Request: search within tags like you can with Notebooks

At the moment, when you have a tag selected, and go to search, there is no way for you to search within the tag. Instead, you have to search "tag:<tag name>" explicitly each time.

Is there any way of doing this like you can with notebooks? (Ie. just hit the search bar and select the current notebook to search within it)

• Level 5*

In Windows desktop if you click the dropdown next to the search icon you have the option to 'search current content' - which is the current content of the search window.  So:  search a tag,  then subsequently search for other tags or keywords/ phrases... I'd assume there's something similar in Mac.

In Windows desktop if you click the dropdown next to the search icon you have the option to 'search current content' - which is the current content of the search window.  So:  search a tag,  then subsequently search for other tags or keywords/ phrases... I'd assume there's something similar in Mac.

Yessir.  Exactly the same on the Mac desktop client.  All you have to do is click within the Search Bar.  You should get a drop down menu.  At the top of that drop down menu, you can select;  Everything,  My Notes,  or,  The Name of the Current Notebook

• Level 5*

Yessir.  Exactly the same on the Mac desktop client.  All you have to do is click within the Search Bar.  You should get a drop down menu.  At the top of that drop down menu, you can select;  Everything,  My Notes,  or,  The Name of the Current Notebook

Sentinel, I am NOT seeing what you are reporting.  What ver of EN Mac are you using?  I'm running EN Mac 5.5.1 on OS X 10.8.5.

After selecting a Tag in either the Left Panel, or from the Tag Dropdown (next to All Notes), the ONLY categories I see when I click in the Search box are:

• Recent Searches
  • Saved Searches
  • You can also search by...

I do NOT see any choice to "search current content".

What am I missing?

• Level 5*

Mac Mavericks 10.9.3

EN 5.5.1

Here is a look at what I mentioned.

That explains it, almost.    The choices you show appear ONLY when you have a NOTEBOOK selected, NOT a TAG.

Furthermore, even then, the ONLY choices I see are "Everything" and <Name of Selected NB>.  I do NOT see the "My Notes" choice.

So, I still don't see a way to search within the results of a selected Tag.

• Level 5*

Sorry, Sentinel, I still do NOT see "My Notes".  Maybe it's a difference between EN on Mavericks vs Mt. Lion.

In the Tag view, after selecting a Tag, I see "Show nnn Notes" at the top of the Tag screen, NOT the Search box.

But the main point is I still do NOT see any way on EN Mac to search WITHIN a selection of Notes created by a Tag filter.

Maybe it is I who does not understand.

It may well be the difference in Mavericks.

When I click on Tags in the left side bar of the EN UI, I get a view of all my Tags in the main window. I can then click on a Tag, then, click in the Search Bar, and get the drop down menu (seen above). When I click on My Notes option, I get a collection of Notes associated with the Tag I had clicked on. The Tags Section disappears to view the collection of Notes.

Is that the search type you are looking for?

That "My Notes" tab you see doesn't show you notes associated with the tag. Instead, it allows you to search only within your own notes, excluding notebooks which have been shared with you (try it out).

JMichael, the reason you don't see it is probably because no one has shared a notebook with you.

So, it's still not possible to search within a tag like this.

Educate me, please.

Beyond what is already available to you, What is your Use Case for this for searching within Tags?

When you click on a Tag, it highlights the Notes for you, and combines them in a group for you, (Blue Arrow upper right corner).

Once clicking on that arrow, EN displays those Notes.  If you need to do a search beyond this point, you have created the need to have a Notebook for those Notes. 

• Level 5*

Educate me, please.

Beyond what is already available to you, What is your Use Case for this for searching within Tags?

When you click on a Tag, it highlights the Notes for you, and combines them in a group for you, (Blue Arrow upper right corner).

Once clicking on that arrow, EN displays those Notes.  If you need to do a search beyond this point, you have created the need to have a Notebook for those Notes. 

At the moment, when you have a tag selected, and go to search, there is no way for you to search within the tag. Instead, you have to search "tag:<tag name>" explicitly each time.

Is there any way of doing this like you can with notebooks? (Ie. just hit the search bar and select the current notebook to search within it)

Sentinel, as the OP stated, there is a very valid use case to Search within a Tag just as there is within a Notebook.  In fact, many many times it has been suggested to use Tags in lieu of Notebooks.

So, let's say I first filter my Note list by a Tag, say "Business".  OK, now I have a nice list of all Notes with a "Business" tag.

But maybe I want to further filer the results list by search for some text within the Note, or even by another Tag.

It would be very powerful, and intuitive, to simply ADD additional Search criteria in the Search box.  This would be applied as a logical AND to the Tag filter.  Pretty much what most users would expect, IMO.

I agree with the above.

Evernote emphasises flexibility: you can use tags, notebooks, whatever works for you.

To not be able to search within tags you've selected on your sidebar is just an unnecessary difference between Notebooks and Tags, which only makes working with Evernote harder.

Educate me, please.

Sentinel, as the OP stated, there is a very valid use case to Search within a Tag just as there is within a Notebook.  In fact, many many times it has been suggested to use Tags in lieu of Notebooks.

So, let's say I first filter my Note list by a Tag, say "Business".  OK, now I have a nice list of all Notes with a "Business" tag.

But maybe I want to further filer the results list by search for some text within the Note, or even by another Tag.

It would be very powerful, and intuitive, to simply ADD additional Search criteria in the Search box.  This would be applied as a logical AND to the Tag filter.  Pretty much what most users would expect, IMO.

I agree with what you have said here! Currently, that second filter can be done from within Notebooks.

And, if I read you correctly, you would like that second filter capability within a Tag.

Huh!  That would still require the use of a two Tag search.  What you have now, correct?  Remember, I am still trying to understand!

• 1 year later...

Evernote Mac team, are you kidding me? There is no ability to search within the current context???? 

If I have a tag selected, I expect to be able to search within the tag. I could do this on Evernote Windows with absolute ease (the setting is remembered). The user should not have to type in an advanced search query.

Due to the various limitations of notebooks (can't nest beyond 1 level deep, limited max notebook count, etc.), people rely heavily on tags and should expect to quickly drill down and search within tags.

Archived