes, I submitted Support Ticket #594448 on June 21 and have gotten no response whatsoever. I will note that EN on my iPhone did eventually sync with my Mac desktop, but is back to only downloading updated notes and not uploading ones created or modified on the iPhone. The data set is extremely limited, however, because I have pretty much given up on using EN and have moved on to other applications.

I hope you are able to find an answer. If I ever do hear back about the support ticket I will post an update in this thread.

Rosalita, I've flagged your post here for staff attention to see if that gets some support action on it sooner rather than later. Keep in mind tomorrow is an american holiday so if you don't here from anyone today, you won't hear from anyone until Monday. 

Rosalita, I've flagged your post here for staff attention to see if that gets some support action on it sooner rather than later. Keep in mind tomorrow is an american holiday so if you don't here from anyone today, you won't hear from anyone until Monday. 

Thanks Scott - I will wait to submit a support ticket until next week and see if Rosalita's ticket has been reviewed and handled.

It has been some time since I have had a bug like this surface in my mobile use of EN, so kudos for a nice run there.

Yes, I submitted Support Ticket #594448 on June 21 and have gotten no response whatsoever. I will note that EN on my iPhone did eventually sync with my Mac desktop, but is back to only downloading updated notes and not uploading ones created or modified on the iPhone. The data set is extremely limited, however, because I have pretty much given up on using EN and have moved on to other applications.

I hope you are able to find an answer. If I ever do hear back about the support ticket I will post an update in this thread.

Rosalita - hoping for good news when your ticket is reviewed.  Thanks for posting when you hear more...

Just recognized that one of the notes created on my iPhone has synced with the Windows Desktop app.  May have occurred earlier than today (I did take yesterday off for the Fourth!!), but very pleased to see this.

ScottLougheed

Can you confirm that work was done on this bug?

rosalita

Can you see any synced notes in your account?

Thanks!

Misleading though the funny badge may be, we moderators/evangelists are not EN staff so we have no real insider knowledge. As such I don't have any info to give you regarding this bug! You and I know the same. Sync problems are also complicated and may be related to user error, or a bug in the system, or a combo of both, and as such it would be hard to say clearly exactly what this bug is or if the two of you are experiencing THE SAME bug. It could be two different problems manifesting in the same way. But that's beside the point really. What is important is that you get your syncing sorted. Hopefully support gets back to you when they clock back into work Monday.

Just recognized that one of the notes created on my iPhone has synced with the Windows Desktop app.  May have occurred earlier than today (I did take yesterday off for the Fourth!!), but very pleased to see this.

rosalita

Can you see any synced notes in your account?

Thanks!

It's difficult for me to say whether my iPhone is now syncing correctly because I have simply stopped using Evernote on the phone. Without reliable sync I need to use methods that I know will work. I did just create a "test" note and it appears to have synced correctly to the Mac desktop version, so maybe it's fixed? Or maybe it's not. It's just not something I can take a chance on with important notes, so I'm using other applications. At some point soon, I'll migrate everything out of Evernote to OneNote or something similar and uninstall the program completely from iPhone, iPad, and Mac desktop. That decision is being made easier for me by the lack of official support — and I do know it's a holiday weekend but the bug was submitted two weeks ago without any response whatsoever. I also realize that support is prioritzed for paying premium customers, and that's fine. I didn't expect an instant response but I did expect some response by now.

I'm sorry for those of you who rely on Evernote, and I hope the bug or whatever it is is resolved for you. I can see that for non-critical uses it might be a handy program to have around.

Sorry this has been such a frustrating experience for you. I've used Evernote for 4 years on 6 devices and have not experienced the issues you have, so this may be an unpleasant case of bad luck.

I hope that whatever derive you move to after Evernote works better for you.

• 4 months later...

No, this is not an isolated case. I'm having the same problem with my Mac desktop and iOS 7 iPhone. I can't rely on getting changes made on my iPhone to sync with the desktop. Most of the time one note or the other simply disappears in either the desktop or my iPhone. I've also tried the suggested fixes, and yes I am using the free version. If Evernote can't work as a free version, why would I want to chance paying for shoddy syncing? I guess I'll go try OneNote as well.

I need a reliable memo program, and while I like the depth to which I can add media, etc., to my notes here, if I can't rely upon my notes updating in both directions AND being available on both pieces of hardware, it's not worth it.

Kathy, I noticed your posting on an older thread so wanted to just double check that you understand the Sync process. Devices (platforms) do not Sync to each other, they Sync to the Evernote Servers. Are you manually Syncing DOWN from the servers when you start working in Evernote on either device, then manually Syncing back UP to the Servers when finished?

Note that this should be done in addition to whatever timed schedule you have set on you Mac and iPhone.

