(Archived) Nested tags

remedy5

Idea

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to set the following evernote behavior:

Select a parent tag to see all nested tags.

Example: If I have a Tag named A, with three tags named 1,2, and 3, then selecting Tag "A" would bring up all records that are tagged with "1", "2", or "3".

This behavior, similar to OmniFocus, would be great in reviewing all tags associated under a parent tag. It would also make it much easier to set up saved searches on nested tags on the iPhone version (different forum I know).

Thanks for listening.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5
I would like to know if there is a way to set the following evernote behavior:

Select a parent tag to see all nested tags.

Example: If I have a Tag named A, with three tags named 1,2, and 3, then selecting Tag "A" would bring up all records that are tagged with "1", "2", or "3".

A work around solution is to name the children as A-1, A-2, and A-3. Then search by using tag:A-* and it will bring up all the children. I added the dash just in case you have other notes that begin with A.

I do something very similar, I have a parent Tag called Location and children/sub tags for places: NY, etc. As long as everything in NY is also tag for Location, selecting Location will find everything in NY too. In your example, everything in 1 will have two tags, A, 1; everything in 2 will be A, 2...

Now when you select the Tag A, everything in 1, 2, and 3 will show

HTH

- JohnT

Great responses, thank you both.

JohnT - if I understand you correctly, you add the parent tag to the child entry as well.

So, for example, you would have an entry with:

"Take picture of empire state building" tagged with 'location' and 'ny'. Not just a single tag of 'ny'.

Is that correct?

• Level 5

Here is an example of some of my nested tags. I try to abbreviate whenever possible.

Family

• Fam-JLB

• Fam-RSB

• Fam-TAL

Insurance
  • Ins-Auto

• Ins-Dent

• Ins-Home

• Ins-Med

Government
  • Govt-Fed

• Govt-State

• Govt-Town

Job

• Job-Abc

• Job-Def

• Job-Ghi

Personal
  • Per-Auto

• Per-Gifts

• Per-House

• Per-Trips

Great responses, thank you both.

JohnT - if I understand you correctly, you add the parent tag to the child entry as well.

So, for example, you would have an entry with:

"Take picture of empire state building" tagged with 'location' and 'ny'. Not just a single tag of 'ny'.

Is that correct?

Yes, exactly...pictures of the empire state building would have two tags like you stated: location and NY....works great for me.

JohnT

These workarounds still don't address the issue of true hierarchical tags, which would be terrific to have.

Example: I tag a photo with "Space Needle," and automatically the tags "Seattle," "Washington", and "USA" are added.

For a nice implementation example, see the iPhoto plug-in "Keyword Manager" at http://bullstorm.se .

I use a similar methodology for my notebooks using namespaces. For instance: I have a notebook titled Code for storing code snippets. Titles within that notebook are as follows:

Perl.Joining Files

Perl.Curl

SQL.Work Report

There's even further granularity. WotW.Research.Checking mail on unprotected network

Anyone else use similar?

Archived