Evernote Mac hide notes list

DustinH

Idea

I searched online extensively before posting (including posts in this forum).  I can't seem to figure out how to hide the notes list that appears in between the shortcut/sidebar and the actual note body -- I can change the location or style of the list using the icon on the top right / immediately left of the actual note input body -- card view, expanded card view, snippet view, etc. but I can't actually find out how to hide this panel!

I am using Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and Evernote 5.5.1.

A previous forum post here said OSX Lion had a 'hide favorites' option which hid this panel but I do not see this option on any menu items.

It is very hard to use the software with the side panel always present because (a) it takes up 1/3rd of the window, ( B) I can't pull up notes with a work colleague sitting next to me because some private notes are displayed in the side panel (obviously, I could show a different folder of notes in the panel but it is too annoying to have to think about this every time), and © it is very distracting and actually hard to work when you see a huge list of notes in your peripheral vision that you can't get rid of unless you move the note you are working on into a separate window.

Why is there not a simple show/hide panel widget icon?   If there is, am I missing it?  Please help.. great software but I can't use it like this! 

• Like 3

41 replies to this idea

A lot of things weren't ported to the MAC version

All of the functionality next to these shortcuts is  gone: F5, F6 , F10, F11...

upVOte this issue so they get to fix it.

Upvote for adding this feature to mac client, especially as an auto-hide feature.

I don't want to have to constantly be opening and closing new windows, a feature to auto-hide the 2 columns whenever I am working on the individual note, with a button that reopens it would help a lot.

Atom does this really well, and OneNote has this feature

• Like 1

I don't believe the note list can be hidden because it is they only way you can access notes. 

Some suggestions:

1) Create a notebook dedicated to your personal and private notes so that can isolate them from your work stuff. When at work, simply do not select the personal notebook. 

2) double click any given note in the note list to open that note in its own window, which can then be resized to occupy any proportion of the screen you like. Do this with all the notes that may be relevant to a coworker peering over your shoulder and minimize the main Evernote window so it cannot be seen. 

• Like 2

You could also try putting your Notes in the List View.  That make it difficult to see anything other than the Title of the Notes in the List.  

In addition, the vertical bar separating the Notes from the Body of the Note can be adjusted and moved to the left slightly.  Place your cursor over the vertical bar and the adjusting symbol will appear as your cursor to make the adjustment. It is not much, but it does give you a bit more space for the Body of the Note.

With what Scott said and these two little things, that is about all you can do, that I am aware of.

• Like 2

I, too, find this frustrating.  What a waste of real estate.   I don't really buy Scott Lougheed's reason above.  Why do you need to "access your notes" when you're focused on the content your current note?  And, often times, I'm copying text from another program and pasting it into EN, so it's nice to have that extra real estate to see the other program. 
FR:  There should be a way, preferably accessible via quickkey, where you can hide that space hog of a list.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

As Scott said in his #2, the easy/quick solution is just to open the Note is interest in it's own window.

I, too, find this frustrating.  What a waste of real estate.   I don't really buy Scott Lougheed's reason above.  Why do you need to "access your notes" when you're focused on the content your current note?  And, often times, I'm copying text from another program and pasting it into EN, so it's nice to have that extra real estate to see the other program. 
FR:  There should be a way, preferably accessible via quickkey, where you can hide that space hog of a list.  

• Like 1

I am begging for this feature!!!!

I usually use Evernote in a split screen on my MBP... In Conjunction with other programs when taking notes... 

A button to expand/collapse the snippet view bar would be awesome...

You could also have a setting when you click anything on the far left sidebar... the snippet view could re-expand automatically... So you can easy access the notes... Thus not effecting the 1 click access to new note searches.... But also the ability to increase note space.

If I want more real estate for a single note in confined spaces I shouldnt be forced to double click the note and open a seperate window... This creates clutter, and a inneficient mission control experience.

This is a real UI design Flaw...

Also for the reason first poster mentioned.

• Like 2

Scott and JMichael, I AM actually using suggestion #2 now as a workaround, and it's...better.   Thanks.

But I concur with what lykoz said.   Most other similar apps (dropbox, CloudON, MSWord & Excel with their Search bars, etc.) have a sidebar that can disappear or be minimized, so much so that I have wasted much time trying to find such a feature on EN,  assuming it must exist.

Scott and JMichael, I AM actually using suggestion #2 now as a workaround, and it's...better.   Thanks.

But I concur with what lykoz said.   Most other similar apps (dropbox, CloudON, MSWord & Excel with their Search bars, etc.) have a sidebar that can disappear or be minimized, so much so that I have wasted much time trying to find such a feature on EN,  assuming it must exist.

I think the new Web Beta demonstrates that Evernote is into experimenting with these types of dynamic interface elements. Lots of things are fading/sliding in and out of view based on user input. Applied smartly (I think it is applied a bit heavy-handedly in the Web Beta), such as you are suggesting, it could be really good and help free up some space, especially for users on small displays or who split screen. 

