How to log in without server connection?

HerbyDE

Idea

In context of the last DDoS attack: if someone logged out and want to log in (in Evernote Desktop) to read at least the notes in the database or his local notebooks, but there is no connection to the Evernote servers to check his password - what to do?

10 replies to this idea

If Evernote's servers are offline, or you do not have a network connection, you cannot log in. There is no way around this for a user unfortunately, unless Evernote makes some change.

Best practice is to leave your Evernote account logged in on your desktop machine, that way even if Evernote is down or you lack a connection you can still use the application. 

There should be no real reason to log out of the desktop application except for troubleshooting purposes really. 

If you are concerned about another use accessing your Evernote data, you'd be best to password protect your computer user account and create another user account for other users, or enable a guest account. 

• Level 5*

Yep, I reported this issue right after the service outage.  But I'm glad you also reported it in its own thread.

This needs to be a lesson learned by Evernote.  There is a WELL KNOWN solution.

WARNING!!!  Do NOT sign out of your local EN Client (Win/Mac)

I logged out of EN Mac 5.5.1 on one of my Macs just now, and it was a HUGE mistake.  Now I cannot access even my LOCAL copy of the sync'd Notebooks because I cannot sign back in.

This is a well-know use case solved decades ago by Microsoft.   If user login normally requires network (or Internet in this case) access to validate login credentials, BUT the network is DOWN, then the user is validated from a local cache of credentials (encrypted, of course).

A PRIMARY requirement is that the user must be able to access his/her local copy of sync'd Notebooks even if the Network/Internet or Evernote Service is DOWN.

Scott & Michael: Thank you - so I know there is no way ...

I know users who want to log out of Evernote in the office for security and can't change the computer passwords of the company. So an admin of the company _could_ start the computer (usual this is no problem - and normaly you have the chance to "shut down" your office Evernote by remote, but only if the Evernote servers working).

• Level 5

If Evernote's servers are offline, or you do not have a network connection, you cannot log in. There is no way around this for a user unfortunately, unless Evernote makes some change.

This is incorrect. If you have no network connection, you should be able to login and access your local data.

Our hypothesis is that this didn't work in this situation because you did have a network connection but the servers weren't responding.

If this is the case, the workaround would be to disconnect from all networks completely, log in to Evernote, then reconnect to your networks.

• Level 5*

This is incorrect. If you have no network connection, you should be able to login and access your local data.

Our hypothesis is that this didn't work in this situation because you did have a network connection but the servers weren't responding.

If this is the case, the workaround would be to disconnect from all networks completely, log in to Evernote, then reconnect to your networks.

Adjusting, well it is good to know that there is a way to get access to our local storage of sync'd Notebooks.

However, I'm sure you would agree there is no way any of us could have known how to do this.

I also hope that you will revise the EN client login process to detect when the Evernote Service is not available, and then validate credentials from the user's local hard drive.

• Level 5

Adjusting said: 

"the workaround would be to disconnect from all networks completely, log in to Evernote, then reconnect to your networks."

Good point by JMichael - Next time, how is the typical user supposed to know this?

• Level 5

Next time, how is the typical user supposed to know this?

This is a bug which we just discovered. There was no way for a typical user to know how to work around it.

If this typical user encounters this bug before we fix it, hopefully she will find this thread.

• Level 5*

Next time, how is the typical user supposed to know this?

This is a bug which we just discovered. There was no way for a typical user to know how to work around it.

If this typical user encounters this bug before we fix it, hopefully she will find this thread.

Adjusting, Evernote currently has Betas in progress for both EN Win and EN Mac.  Can you get this bug fixed during these betas?

Or at least provide a more helpful error msg, instructing the user how to log in locally.

IAC, you should update your KB immediately!!!

Hm, I just tested it:

First I logged out from all my Evernote accounts.

Second I cutted off my WiFi connection.

Then I started Evernote again, made in fields Username and Password my entries - but nothing happens. No response, no error message, no connect to the notes. It just stays ...

Archived