Evernote Keeps Freezing

Etonreve

Evernote Desktop continues to freeze and this has been going on for months.  The program is basically unusable.  I sent a PDF to EN and the program wouldn't load.  This makes me extremely angry.

• Level 5*

I'm continuing to use Evernote despite an occasional (and brief) 'freeze' and have it running in several versions of Windows.  If you have problems,  best to post here with full details and/ or submit a support request (see below) - at least you should get back to 'usable'...

In both cases you know that the first advice is going to be Revo (if a desktop) uninstall and reinstall the app;  rename and refresh the database - check the forums for more information on both if you need it.

I have the same problem, as you can see in this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/59474-evernote-momentarily-freezes-while-working-on-it-giving-no-feedback/

I tried several times to refresh the database and uninstalled it with Revo with no success. The only solution I have found to this moment is downgrading to version 5.2

Good luck, and please comment any progress ;-)

I have the same problem, as you can see in this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/59474-evernote-momentarily-freezes-while-working-on-it-giving-no-feedback/

I tried several times to refresh the database and uninstalled it with Revo with no success. The only solution I have found to this moment is downgrading to version 5.2

Good luck, and please comment any progress ;-)

Where did you get the older version of Evernote?  I'm still reinstalling the most recent version (it takes a long time) but if it doesn't work, I'll downgrade.

Thanks for your response.

I'm continuing to use Evernote despite an occasional (and brief) 'freeze' and have it running in several versions of Windows.  If you have problems,  best to post here with full details and/ or submit a support request (see below) - at least you should get back to 'usable'...

In both cases you know that the first advice is going to be Revo (if a desktop) uninstall and reinstall the app;  rename and refresh the database - check the forums for more information on both if you need it.

I uninstalled Evernote using Revo and reinstalled it, downloading the app from the EN website.  It was taking a long time to sync the notes and I stepped away.  Upon my return:

"Fatal error."  

I submitted the report with my email address.

Again, all these problems with Evenote make it impossible for me to use it effectively.  The Web Clipper usually works well (although I got two error messages yesterday, which I duly submitted), but I like to clip things to my inbox and then organize them into notebooks.  I'm unable to that when the program keeps hanging.  I don't like being dependent on the Search function alone to find things and sometimes there's no text.  In the past, I would go through images and quickly organize them, but that's been an impossibility since sometime last year.

• 4 months later...

Windows Desktop 5.6.4 . . .    is freezing for me to. Start up loading or changing "users" usually freezes for 5-8 minutes. A few times it never un-freezes and I have to manually crash/force close the program. I have submitted a Ticket, Primary I am adding to this thread to let Evernote now this is a real problem for people.

I have un-installed using Revo with fresh new install -  no help

I have logged out and logged back in - no help

Going to the website is not a real option as some of these files are local only

5,994 notes

1,197  Private notes

4,108,000 KB exb file

• Level 5*

Windows Desktop 5.6.4 . . .    is freezing for me to. Start up loading or changing "users" usually freezes for 5-8 minutes. A few times it never un-freezes and I have to manually crash/force close the program. I have submitted a Ticket, Primary I am adding to this thread to let Evernote now this is a real problem for people.

I have un-installed using Revo with fresh new install -  no help

I have logged out and logged back in - no help

Going to the website is not a real option as some of these files are local only

5,994 notes

1,197  Private notes

4,108,000 KB exb file

What's your OS?  W7?   W8.1?

• Level 5*

Seems quite a few W7 folks having problems - but this is a Windows forum,  and it was a popular OS...  be interesting to hear what Support come back with eventually.  Uninstall/ reinstall seems to do it for some,  others have stepped back to a stable earlier build.

After weeks of EN freezing, or very slow to start, or unable to close, the PROBLEM IS SOLVED on my two computers

No need to uninstall the program

1) Exit EN (after syncing)

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

The EN folder will be automatically recreated, you will have to enter your account information, EN will reload the database from the servers (I don't use local notebooks), then enjoy a speedy EN

• Level 5*

After weeks of EN freezing, or very slow to start, or unable to close, the PROBLEM IS SOLVED on my two computers

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

The EN folder will be automatically recreated, you will have to enter your account information, EN will reload the database from the servers (I don't use local notebooks), then enjoy a speedy EN

That's the same fix as renaming the database file.  You do need to make sure that you export any local notebooks and any unsynced notes before you replace the database,  and then re-import them into the newly downloaded version,  otherwise it will be -complicated- to extract them from the old database.