Please see the graphic in JMichael's post (3rd one down) in the below link:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72206-duplicating-entries-into-evenote-in-two-computers/?fromsearch=1/

I've been using a free account for over a year now and haven't lost a single note, so I I hope this helps. ☺

No, this is not an isolated case. I'm having the same problem with my Mac desktop and iOS 7 iPhone. I can't rely on getting changes made on my iPhone to sync with the desktop. Most of the time one note or the other simply disappears in either the desktop or my iPhone. I've also tried the suggested fixes, and yes I am using the free version. If Evernote can't work as a free version, why would I want to chance paying for shoddy syncing? I guess I'll go try OneNote as well.

I need a reliable memo program, and while I like the depth to which I can add media, etc., to my notes here, if I can't rely upon my notes updating in both directions AND being available on both pieces of hardware, it's not worth it.

I have no idea. I can't find the sync button on my iPhone. And I click the sync button on my desktop, since it doesn't seem as if the automatic part works all the time. 

Yep, I looked at the picture. Looks like the picture is saying that the same note goes to the EN cloud from whatever device I'm using. Wonderful. That's great. So why does it seem as though my notes are going from my iPhone or computer to several clouds before plopping down into the other device. Maybe. 'Cause it sure seems as if my message is doing the equivalent of that dinner party trick where you whisper something in one person's ear who whispers it into the next person's and so on, and by the time it gets around the table, it bears no resemblance to what was originally said. That's about half the time. The other half of the time, my notes disappear. I'll have my groceries list or my hardware list all set and on both devices, then when I actually need that message. Like at the store? It's gone. I don't have it. There is no message. That just makes me so angry because I was counting on that list being there. It was there before, so where does it go?

The other message I'm getting is that I have to click a sync button on my iPhone every time I make a change on my iPhone? Which doesn't sound like what the picture is saying. So, which is it? Click a button every time I make any change on either device? If so, where do I find this sync button on the iPhone, 'cause I've looked for it and can't find one. If not, why isn't it working for me?

To go back a bit, when I set up EN on my computer, I set it up at the same time with all the same information on my iPhone, because I do want the same information appearing in either direction, so I am always in tune with what's happening. That, I had assumed, was the idea of EN. That I could be synchronized between my two devices.

Kathy, below is a link to a Getting Started Guide from the Knowledge Base for your device, as well as a few other that have the same OS. Go through it and it should show you where and how to use the Sync on your iPhone.

http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/ios/

Hopefully, this will clear matters up for you! Good luck. ☺

I have no idea. I can't find the sync button on my iPhone. And I click the sync button on my desktop, since it doesn't seem as if the automatic part works all the time.

Yep, I looked at the picture. Looks like the picture is saying that the same note goes to the EN cloud from whatever device I'm using. Wonderful. That's great. So why does it seem as though my notes are going from my iPhone or computer to several clouds before plopping down into the other device. Maybe. 'Cause it sure seems as if my message is doing the equivalent of that dinner party trick where you whisper something in one person's ear who whispers it into the next person's and so on, and by the time it gets around the table, it bears no resemblance to what was originally said. That's about half the time. The other half of the time, my notes disappear. I'll have my groceries list or my hardware list all set and on both devices, then when I actually need that message. Like at the store? It's gone. I don't have it. There is no message. That just makes me so angry because I was counting on that list being there. It was there before, so where does it go?

The other message I'm getting is that I have to click a sync button on my iPhone every time I make a change on my iPhone? Which doesn't sound like what the picture is saying. So, which is it? Click a button every time I make any change on either device? If so, where do I find this sync button on the iPhone, 'cause I've looked for it and can't find one. If not, why isn't it working for me?

To go back a bit, when I set up EN on my computer, I set it up at the same time with all the same information on my iPhone, because I do want the same information appearing in either direction, so I am always in tune with what's happening. That, I had assumed, was the idea of EN. That I could be synchronized between my two devices.

I'm getting different accounts of how this syncing thing works. One forum topic tells me that I have automatic syncing (I have a free account; I have no interest in paying for something that isn't working well) while this latest link tells me that I must manually sync if I have a free account. Then while I'm exploring the Start Guide, EN syncs. So this guide is not really reassuring me.

Since I have the worst time keeping my grocery list on my phone, I went "searching" for it. Yep. It's gone again from my iPhone. I have three separate notes about groceries on my desktop; I have one. ONE. On my iPhone. It's not even the one I really really need when I go to the grocery store. Nor can I find my note for the hardware store on my iPhone. It shows just fine on my desktop. Even after I manually sync. 

And this issue of the missing notes is not addressed in the guide.

Okay, maybe I can clarify things for you.

When working with the Web client, that means your working directly with the Evernote (EN) Servers, so Syncing should not be needed.

When using a computer or mobile client, automatic Syncing is done according to the schedule you set on each device (client). I use Windows (7) Desktop and Android. I set both to Auto Sync every 5 minutes. However, for safety's sake, the recommended best practices for for manually Syncing, in addition to pre-set auto Syncs is as follows when working on any Client OTHER than the Web one (which, remember, workers directly with the EN Servers):

As soon as you open EN on your iPhone or any other client you might use Evernote on (i.e. a computer or other mobile device), the first thing you should do is MANUALLY Sync DOWN from the EN Servers. This will give you access to all of your sucessfully synced notes.

