Feature suggestion: Improved numbered lists

mfreund

Idea

24 replies to this idea

I will chime in on desiring additional numbered list formats.

My preference is for

1. Primary topics

1.1 A secondary topic

1.1.1 exploring deeper

1.1.2 WIth long paragraphs these are easy to reference during a meeting

1.2 Referencing the 'where we are' is much easier for people to follow in a conversation.

2. This is easier than saying '2, sub-section 1, sub-section 3' addresses concerns related to the distribution of property at the second residence.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*

I will chime in on desiring additional numbered list formats.

My preference is for

1. Primary topics

1.1 A secondary topic

1.1.1 exploring deeper

1.1.2 WIth long paragraphs these are easy to reference during a meeting

1.2 Referencing the 'where we are' is much easier for people to follow in a conversation.

2. This is easier than saying '2, sub-section 1, sub-section 3' addresses concerns related to the distribution of property at the second residence.

This is often called the "Legal Numbering" format, and I much prefer it.

It makes it very easy to refer to a particular sub-section.

Of course, the best approach is to provide the user with options for the numbering format.

• Like 3

Agreed different formatted numbered lists as well as subnumbering would be great.

My problem with lists is shown in the following snipit created on my Microsoft Windows 7 version:

1. Leonard ...
    • Notes on Leonard
  1. James ...
    • Notes on James
      • Subnotes

The list was created using a numbered list and entering Leonard , then moving to a bulleted list for the next line, then going back to a numbered list for James. What I'd really like is for Evernote to return to the previous list and number "James Crocker" as "2" instead of starting a new list. Every HTML editor I've ever worked with can do this; why can't Evernote?

I consider this a bug fix and not a feature request.

• Like 1

I fully agree with these issues re numbered and multi list formatting.  This has been driving me crazy for years.  Why are we not able to do this in Evernote?  And to subject your users to this for years (ever since I've started using Evernote about 7-10 yrs ago I think) is bordering on ridiculous for user support.

To re-address these issues, we should be able to implement multi-level formatting incorporating both numbers and various styles of bullets such as the following:

1.  first line of text

o sub level element

o next sub level element

- 2nd sub level element

o return to first sublevel

2.  return to primary level with continuation of numbering from above

o continuation of above sublevel formating upon indent

- continuation of above 2nd sublevel formatting on further indent

o contination of sublevel formatting above on reverse indent

3.  continuation of primary level numbering by reverse indent to this level

Furthermore, successive sublevels should have options for bullet or numbered formatting including these:

o 

-

(1)

(a)

+

etc

Finally, you should be able to take an existing entry or listing in text format and convert it to a multi-level numbered, bulleted, or combination of numbers and bullets.  Currently, this is the only way possible of creating a multi-level list of numbers and bullets.  (You first type in your text list w/o the numbered or bulleted formatting.  Then you introduce numbered list formatting to everything.  Then you indent the items you want to add bull

Like the following:

First step:

item 1

item 2

item 3

item 4

item 5 

item 6

item 7

item 8 

item 9

item 10

2nd step:  highlight these entries and click Insert Numbered List

1. item 1
  2. item 2
  3. item 3
  4. item 4
  5. item 5 
  6. item 6
  7. item 7
  8. item 8 
  9. item 9
  10. item 10

3rd step:  highlight entries to convert to bulleted list and click Increase Indent.  Then click Insert/Remove Bulleted List.  Repeat as needed.

1. item 1
    • item 2
    • item 3
    1. item 4
  2. item 5
    • item 6
    • item 7
    1. item 8
      • item 9
  3. item 10

As you can probably surmise, this is very cumbersome and tricky.  And if you make a mistake, good luck on trying to correct it or even to insert another item at any point in this listing and attempt to have it a numbered formatted item with continued and appropriate numbering considering everything above.  (For example, try to insert an item after item 9 and convert it to a numbered item at the 2nd sublevel indicating 

2.  item 9.1

Oh, by the way, did I also forget to mention "why is there not an UNDO button???"  This is SORELY needed.  And I can't believe I'm the only one who's thought this over these last 8+ years.  What is the Development Team and leadership even thinking when they think enhancements?  These are BASIC needs with this type of an app.  PLEASE put your attention into these kinds of enhancements rather than questionable value "FLUFF".   As I tried to impress upon those I worked with for many years on IT development and design projects, "SUBSTANCE NOT AROMA"

• Like 2

There hasn't been a reply to the actually problem – because I agree with all the users above. And i desperately need an extended version for numbering a list. is there hope for improvement on that issue?