That being said, Evernote has done little more than add a few buttons and coats of paint to the Mac interface in the last several years. I suspect if anything like you are suggesting will be implemented, it won't be until they do a massive interface overhaul (arguably v. 6 brought such an overhaul, but I don't think it did really. They changed the paint, but didn't knock down any walls).

Only time will tell! It is a good suggestion IMO.

I think the new Web Beta demonstrates that Evernote is into experimenting with these types of dynamic interface elements. Lots of things are fading/sliding in and out of view based on user input. Applied smartly (I think it is applied a bit heavy-handedly in the Web Beta), such as you are suggesting, it could be really good and help free up some space, especially for users on small displays or who split screen. 

That being said, Evernote has done little more than add a few buttons and coats of paint to the Mac interface in the last several years. I suspect if anything like you are suggesting will be implemented, it won't be until they do a massive interface overhaul (arguably v. 6 brought such an overhaul, but I don't think it did really. They changed the paint, but didn't knock down any walls).

Only time will tell! It is a good suggestion IMO.

Sounds Great..

I cant stress how much this would help me, and I believe all mac laptop users...

I am not even working on a 13 inch...

Im running on a 15 inch MBP.. With the Maximum allowable resolution by apple and things like adding tags are impossible in half screen without expanding the program... In fact half screen is almost as little as it will go on this resolution...

In best for retina display on apple biggest screen offering for laptops the 15 inch. the half screen split is not even possible... Not even in the one under the maximum...

If I could reclaim that extra space I would be over the moon.

• Like 1

I use Evernote across several platforms - iOS (iPad and iPhone), Windows and Mac. And I always found it really weird how inconsistent is UI/UX experience between even similar platforms - Windows and Mac.

On Windows you can easily hide the list with a press of a button (F11) - I use this all the time to save myself some screen space. This has been in Evernote Win as long as I remember, but it's completely absent from Evernote Mac for some reason. And I need it even more on Mac as I use it on much smaller screen (laptop 15''). This is probably one of the few features that I really miss while on my MBP.

Agreed! The limited access to the actual note space is a real pain. The program simply doesn't work well in split screen mode on my MBP.  There are many other solutions, including a drop down menu or pop-up menu similar to the one on the browser app. Fix it, please. 

I do some Google search and find that there is no way to do it, only some workarounds, I work out the way below:
Add all the notebooks whose notes are OK for show to others and usually used by me in workplace to one stack, for example, named “Work”, for me, almost half of my notebooks are put into this stack. 
Save the customised search “stack:Work” to the shortcut list in the sidebar. 
In workplace, for any search, firstly click this shortcut, then “stack:Work” will automatically added to the search field, no matter which search criteria will be appended by you, the list of notes shown will be from this stack and so safe. And once you keep the “stack:Work” in the search field, you are free to exposing any embarrassing notes. 
I also like the new “Cmd+J” shortcut, but in the search field conjured by it will not keep the “stack:Work”, another workaround is to leverage one text expander app, I use aText, to quickly add “stack:Work”. 

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, DunwoodyBob said:

Is there a reason Evernote would not give users choice? 

No "hide" option, but you can drag the sidebars and minimize the widths
Personally, I use the top list view

You also have the option of opening notes in their own window.

This is a sensible, basic design element which I guess has been overlooked. If it's included in the Windows version the design team must recognize that it makes sense. I'm not even asking for a button -- a command to hide/unhide the notes list, in the dropdown "view" menu, would be great!

(I like Evernote and plan to use it for a long time... thanks for your work!)

Agree that this is a design flow, and am still waiting after 3 years of somebody in Evernote taking this into consideration. Never seeing this kind of design mistake in other applications in my long mac carrier

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, ipavlin said:

Agree that this is a design flow, and am still waiting after 3 years of somebody in Evernote taking this into consideration. Never seeing this kind of design mistake in other applications in my long mac carrier

Certainly a design choice; not seeing it as a flaw or mistake. Personally,  I consider the "note list" to be an important component.

This request doesn't seem to have much support.  Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion and the count is 1

seconded. sorely needed. while you're at it, please assign a shortcut key for collapse/uncollapse the list. this is already available even in free software like Sublime and Atom where i can just

CMD+\

to toggle the list.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2017 at 4:16 AM, thetrystero said:

seconded. sorely needed. while you're at it, please assign a shortcut key for collapse/uncollapse the list. this is already available even in free software like Sublime and Atom where i can just

CMD+\

to toggle the list.

Atom approach is perfect, please evernote...

I've been using Evernote on Mac for years and I never noticed that until I tried putting my OS X Dock on the left of the screen.  