When you have finished working in Evernote on that client, the last thing you should do is to MANUALLY Sync UP to the EN Servers. The will save your work to the Servers.

Remember, the above steps should be done in addition to the scheduled auto Syncs you have set on all the devices you use.

Also, a couple points to note:

1) I don't know about the iPhone, but on the Android App on my phone, one I have a pre-existing note fully open for editing or create a new one, if I tap on the vertical three dots in the upper, far right side of my screen, a menu appears offering me two options: one is to Save and the other is Settings. If your iPhone offers you the Save option, do NOT mistake it for the Sync function!

2) The mobile clients do not pull down the full contents of your notes when Syncing DOWN from the servers. The pull down what is referred to as the Headers, which consists of the Note Title and possibly the first few lines of a note. However when you click on a note and open it - on android I do this by clicking on a floating green circle with a pencil icon in it - that note will be instantly pulled down from the servers, ready to view or edit as desired.

So, if the Guide shows you where to find the Sync button, and with the tips above, is it making more sense now?

I'm getting different accounts of how this syncing thing works. One forum topic tells me that I have automatic syncing (I have a free account; I have no interest in paying for something that isn't working well) while this latest link tells me that I must manually sync if I have a free account. Then while I'm exploring the Start Guide, EN syncs. So this guide is not really reassuring me.

Since I have the worst time keeping my grocery list on my phone, I went "searching" for it. Yep. It's gone again from my iPhone. I have three separate notes about groceries on my desktop; I have one. ONE. On my iPhone. It's not even the one I really really need when I go to the grocery store. Nor can I find my note for the hardware store on my iPhone. It shows just fine on my desktop. Even after I manually sync.

And this issue of the missing notes is not addressed in the guide.

Wordsgood has a very good description about how sync works across the Desktop (Windows/Mac) and Android clients. 

I do want to clarify a few points:

1) As wordssgood says, the desktop clients sync based on the schedule you set (5 minutes,15 minutes, etc).

However they also sync newly changed notes almost immediately after a change is made and you leave the note regardless of where you are in your schedule sync. So, if you have it set to sync every five minutes, but you make changes to a note, the client will push those changes immediately to the servers, even if it hasn't been 5 minutes. So syncing happens every X minutes and every time you make a change (and then leave the note, such as by clicking on another note). This is a good thing as it means you will almost never have unsynced changes. The desktop applications should also warn if you try and quit while there are unsynced changes, usually making you wait until syncing is done before the application closes. 

2) On the iPhone, there is no set interval for syncing. Syncing occurs:

- Immediately upon launching the application. This will generally be "pulling" changes down from the server to present the most up-to-date info to you as soon as you launch the application

- any time a change is made to a note and you leave the note (such as by entering a different note, or navigating to a different place in the Evernote application, or leaving the evernote application, in which case the final sync occurs in the background). 

You can see notes that are pending synchronization on the iPhone or iPad as they will have a little blue triangle in the top right corner of the note. This will disappear once syncing has occurred. This is normally a matter of seconds. 

You can force a sync on the iPhone or iPad by returning to the main Evernote screen and tapping the little sync button in the top right (on iPhone) which looks like a circle made up of two arrows chasing each other. You can see the last time the application synced by clicking on the gear icon in the main evernote screen. 

When launching the Evernote application on your iPhone, it is probably a good idea to look at the little chasing arrows in the top right and wait until they stop spinning (indicating that syncing has completed) before you trudge into your actual notes, otherwise you might create a sync conflict. 

In general, because syncing is almost instantaneous and occurs immediately upon leaving a note you just made a change to, you shouldn't really have to think about it all that often. I do a lot of work on four different devices and almost never think about syncing at all. In general Evernote knows when it needs to sync... if you start imposing your own schedule on it by hammering the sync buttons, you might in fact do more harm than good. 

That being said, definitely make sure of the following:

1) a sync has occurred before quitting the desktop application. Normally you'll be warned and asked to wait if it hasn't synced, so you shouldn't have to worry about this. 

2) When launching Evernote on iPhone, make sure that you wait for the first sync to complete before access your notes. This should only be a matter of seconds, and sync is complete once the sync button stops rotating. 

3) periodically (e.g., only during troubleshooting) check for any unsynced notes on your desktop client by entering either "side list view" or "top list view", right clicking any of the column headers, and adding the "Sync Status" column. This will give you a visual indicator of which notes are unsynced (the column will display a black dot). You can even sort your notes by sync status so you can see, at a glance how many notes, if any, are not synced. Force a sync by clicking the sync button, then see if those dots are cleared. If not, you've got an issue....

