Feature request: extract note title from attached PDF metadata

Keith H

This is a simple request. When a PDF is attached to a note and it has an explicitly-specified document title in its metadata, please use this title rather than the PDF's filename for the title of the note.

• Level 5*

Due respect that's not necessarily a simple request.  What happens if the document title is missing,  too long,  or contains illegal characters?  And what about DOC, DOCX and the whole host of other WP types that can include metadata?  And what about the other dozens of updates, bugfixes and "simple requests" that currently litter the forum?

You can of course (as I'm sure you know) copy any details from the metadata that you'd like into the title or body of the note,  and if you're premium and attaching an OCR'd or OCR-able PDFs which include that metadata title somewhere in the text,  it should be findable on a search.

Thanks for the suggestion,  and I'm sure the devs will consider it - but 1) see the disclaimer below and 2) I don't think this is likely to happen soon,  if at all.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that Evernote supports many attached file types, that not all of them support an embedded title, and that any embedded title present may be too long or otherwise challenging to parse. And as you mention, it is entirely possible to paste metadata into the note body or to use search to find it.

I'd reiterate, however, that I did only suggest PDFs, and then only those that actually have an embedded title. Of all my notes, those that contain PDFs often contain nothing but PDFs, and given that Evernote already auto-names such notes after the attached files, I thought that it would be a nice enhancement to have a human-readable title rather than an often-obscure filename. (JSTOR, for instance, simply numbers their downloadable PDFs, which is not especially helpful.) Evernote's entire purpose is to actively make life easier, and, to me, giving a note a useful default title would be a step in the right direction.

I'm sorry if my suggestion riled you - I'm aware that the forum contains many feature requests, and that a "simple" request may turn out to be anything but. On the other hand, Evernote does actively encourage users to post their feature requests here and a quick search did not reveal any other posts suggesting this same idea.

• Level 5*

:)  There was no riling,  I assure you.  There was possibly a touch of irk at the 'simple request' - there ain't no such thing if you have an app that works on multiple platforms for 100M (ish) users and you need to work in any changes so they don't offend anyone.  Then you get to see riled...

This is the place - well one of them - for feature requests,  and I was genuinely thanking you for the suggestion - and I may have done you a favour;  last time I came out and said "there ain't no way",  the very next release contained the feature that was being requested!

;)

• Level 5*

There's the support link (see below) or Evernote's G+ / Twitter / Facebook (sorry) / LinkedIn pages or groups...  Nothing especially "more" appropriate - devs do read these pages...

Archived