How to sync evernote offline

Hi All,

I am a avid user of evernote, having it installed on my office desktop, personal laptop at home and also in my android smartphone. All was well until few days back due to stricter company policies, access to evernote service was blocked in my office. I do most of my note making in office but now I cant sync them with the server due to firewall restrictions in place.

I thought of a work-around for this. Since I could still use the software on my desktop (without it getting synced) I continued note making offline.Then one day I copied the database folder of evernote present in my offical desktop and tried to replace the database folder in my personal laptop with that thinking that now my laptop will get all the notes created in office and I will be able to sync using my home internet network. But voila! Evernote service stops abruptly and hangs after asking my password to connect to the server. I hope I have made it amply clear.

I am clueless as to how can I copy the database externally and get my work done. Please help me folks. I have lot of important data lying on my official pc to sync but I cant.

I am attaching the log generated after the error as it might help in any analysis.

exc776F.txt

• Level 5*

Let me get this straight: are these separate accounts, or the same account? May not matter in the long run, though. And are you interested in only "syncing" notes made from your work machine onto your home machine?

Moving databases between different machines sounds like a problematic scenario. I understand that it's probably possible, and sometimes necessary in the case of machine/hard drive failure, but this kinda makes me nervous. This problem is probably beyond the abilities of forum users to diagnose; you'd be better off opening a support request (see the link in my signature). Assuming that this worked, though, once you had your work database loaded into your home Evernote, what were you going to do with it, since at that point, you no longer had access to your original home notes? Or were you planning on swapping back and forth, hone --> work at the start of day, and work --> home at the end of the day?

Hi All,

I am a avid user of evernote, having it installed on my office desktop, personal laptop at home and also in my android smartphone. All was well until few days back due to stricter company policies, access to evernote service was blocked in my office. I do most of my note making in office but now I cant sync them with the server due to firewall restrictions in place.

I thought of a work-around for this. Since I could still use the software on my desktop (without it getting synced) I continued note making offline.Then one day I copied the database folder of evernote present in my offical desktop and tried to replace the database folder in my personal laptop with that thinking that now my laptop will get all the notes created in office and I will be able to sync using my home internet network. But voila! Evernote service stops abruptly and hangs after asking my password to connect to the server. I hope I have made it amply clear.

I am clueless as to how can I copy the database externally and get my work done. Please help me folks. I have lot of important data lying on my official pc to sync but I cant.

I am attaching the log generated after the error as it might help in any analysis.

It's helpful if you mention what OS you're using, when asking for help.  But as Jeff pointed out, it sounds like this is a problem waiting to happen.  It's easy enough to take the database from one computer to another (as long as they are using the same OS & the same major EN version) & I've done it successfully many times.  (Please search the board on backup/restore as this has been discussed a lot.)  But that's primarily for when you are migrating to a new computer.  The scenario you are describing means you would need to take a copy of your work database home, overwrite the home database, then after making any changes at home, backup that database & take it to work.  Any time you make a change on one computer, if you skip backing it up & putting it on the other computer, you're going to lose that information.  Evernote is a cloud service & not designed for this workflow.

IMO, the best workaround would be to regularly export your work notes to enex format & then import the enex file on your home computer.  Please search the board on this topic for more information.

Let me get this straight: are these separate accounts, or the same account? May not matter in the long run, though. And are you interested in only "syncing" notes made from your work machine onto your home machine?

Moving databases between different machines sounds like a problematic scenario. I understand that it's probably possible, and sometimes necessary in the case of machine/hard drive failure, but this kinda makes me nervous. This problem is probably beyond the abilities of forum users to diagnose; you'd be better off opening a support request (see the link in my signature). Assuming that this worked, though, once you had your work database loaded into your home Evernote, what were you going to do with it, since at that point, you no longer had access to your original home notes? Or were you planning on swapping back and forth, hone --> work at the start of day, and work --> home at the end of the day?

Yes, you are right on what you have said in the end. That is probably the only solution left for me now and yes the accounts in both the places are same.

Hi All,

It's helpful if you mention what OS you're using, when asking for help.  But as Jeff pointed out, it sounds like this is a problem waiting to happen.  It's easy enough to take the database from one computer to another (as long as they are using the same OS & the same major EN version) & I've done it successfully many times.  (Please search the board on backup/restore as this has been discussed a lot.)  But that's primarily for when you are migrating to a new computer.  The scenario you are describing means you would need to take a copy of your work database home, overwrite the home database, then after making any changes at home, backup that database & take it to work.  Any time you make a change on one computer, if you skip backing it up & putting it on the other computer, you're going to lose that information.  Evernote is a cloud service & not designed for this workflow.

IMO, the best workaround would be to regularly export your work notes to enex format & then import the enex file on your home computer.  Please search the board on this topic for more information.

Thanks for the info on enex. Let me do a search on that. I am using windows 7 in both the places.

Archived