But I honestly can't stress this enough, syncing really isn't something you need to be thinking about when things are working smoothly. If you are thinking about it a lot, then there are two possibilities:

1) You are over-thinking something that you really just need to let Evernote control (for the most part), and by meddling and intervening, you might have caused an issue.

2) There is a real, honest-to-god technical issue that is making sync not work properly and forcing you to dwell on it. 

Of course, 1 is hard to diagnose without first dealing with possibility 2. We need to make sure there isn't some technical problem that is at play here before we can suggest that you relax and put sync out of mind for a bit. 

So, what I recommend is to go to your desktop client, add the sync status column, and sort by sync status. That will help us figure out if there are any notes on your desktop that are chronically not syncing. The best way to determine this is to enter the "all notes" view by clicking on the "notes" button in the sidebar, then sorting by sync status. 

If there are notes that seem to be stuck, then we can move on from there and try and figure out why this might be. But first lets see if there are notes that aren't syncing properly. 

Well, I reloaded the app into my desktop and on my iPhone. Changed the password. Synced manually from both devices. And I'm still missing one of my notes. I haven't looked for any others, as I am more concerned with getting this ONE note. It will not upload from my desktop. Every great once in a while, it actually does make it over to my iPhone. But that's more an occasion for champagne than an expectation - it happens so rarely that I can afford the good French stuff for that moment of celebration. For some reason, the note has a greater chance of making it to my desktop from my iPhone. But I still can't count on it.

I've gone through the advice everyone has provided. It's not helping. I had to rush off to the grocery store this afternoon. I've learned to check my iPhone before I head out. Yep, I had to manually enter my grocery list AGAIN into my phone so I'd have it. I only had time to enter the basic necessities. You'd think I'd've learned by now that I can't count on EN.

Yes, it's quite possible that I'm over-syncing. I never expect it to work (why I'm still trying, I'm not sure). I found the sync button in Settings on my iPhone. I found the sync button on my desktop. I cannot find a sync button on the Evernote Web. Of course, I can't find "Groceries" on EN Web or iPhone either.

I couldn't find anything in my iPhone, then I googled it and Evernote says "

iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

1. Click your username from the home page of your iOS device (upper left)
  2. Scroll down and Click the "Activity log" button (almost at the bottom of the page)
  3. Press the "Mail" button at the top of that page and mail the log to your own email address
  4. Download the log on your desktop computer, then attach this file to a help ticket"

Which doesn't help because I don't see my username on my home page. I never have. Ah, never mind. I thought it meant the home page of my iPhone.

Okay, this is my iOS Activity Log

2014-11-27 00:30:43.403 [lvl=2] +[ENLogging setupGTMLoggingWithPath:verboseLogging:] ---------------------------------------------------

2014-11-27 00:30:43.412 [lvl=2] -[EVEAccountContext initWithLongLivedAuthResult:serviceHost:unifiedFileSystem:] **********

The Activity Log may contain information about your account and notes. For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.

When providing log information, feel free to edit the file to remove anything you do not want to send us.

