Jump to content

Evernote MSI file missing


Go to solution Solved by gnauhm,

Recommended Posts

We are trying to update an install on Evernote 5.4 to 5.4.1 on a Windows 7-64 system and receive a message that the old version can't be uninstalled as the Evernote.msi file is missing. I can't find it anywhere on our system. So, now the program doesn't work at all.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

If you have a search in the forums for "evernote msi" (without the quotes) you'll get several hits.  Raise a support ticket (see below) and try those other threads for possible solutions while you wait for Support to get back to you.  If you're a premium user you could also try the chat option - follow the same link.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
  • Solution

I had the same problem, it could not find the msi file to uninstall the older version to install the newer version, and I couldn't get Evernote running anymore!!!

 

Luckily Evernote keeps a copy of the installation .exe file in the below folder, run the installation file for you current version of Evernote (should be the one previous version of the latest one), it will install your current version again which will fix the msi file. Then run the latest version file to update to the latest version of Evernote.

 

C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

I had the same problem, it could not find the msi file to uninstall the older version to install the newer version, and I couldn't get Evernote running anymore!!!

 

Luckily Evernote keeps a copy of the installation .exe file in the below folder, run the installation file for you current version of Evernote (should be the one previous version of the latest one), it will install your current version again which will fix the msi file. Then run the latest version file to update to the latest version of Evernote.

 

C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

 

Thanks!! You saved me! Had the same problem on one laptop. As I understand, it seems like the evernote.msi file got corrupted?

 

Ronen

Link to comment
  • 4 months later...

I had the same problem, it could not find the msi file to uninstall the older version to install the newer version, and I couldn't get Evernote running anymore!!!

 

Luckily Evernote keeps a copy of the installation .exe file in the below folder, run the installation file for you current version of Evernote (should be the one previous version of the latest one), it will install your current version again which will fix the msi file. Then run the latest version file to update to the latest version of Evernote.

 

C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

I just found this.  I had the same problem and this solution worked perfectly.  Thank you!

 

DEW

Link to comment

I had the same problem, it could not find the msi file to uninstall the older version to install the newer version, and I couldn't get Evernote running anymore!!!

 

Luckily Evernote keeps a copy of the installation .exe file in the below folder, run the installation file for you current version of Evernote (should be the one previous version of the latest one), it will install your current version again which will fix the msi file. Then run the latest version file to update to the latest version of Evernote.

 

C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

Great!!!

Thanks for this. It all works again

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...
On 07.09.2014 at 6:11 PM, gnauhm said:

I had the same problem, it could not find the msi file to uninstall the older version to install the newer version, and I couldn't get Evernote running anymore!!!

 

Luckily Evernote keeps a copy of the installation .exe file in the below folder, run the installation file for you current version of Evernote (should be the one previous version of the latest one), it will install your current version again which will fix the msi file. Then run the latest version file to update to the latest version of Evernote.

 

C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

Thanks a lot for this suggestion! In my case the required version of the installer was not present in this location. But it helped me to find a solution!

Here are the steps I've taken when the required installer (for the currently installed version of the Evernote) for unclear reason was missing and that was not allowing new version of installer to uninstall the existing version of the application:

  1. Go to the "C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate" folder
  2. Find/open "current.xml" file and copy the URL of the current Evernote version installer
    1. If the "current.xml" for any reason is not present - check if there is an "update.xml" - URL of the installer of the Update version could be copied from here, but to download the current version you will need to change version number of the installer in the URL to the one you can find from the Evernote->Help->About menu.
      1. Final URL in this case will looks like: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_<your-CURRENT-evernote-version>.exe,
        for example: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_5.9.9.9915.exe if "5.9.9.9915" is a Currently installed version.
  3. Paste copied URL into Browser address line and download missing installer to local drive
  4. Run the downloaded installer and it will "refresh" current version of Evernote
  5. After that you can check for updates and install newer version of the application

Thanks once more for your help! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried the above approach by finding the current.xml, copying the URL current Evernote version installer. The version number in help>about matched the URL so I pasted in a browser.

It looks like this http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.06.1769.exe

I get the following error.

 ----------------------------------------------------------

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>3CCC288070F3CCAC</RequestId>

<HostId>

j8J67LqEcFBCXSJAHED6FRxwroeAz+8tiB2WJOXRvyAp554JOA5tzQdr2ywfn3bLGyzWzjlnc4k=

</HostId>

</Error>

--------------------------------------------------------

Any help is appreciated. 

dkmanley

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I'm guessing that your link doesn't match a valid version number,  which is why it generates an error.  This link will take you to a version history - http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history which should confirm the correct numbering system.  You may be able to download and reinstall the same version if you prefer to refresh your MSI file.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 5 months later...
On Thursday, April 07, 2016 at 5:44 AM, wbs said:

Thanks a lot for this suggestion! In my case the required version of the installer was not present in this location. But it helped me to find a solution!