Then it jarred as unpleasant and I went straight online to find you guys already jarring :) lol

I think what ScottLougheed says is interesting, that Evernote Mac hasn't really received any major enhanced new version for years, apart from a few cosmetic touches of Toolbar touchups here and there lol.  The Windows cousin seems to have had a far greater life.  On my Windows I can make Evernote look practically like Notepad, and I just type in ideas as I find them make them up as I go along and still get to jump back and forth between notes by pressing F11 or using back/forward buttons.

I think I keep seeing this trend on the Mac.  Co's like Adobe develop great Windows versions and the Mac version e.g Flash, Photoshop is buggy and not updated any more.

I don't know what it is about Mac software, Xcode is a lovely environment with Cocoa frameworks / objective C being a superior OO design approach right at the start.  Only IOS gets a look in here it seems.   [EDIT: 3dElephant's idea of using Top List View can be persuaded to do something similar thing if you're willing persevere using the vertical split view drag-and-drop sizing control a bit]

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Pablos544 said:

Evernote Mac hasn't really received any major enhanced new version for years,

We are actually seeing results of the Common Editor project; the UI's of each environment are becoming similar.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We are actually seeing the results of the Common Editor project; the UI's of each environment are becoming similar.

Sure I appreciate what you guys are doing I really do.  I really love Evernote to death and it's got a similar role to a life-support machine in my life so I'm really happy you're trying to make things simpler and slowly but surely get better flow between what's best in each platform so thanks a lot buddy ;)

Totally agree that not being able to hide the middle column is mind boggling. I never use that column for anything and it wastes screen space, and it cannot be slimmed down much. Evernote, please add a simple hide / show button or option. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DunwoodyBob said:

Totally agree that not being able to hide the middle column is mind boggling. I never use that column for anything and it wastes screen space, and it cannot be slimmed down much. Evernote, please add a simple hide / show button or option. 

I dropped the middle column by using top list view

>>I never use that column for anything

I'm curious in how you manage to switch between notes without having a note list.

I too would like to hide the Note List. Please let us disappear this piece of clutter and waste of real estate. In general, the person who said we need this is overestimating the frequency at which many of us move from note to note. As far as navigation goes, I use the star/favorites menu to access the handful of notes I use frequently at any given time. When I want to find something else, there are various ways.

• Level 5*

Users can indicate their support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion 111052950_ScreenShot2019-01-08at08_14_22.png.4592e30e3fdf1ddbb7546e3a654ab23f.png
There's only 5 votes to "disappear this piece of clutter and waste of real estate"; Evernote might take this as an indication of lack of support from the user base.

Until this oversight gets corrected, consider using some of the solutions presented in this discussion.
I use the top list view.

The "sidebar" options are GREAT.  Why not have the same for the "notebook" sidebar? (Note this is NOT the same as the regular "sidebar.")

I would like to hide the vertical "notebook" sidebar, just like the other sidebar, because it just takes up real estate when I type a note.  thank you!

Jefito,

Thank you for responding!  I am on a MAC desktop.  I have attached a screen shot.  

I assume there is a proper name for what I am describing as a "notebook sidebar" but I can't find it easily.  I am calling columns "sidebars", essentially.  On the leftmost column is the "true" sidebar, in its collapsed version.  This menu lets you search for starred items, switch views, search tags, dig in the trash, etc.  I am talking about this sidebar when it is in "all notes" mode (the note icon.)  This sidebar is minimized to 1cm wide in my screen shot.

The column one over to the right from the left-most sidebar column I call the "notebook sidebar."  It displays notebooks in various views, with three options.  

1) list mode (crono, name, etc in my case by "date created")

2) view mode: in my screenshot "card view" though it also could have just as easily been "side list view" or "Top list view".  

3) Tags.  self explanatory.  

These three view options are what I consider the view options of the "notebook sidebar", i.e., the column with the notebooks in it.  I don't see a way to get RID of this column (aka sidebar) or minimize it.  That's what I want to do - minimize or hide it.

The third column over is the note itself, which is all I'm really concerned with.  I don't want to see the 2nd column ("notebook sidebar") and would like to at least collapse it to the same slim margins of the "true" sidebar.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again!

Evernote %22notebook%22 sidebar Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 7.22.09 PM.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, novicenoter said:

The column one over to the right from the left-most sidebar column I call the "notebook sidebar."  It displays notebooks in various views, with three options. ... "card view" though it also could have just as easily been "side list view" or "Top list view".

I've merged this discussion with a similar request

You're referring to the Note List panel
It displays Notes; not Notebooks

>> I don't see a way to get RID of this column (aka sidebar) or minimize it.

In list view, you can reduce the size by dragging the side column

You can also switch to Top List view.  The panel is dropped and the info moved to the top.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, novicenoter said:

I don't want to see the 2nd column

I find the note list useful for navigating notes.

How are you planning to move between notes?