2014-11-27 00:30:43.423 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine init] self=0x1701b9980
2014-11-27 00:30:43.567 [lvl=2] -[EVEBusinessCardSocialCredentialManager linkedInPromotionOfferEndDate] promotion offer end date:(null)
2014-11-27 00:30:43.568 [lvl=2] -[EVEBusinessCardSocialCredentialManager linkedInTokenInitialRegisteredDate] token registered date:(null)
2014-11-27 00:30:43.568 [lvl=2] -[EVEBusinessCardQuotaManager loadTrialCount] loaded _usageCount = 0
2014-11-27 00:30:43.576 [lvl=2] -[EVEBusinessCardQuotaManager determineStatus] _allowUnlimitedBusinessCardScan = 0, _allowBusinessCardScan = 1, _usageCount = 0
2014-11-27 00:30:43.593 [lvl=2] +[EDAMHTTPClient clientVersionString] Client name: Evernote iPhone/313133 (en-US); iPhone6,1/iPhone OS (8.1.1);
2014-11-27 00:30:43.735 [lvl=2] -[ENCacheManager initWithAccountContext:listenForStartNotifications:] <EVEAccountContext: 0x12de16d60> YES self=0x174164380
2014-11-27 00:30:43.796 [lvl=2] -[EVENavigationController updatePopGestureState] Pop Gesture disabled
2014-11-27 00:30:43.916 [lvl=2] -[EVENavigationController updatePopGestureState] Pop Gesture enabled
2014-11-27 00:30:44.098 [lvl=2] -[EVENavigationController updatePopGestureState] Pop Gesture enabled
2014-11-27 00:30:44.117 [lvl=2] __48-[EVEAppDelegate registerForRemoteNotifications]_block_invoke registering
2014-11-27 00:30:44.146 [lvl=2] __48-[EVEAppDelegate registerForRemoteNotifications]_block_invoke registered
2014-11-27 00:30:44.435 [lvl=2] -[EVEMessagingSyncEngine considerSyncing] CoreMessage shall we sync?
2014-11-27 00:30:44.442 [lvl=2] -[EVEMessagingClient applicationDidBecomeActive:] CoreMessage service became reachable and application is active
2014-11-27 00:30:44.453 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine logNetworkStatus] reachability currentReachabilityStatus=WiFi
2014-11-27 00:30:44.456 [lvl=2] -[ENCacheManager stop] self=<ENCacheManager: 0x174164380>
2014-11-27 00:30:44.656 [lvl=2] __54-[ENAddressBookController reloadPeopleFromAddressBook]_block_invoke EVEDelegateLogger: finished loading!
2014-11-27 00:30:44.745 [lvl=2] -[EVEMessagingSyncEngine considerSyncing] CoreMessage shall we sync?
2014-11-27 00:30:44.747 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncStarted] Sync started.
2014-11-27 00:30:44.747 [lvl=2] __80-[ENSyncEngine syncIgnoringNetworkPreference:forcingAuthRefresh:localChangeIds:]_block_invoke884 Contacting Evernote server...
2014-11-27 00:30:44.750 [lvl=2] __45-[EVEMessagingClient considerPendingMessages]_block_invoke 0 messages pending
2014-11-27 00:30:44.803 [lvl=2] __41-[EVEMessagingSyncEngine considerSyncing]_block_invoke CoreMessage Sync finished without retrieving message chunks.
2014-11-27 00:30:44.814 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator messagingSyncEngineDidFinish:] Provider type=3 will refetch contacts
2014-11-27 00:30:44.815 [lvl=2] -[EVEEvernoteContactProvider fetchContacts] Begin fetching Evernote contacts
2014-11-27 00:30:44.815 [lvl=2] -[EVEEvernoteContactProvider contactFetchCompleted] End fetching Evernote contacts
2014-11-27 00:30:44.816 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator contactProvider:didFetchContacts:withError:] Provider type=3 fetched 0 contacts
2014-11-27 00:30:44.817 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactsDataStore createOrUpdateContacts:] Create or update 0 contacts
2014-11-27 00:30:44.825 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator messagingSyncEngineDidFinish:] Provider type=1 is disconnected, try to deactivate all contacts from it
2014-11-27 00:30:44.837 [lvl=2] __41-[EVEMessagingSyncEngine considerSyncing]_block_invoke CoreMessage Sync finished without retrieving message chunks.
2014-11-27 00:30:44.838 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator shouldRefetchForProvider:] Provider type=3 has not reached next refresh time point 2014-11-28 06:30:44 +0000
2014-11-27 00:30:44.847 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator messagingSyncEngineDidFinish:] Provider type=1 is disconnected, try to deactivate all contacts from it
2014-11-27 00:30:44.928 [lvl=2] __79-[EVEAppDelegate application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken:]_block_invoke Registered for push notifications
2014-11-27 00:30:45.039 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _synchronizeAccountsWithIds:processServerChanges:processLocalChanges:] Synchronizing personal account...
2014-11-27 00:30:45.051 [lvl=2] __31-[ENSyncEngine serverSyncState]_block_invoke sessionCount=1
2014-11-27 00:30:45.135 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine isFullSyncRequiredWithServerWithServerSyncState:]   current update count: 912
2014-11-27 00:30:45.135 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncServerChanges] [serverSyncState updateCount]=915, self.currentSyncUpdateCount=912
2014-11-27 00:30:45.137 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(ChunkDownloader) syncChunkDownloaderWithFullSyncAtUSN:incrementalSyncAtUSN:chunkSize:] incrementalSyncAtUSN=912, fullSyncAtUSN=912
2014-11-27 00:30:45.244 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) syncNotes:retryOnError:ignoreClientUUIDs:] Syncing 2 notes...
2014-11-27 00:30:45.357 [lvl=2] __29-[EVEExtensionNoteList notes]_block_invoke Reading notes from: file:///private/var/mobile/Containers/Shared/AppGroup/9A8C5C3C-440A-4C75-9B2F-2CF708F27D9D/notes.plist
2014-11-27 00:30:45.383 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _synchronizeAccountsWithIds:processServerChanges:processLocalChanges:] Synchronizing shared notes
2014-11-27 00:30:45.389 [lvl=2] -[ENAccountContext syncEngineDidStop:] 
2014-11-27 00:30:45.389 [lvl=2] -[ENCacheManager startWithBackground:] self=<ENCacheManager: 0x174164380>
2014-11-27 00:30:45.395 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncStoppedWithErrors:] Sync complete. No errors.
2014-11-27 00:30:45.481 [lvl=3] __71-[EVEBusinessCardSocialCredentialManager fetchUserCardScanningEndDate:]_block_invoke EDAMUserException(errorCode:7,parameter:"User.id")
2014-11-27 00:30:45.527 [lvl=2] -[ENCacheManager checkFileSystemIntegrity] File system appears to be in good shape. expected=15, actual=15
2014-11-27 00:30:45.528 [lvl=2] __91-[EVEReminderScheduler scheduleNextRemindersForMeetingNotesWithIDs:areNewNotes:completion:]_block_invoke_2 ENM: checking reminders for (0) meeting notes.
2014-11-27 00:30:45.545 [lvl=2] __39-[ENCacheManager recalculateStatistics]_block_invoke totalSize=48899, cachedSize=48899, uncachedSize=0
2014-11-27 00:30:45.549 [lvl=2] __77-[ENCacheManager fetchNextBatchOfDownloadOperationsUsingBackgroundTransfers:]_block_invoke Processing 0 notes
2014-11-27 00:30:45.568 [lvl=2] __51-[EVEGoogleCredentialManager fetchSharedAuthToken:]_block_invoke_2 shared google token not exist in service
2014-11-27 00:30:45.595 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator contactProvider:didChangeToState:] Provider type=1 has expired or is connected, try to deactivate contacts from it
2014-11-27 00:30:45.600 [lvl=2] -[EVEContactAggregator contactProvider:didChangeToState:] Provider type=1 is disconnected 
2014-11-27 00:30:45.651 [lvl=2] __83-[EVEBusinessCardSocialCredentialManager fetchSharedLinkedInCredentialIfNecessary:]_block_invoke_2 shared token not exist in service
2014-11-27 00:30:45.651 [lvl=2] -[EVEBusinessCardSocialCredentialManager linkedInTokenInitialRegisteredDate] token registered date:(null)
2014-11-27 00:30:46.097 [lvl=2] -[ENCacheManager stop] self=<ENCacheManager: 0x174164380>
2014-11-27 00:30:47.140 [lvl=2] -[EVEMeetingNotificationScheduler updateFeatureAvailability] ENM: local switch status:  (YES)
2014-11-27 00:30:47.140 [lvl=2] -[EVEMeetingNotificationScheduler updateFeatureAvailability] ENM: remote switch status: (2)
2014-11-27 00:30:47.141 [lvl=2] -[EVEMeetingNotificationScheduler updateFeatureAvailability] ENM: availability 1 --> 1
2014-11-27 00:30:47.208 [lvl=2] -[EVEMeetingNotificationScheduler removeStaleNotificationsWithMeetingGUIDs:] ENM: canceling (0) stale meeting notifications.
2014-11-27 00:30:47.906 [lvl=2] -[EVENavigationController updatePopGestureState] Pop Gesture disabled
2014-11-27 00:30:50.819 [lvl=2] -[EVENavigationController updatePopGestureState] Pop Gesture disabled