Here are the steps I've taken when the required installer (for the currently installed version of the Evernote) for unclear reason was missing and that was not allowing new version of installer to uninstall the existing version of the application:

  1. Go to the "C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate" folder
  2. Find/open "current.xml" file and copy the URL of the current Evernote version installer
    1. If the "current.xml" for any reason is not present - check if there is an "update.xml" - URL of the installer of the Update version could be copied from here, but to download the current version you will need to change version number of the installer in the URL to the one you can find from the Evernote->Help->About menu.
      1. Final URL in this case will looks like: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_<your-CURRENT-evernote-version>.exe,
        for example: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_5.9.9.9915.exe if "5.9.9.9915" is a Currently installed version.
  3. Paste copied URL into Browser address line and download missing installer to local drive
  4. Run the downloaded installer and it will "refresh" current version of Evernote
  5. After that you can check for updates and install newer version of the application

Thanks once more for your help!

Thank you very much for this information wbs. I have been fighting with this since last summer. All fixed and updated now. Much appreciated.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

In my case the msi file was missing on my machine but your suggestion led me to another solution. The dowload of the current evernote (6.4.2) puts an msi file for the new version in c:\users\<your folder>\AppData\Local\Temp 

If you browse to that location directly you can right click on the Evernote.msi file and click "Install" which allowed the Evernote install to complete without trying to update. 

.MSI files typically have command line switches as well which you could use to force the update but I didn't need to use them in this case. 

Also Note: In order to see the .msi files in the aforementioned directory you'll need to make sure your Operating System (mine is windows 7) has "Show Hidden Files and Directors" enabled.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/21/2016 at 10:38 PM, dkmanley said:

I tried the above approach by finding the current.xml, copying the URL current Evernote version installer. The version number in help>about matched the URL so I pasted in a browser.

It looks like this http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.06.1769.exe

I get the following error.

 ----------------------------------------------------------

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>3CCC288070F3CCAC</RequestId>

<HostId>

j8J67LqEcFBCXSJAHED6FRxwroeAz+8tiB2WJOXRvyAp554JOA5tzQdr2ywfn3bLGyzWzjlnc4k=

</HostId>

</Error>

--------------------------------------------------------

Any help is appreciated. 

dkmanley

Hi, it looks you've missed a "." point in version number in the URL. Evernote has 4 sections version number, so if you will change 6.06.1769 -> 6.0.6.1769 and use that URL:

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.0.6.1769.exe

- download will start w/o errors.

Link to comment
On 9/29/2017 at 8:31 PM, ShashankAggarwal said:

If anyone has 6.5.4 MSI installer available and he\she yet to upgrade their version, please share the MSI with me at shashankaggarwal@live.in

Thanks to the link shared by the @gazumped above - here you can find proper version number of the Evernote installer (just 6.5.4 is not enough to download the installer):

http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history

Find the needed version on that page and copy 4 sections version number (A.B.C.D) into following URL:

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_<VERSION_NUM_FROM_PAGE_ABOVE>.exe

for example for version 6.5.4.4720 URL will be constructed as following:

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.5.4.4720.exe

Open that URL in your browser, download the missing installer and refresh evernote using that installer to enable further upgrades. 

Also please see for other solutions and tricks provided by @gnauhm and @rehdwolfe above.

Good luck! :)

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7.4.2016 at 12:44 PM, wbs said:

Thanks a lot for this suggestion! In my case the required version of the installer was not present in this location. But it helped me to find a solution!

Here are the steps I've taken when the required installer (for the currently installed version of the Evernote) for unclear reason was missing and that was not allowing new version of installer to uninstall the existing version of the application:

  1. Go to the "C:\Users\Your Folder\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate" folder
  2. Find/open "current.xml" file and copy the URL of the current Evernote version installer
    1. If the "current.xml" for any reason is not present - check if there is an "update.xml" - URL of the installer of the Update version could be copied from here, but to download the current version you will need to change version number of the installer in the URL to the one you can find from the Evernote->Help->About menu.
      1. Final URL in this case will looks like: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_<your-CURRENT-evernote-version>.exe,
        for example: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_5.9.9.9915.exe if "5.9.9.9915" is a Currently installed version.
  3. Paste copied URL into Browser address line and download missing installer to local drive
  4. Run the downloaded installer and it will "refresh" current version of Evernote
  5. After that you can check for updates and install newer version of the application

Thanks once more for your help! 

Thanks! That totally helped.

Only for some reason in my case it was the folder

C:\Users\Your Folder\Evernote\AutoUpdate

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 25/10/2017 at 9:18 PM, Netscape Navigator said:

Thanks! That totally helped.

Only for some reason in my case it was the folder

C:\Users\Your Folder\Evernote\AutoUpdate

Yup.  Since that fix was posted,  Windows required Evernote to move their storage around a bit.  Yours is the new standard location.

Link to comment
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/28/2019 at 7:53 AM, Mushy said:

I have the same issue with version 6.17.7.8474. I can't seem to find the copy of that version online and its not working with  http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_6.17.7.8474.exe 

Any help is appreciated 

Hi.  Is your current version of Evernote usable?  Can you uninstall it with Windows or Revo Uninstaller?  What device and OS version do you have?

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...