Would be great to get a reply from an employee, who knows :-)

I have to agree, unless I'm missing something, the list numbering in Evernote is sorely lacking. When I create lists, I only see the ability to create one level and if I want nested lists, I have to manually indent and number those items. It does appear in the thread below that there were supposed to be some improvements. 

The other problem is when you put stuff between your numbered list and then want to assign a number evernote starts over at 1 it does not start at the number you left off would not be so bad if they had a way to tell it what number to start at.

This has been this way for a long time so this must be intended that evernote is not quite the note taking machine they try to sell it as

• Like 1

Agreed. I'm surprised that I can't at least adjust the type of bullets I want to use for a list. If I choose unordered, I should be able to pick whether I want a dot or some other shape. If I choose an ordered list, I should be able to pick between letters, numbers, and formatting thereof (for example, letters in parentheses, numbers followed by a period, etc.)

For those who don't know, you just press Shift + Enter (Return) and then manually write 1.1. if it is under 1, or 2.1. if it is under 2.
Anyway, I agree that this functionality is a must for such a product like a Evernote.

Oh, by the way, did I also forget to mention "why is there not an UNDO button???"  This is SORELY needed.  And I can't believe I'm the only one who's thought this over these last 8+ years.  What is the Development Team and leadership even thinking when they think enhancements?  These are BASIC needs with this type of an app.  PLEASE put your attention into these kinds of enhancements rather than questionable value "FLUFF".   As I tried to impress upon those I worked with for many years on IT development and design projects, "SUBSTANCE NOT AROMA"

You can Undo in Evernote for Mac by using the Command + Z keyboard command or by navigating to Edit > Undo. 

• Like 2

I'd also like numbered lists to do something other than:

1. parent

1. child

2. parent

1. child

2. child

Letters or decimal points for children would be a great improvement!

It looks like this was brought up as far back as August 2013 and it a staff member said it was imminent.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how to 'vote' this suggestion up so I'll just add a reply.  Just about all of the options above would work for me.  Shouldn't this be a relatively simple solution to put in as it seems most text editors have this functionality built-in already?

Anyway... One Vote Up from me!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, bweiske said:

I'm not sure how to 'vote' this suggestion up so I'll just add a reply.  Just about all of the options above would work for me.  Shouldn't this be a relatively simple solution to put in as it seems most text editors have this functionality built-in already?

Anyway... One Vote Up from me!

Scroll to the top of this page and you will see the voting mechanism.

One of the things that really annoy me about EN lists is the huge amount of wasted white space. I would love that to be adjustable, but I'd settle for less, and have it based on font size rather than fixed number of pixels. I'd also really like to have an unordered list with no bullet!

This problem still exists in version 7.0.2. Multi-level lists are never numbered numerically at every sub-level. This is a bug—not a feature request. And it is disturbing that it's existed for at least four years with no attention paid to it by the company.

How does the company expect Mac users to pay for its product when it cannot implement numbered lists properly? This bug is a dealbreaker for me, as I use numbered lists constantly.

Deal breaker for me too.  I was introduced to Evernote recently and I was absolutely amazed by it.  I watched a few hours of YouTube videos on its use.  I was ready to go paperless.  I jumped in and started with something I used to do in my other note taking app.  I keep a list of weekly accomplishments at work.  This list is a brief outline of accomplished tasks, with sub items with explanations.   Unfortunately, it came out like:

1. Task Accomplished
    1. How it was accomplished
      1. Any problems encountered
    2. Other notes.

I need

1.  Task
     A.  How
           i.  Problems
     B.  Other

I just do not believe it has so many other great features that must have been difficult to accomplish, and simple formatted numbering and outlining has never been in the product for years.

Sorry guys, I am going back to OneNote for this one basic need.  Evernote blows OneNote away in so many ways, but this simple formatting issue is something that I use and rely on every single day, in over 75% of my notes.  

I am glad I found this before I put out some money on the Premium version.

Evernote has a really big problem with number list... it drives me crazy. I am seriously considering unsubscribing my annual subscription and go with another app if they don't fix it soon. Come on! This is a basic text editing feature.