The desktop...that I can do.

DESKTOP ACTIVITY LOG

* The Activity Log may contain information about your account and notes.

* For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.

* When providing log information, feel free to edit the file to remove anything

* you do not want to send us.

Version: Evernote Mac 6.0.2 (451140)

Locale: en-US

WebKit: 537.78.2

WebCore: 537.78.1

Mac Model: iMac14,1

CPU Type: Intel

CPU Count: 4

CPU Speed: 2.700000 GHz

RAM: 8.000000 GB

Date: 2014-11-27 06:23:34 +0000

2014/11/27 00:01:10:356 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _synchronizeAccountsWithIds:processServerChanges:processLocalChanges:]  | Synchronizing personal account...

2014/11/27 00:01:10:382 I|*   __31-[ENSyncEngine serverSyncState]_block_invoke  | sessionCount=1

2014/11/27 00:01:10:773 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine isFullSyncRequiredWithServerWithServerSyncState:]  |   current update count: 915

2014/11/27 00:01:10:777 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _synchronizeAccountsWithIds:processServerChanges:processLocalChanges:]  | Synchronizing shared notes

2014/11/27 00:01:10:780 I|*   -[ENAccountContext syncEngineDidStop:]  | 

2014/11/27 00:01:10:780 I|*   -[ENCacheManager startWithBackground:]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x608000159860>

2014/11/27 00:01:10:780 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _syncStoppedWithErrors:]  | Sync complete. No errors.

2014/11/27 00:01:10:781 I|*   -[ENCacheManager checkFileSystemIntegrity]  | File system appears to be in good shape. expected=115, actual=115

2014/11/27 00:01:10:783 I|*   __39-[ENCacheManager recalculateStatistics]_block_invoke  | totalSize=922961, cachedSize=922961, uncachedSize=0

2014/11/27 00:01:10:785 I|*   __77-[ENCacheManager fetchNextBatchOfDownloadOperationsUsingBackgroundTransfers:]_block_invoke  | Processing 0 notes

2014/11/27 00:01:11:436 I|*   -[ENCacheManager stop]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x608000159860>

2014/11/27 00:16:25:263 I|*   -[ENBGSyncHelper checkForAutoSync] main | Starting auto-sync...

2014/11/27 00:16:25:272 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine logNetworkStatus] main | reachability currentReachabilityStatus=WiFi

2014/11/27 00:16:25:273 I|*   -[ENCacheManager stop]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x608000159860>

2014/11/27 00:16:25:273 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _syncStarted]  | Sync started.

2014/11/27 00:16:25:274 I|*   __80-[ENSyncEngine syncIgnoringNetworkPreference:forcingAuthRefresh:localChangeIds:]_block_invoke  | Contacting Evernote server...

2014/11/27 00:16:25:274 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _synchronizeAccountsWithIds:processServerChanges:processLocalChanges:]  | Synchronizing personal account...

2014/11/27 00:16:25:274 I|*   __31-[ENSyncEngine serverSyncState]_block_invoke  | sessionCount=0

2014/11/27 00:16:25:670 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine isFullSyncRequiredWithServerWithServerSyncState:]  |   current update count: 915

2014/11/27 00:16:25:674 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _synchronizeAccountsWithIds:processServerChanges:processLocalChanges:]  | Synchronizing shared notes

2014/11/27 00:16:25:677 I|*   -[ENAccountContext syncEngineDidStop:]  | 

2014/11/27 00:16:25:677 I|*   -[ENCacheManager startWithBackground:]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x608000159860>

2014/11/27 00:16:25:677 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _syncStoppedWithErrors:]  | Sync complete. No errors.

2014/11/27 00:16:25:679 I|*   -[ENCacheManager checkFileSystemIntegrity]  | File system appears to be in good shape. expected=115, actual=115

2014/11/27 00:16:25:681 I|*   __39-[ENCacheManager recalculateStatistics]_block_invoke  | totalSize=922961, cachedSize=922961, uncachedSize=0

2014/11/27 00:16:25:682 I|*   __77-[ENCacheManager fetchNextBatchOfDownloadOperationsUsingBackgroundTransfers:]_block_invoke  | Processing 0 notes

2014/11/27 00:16:35:780 I|*   -[ENCacheManager stop]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x608000159860>

2014/11/27 00:23:16:571 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | loading note content, dirty=0 usn=914 d08ae926-74b6-491e-bdf2-436745fb37e6/p80 'Mac Questions'

2014/11/27 00:23:18:106 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Skipping reload of identical HTML: d08ae926-74b6-491e-bdf2-436745fb37e6/p80 'Mac Questions'

2014/11/27 00:23:18:224 I|*   -[EN4AnnouncementsModule awakeFromNib] main | fetching announcements from https://announce.evernote.com/?locale=en_US&platformProduct=mac-evernote&uid=55963155

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "shareButtonLabel" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "hideIndicatorLabelWhenCollapsed" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "contextSectionLabel" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "visible" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "expanded" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "toastNotificationHeaderLabel" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "toastNotificationFooterLabel" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "items" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "chatButtonLabel" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

2014/11/27 00:23:19:206 W|**  -[ENCommonEditorWebView handleJavascriptLog:] main | WARN: Key "hideIndicatorLabelWhenExpanded" not supported! Seen in: [object Object]

First, I'd take a moment to quickly remove your email address from the top of the second activity log. Not something you likely want posted on this forum! 

Second, Thanks for posting those logs. There's nothing immediately suspicious in those logs from what I can tell. Either the problem lies somewhere else, or the batch of logs you provided simply don't capture the issue occurring. Not sure the best way to proceed here. Looking back at your posts I don't think you've indicated if you are a premium user or not. If you are, have you contacted support? They might be able to help you capture better logs or provide some additional troubleshooting. 

With respect to troubleshooting, it isn't clear what you have done in this respect.

Have you tried creating a new note and pasting the contents of your troublesome note into that new note then deleting the original, troublesome note? Does that newly created note sync more reliably?

What are your sync settings on Evernote for your iPhone? For example, do you have "sync only on Wifi" selected? If so, this will mean that Evernote won't sync in locations without wifi, and so if you have a note you modified on your computer at home, but don't open Evernote on your iPhone until you reach the grocery store where there is no wifi, you won't see those changes. Does disabling this setting improve reliability?

I'm struggling to come up with more ideas or suggestions here so I hope that perhaps some of what I have posted above helps, otherwise I'm not sure how much more assistance I can offer. 

Thanks for the tip on the email...duh...

No, I'm not a premium user. I've been test driving EN, and I don't plan to pay for something I can't rely on. 

I've tried deleting the notes on both sides (at different times, at the same time) and recreating it on one or the other, then syncing it from the desktop side (didn't know where the sync button was on the iPhone side, so I just assumed it knew what to do. Especially when it did sometimes work. Which is part of what doesn't make sense.

No, I haven't felt brave enough to select Wi-Fi only. I do have Wi-Fi at home and it's always on. So, it shouldn't be a problem, but like I said, not brave enough. I hate being restricted.

I also have never enabled wifi only. For the most part my notes are text-based and are not a serious burden on my cellular data quota. So we can rule "sync on wifi" out as a possibility. 

If the note exists on both devices, but is not displaying recent changes on one of the two devices, I would recommend the following.

1) Make sure both devices have conducted a sync by manually syncing both of them. 

2) Once you have verified both devices are reporting having recently synced, delete the troublesome note on ONE of the two devices. NOT BOTH. Just one. 

3) On the device from which you just deleted the note, hit the sync button. Wait for it to finish syncing (should be only a second or two).

4) One the second device, force a sync. Wait for the sync to complete.

Does the troublesome note you deleted on the first device also disappear from the second? If so, lets try the following:

1) On ONE of the devices, create a new, blank note. Make sure it is in a synchronized notebook. For this test, lets use your default notebook. 

2) Give the note the title "TEST" and write the words "Evernote is giving me grief" in the body of the note

3) Instruct Evernote on that device to sync. Wait for it to finish syncing (should be only a second or two).

4) On the second device, initiate a sync and wait for it to complete. 

Does the new test note show up on both devices? Are the note contents the same (e.g., title: TEST  Body: Evernote is giving me grief)?

If so, lets try the following:

1) On ONE device, add a word to the end of the existing phrase (e.g., Evernote is giving me grief, UGH!)

2) On that device, initiate a sync and wait for it to complete. 

3) On the second device, initiate a sync and wait for it to complete. 

does the addition of "ugh" (or whatever word you added) appear on the second device?

If not, at which point above did you run into trouble? 

If everything went as expected, this means that things should more or less be working fine. Now, I've made you deliberately press the sync button each time for the purposes of testing, but in reality you should be able to create a note or make a change, then close the note, and Evernote will sync right away. You should almost never have to touch the sync button. 

No problem deleting the note on my iPhone since it rarely shows up on it.

Did the test note on my desktop and manually synced to iPhone where it showed up. Did the added text on the iPhone and manually synced that, then did another and let it auto-sync. It all worked.

Ok so it sounds like perhaps you were working and making revisions to a note that for some reason just didn't want to cooperate! From here on out, I'd avoid hitting the sync button and just be diligent about making sure a sync occurs upon launch and before quitting on any of your devices (this could be a sync you initiate manually or just you verifying there are no notes pending sync). Even the launch/quit syncing should be taken care of automatically, you should only need to verify that the actually took place. 

Lets hope that you no longer see issues with this newly created note. Definitely post back here if you find another note that is causing you grief, though I'd say first thing would be to troubleshoot that note using the same method I outlined in the previous post (e.g., creating a new note, copying the contents from the troublesome note over, deleting the troublesome note, etc), to see if that fixes it. 

Ah, sorry, I jumped the gun here. I suppose I had assumed you would generalize our little troubleshooting above to resolving the actual problem. Here's how I see you proceeding:

Now that we know that newly created notes sync and can be modified without issue, we need to re-create your grocery note. To do this:

1) On ONE of the devices, create a new, blank note. Make sure it is in a synchronized notebook. 

2) Give the note a placeholder title of "Grocery 2"
3) Instruct Evernote on that device to sync. Wait for it to finish syncing (should be only a second or two).
4) On the second device, initiate a sync and wait for it to complete. 

Once we verify that the blank note with the title "Grocery 2" has made it to all devices, lets go back to our first device, the one we created the note on. 
1) Manually re-write your grocery list in the body of the note*
2) Instruct Evernote on that device to sync. Wait for it to finish syncing (should be only a second or two).
3) On the second device, initiate a sync and wait for it to complete. 

Once we verify that the new note contents have propagated to all the devices, we can go ahead and delete the original problematic grocery list note following these:
1) Make sure both devices have conducted a sync by manually syncing both of them. 
2) Once you have verified both devices are reporting having recently synced, delete the troublesome note on ONE of the two devices. NOT BOTH. Just one. 
3) On the device from which you just deleted the note, hit the sync button. Wait for it to finish syncing (should be only a second or two).
4) One the second device, force a sync. Wait for the sync to complete.

Once we have verified the bad grocery list note has been deleted we can hopefully get on with our lives knowing we got rid of the problematic note and have replaced it with a perfectly functioning note. 

DO NOT: Write the list in another application like Microsoft Word or Apple Pages, then copy and paste it into Evernote. Sometimes applications like these can introduce additional formatting code underneath that might be the source of some grief.
I'd also avoid copying the contents of your problematic note and pasting them into the new note. If the problem lies with something quirky in the note contents themselves, manually re-doing the new note avoids copying the problem to the new note. 

No, I'm writing everything in Evernote. And yes, everything seems to be working. Fingers crossed!  Thank you everyone for all your help. I'm not sure what did the trick, but I sure like knowing my grocery list is coming with me to the store!

Archived