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

That's the same fix as renaming the database file.  You do need to make sure that you export any local notebooks and any unsynced notes before you replace the database,  and then re-import them into the newly downloaded version,  otherwise it will be -complicated- to extract them from the old database.

If local notes aren't an issue, is it really as simple as renaming the folder and restarting? I don't recall trying this step, although at this point, it's all a blur.

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

How would I locate the unsynched notes?  The full database (with all the notes) exists only in the web version.

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

If local notes aren't an issue, is it really as simple as renaming the folder and restarting? I don't recall trying this step, although at this point, it's all a blur.

Yes, simple and without risks

• Level 5*

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

Yes, simple and without risks

Back to my point - IF you have local notebooks,  AND/ OR can identify unsynced notes,  you need to export them before renaming the folder.  If you are successful in downloading a new database it will not contain any of those notes,  which you would need to re-import from ENEX files.  If none of that applies to you,  then you can rename the folder,  or you can rename the database file (depending on your OS) which is part of the standard process that is normally suggested here.

If you rename the folder and do lose files,  it's theoretically possible to reinstate the old database,  export the notes and change back to the new one to import them,  but there's some risk and a lot of renaming involved...

Welp, I did the folder renaming after a freeze tonight. Fairly simple and stress free manuever. Of course, I had no local notebooks or any of that so it was pretty straightforward. And now, we wait. It would be swell if this was the fix that sticks.

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

Renaming the database worked perfectly for me.  ( 5.6.4 upgrade  )    

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

Renaming the database worked perfectly for me.  ( 5.6.4 upgrade  )    

Same here. Although I remain wary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Below is an email I just recd from this thread and would like some clarification before I go ahead with it.

hi klcdrt,   you are using windows 7, which I am as well. There has been a well documented problem with the newer versions of windows for windows 7 with many users locking up and lagging. Many of us have rolled back to Windows  5.2.0.2946, https://www.evernote...11aff00bd04d617 (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s397/sh/7085d99b-df9b-45bf-a1c8-873aa4099f71/469c81e3f89220b5511aff00bd04d617) -- this has solved our lagging problem

Discussion on this is located here  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61178-evernote-keeps-freezing/ (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61178-evernote-keeps-freezing/)

1] As suggested I downloaded EN 5.2.0.2964.

2] Backed up all files in current EN folder.

3] Created a restore point.

Questions?

A] Do I remove EN 5.6.4.4632 which is now on my PC with IObit uninstaller [also have Revo]?

B] Then install EN 5.2.0.2964?

C] Or do I use the Renaming Method as mentioned in this post?

Please give me your best advice.

cheers,

klx

• Level 5*

The renaming method won't change the edition of the software you're running.  If you have downloaded but not installed 5.2.0.2964,  I'd suggest

1. exit and backup your existing database
  2. export any local notebooks / unsynced notes to ENEX files
  3. use Revo to completely remove Evernote and any related files
  4. install 5.2.0.2964
  5. log in to Evernote and wait for the database folder to repopulate (some hours if you have a lot of notes)

If you have already installed 5.2.0.2964,  then the renaming method will be fine.  Good luck!

You know? In the back of my mind, I think I knew better than to boast about how my freezing problem was solved. For several weeks after renaming my EN folder, it was smooth sailing. Not one freeze up, not a single glitch. Now, for no obvious reason, the problem has reappeared, with Evernote seizing up at least once a day and sometimes more. The problem fixed by the folder rename apparently reanimates itself through the course of normal use. I have a suspicion I won't be free of this issue until I have a new machine with a different operating system. Too bad because for a good long while there, it seemed like the folder trick was pure magic. 

The folder trick solves the problem, not the root cause which is that there is something wrong with the Windows client. Do the trick again, EN will be ok again.

Yeah, I won't hesitate to do the rename again. Just checked a note a few seconds ago and EN was not responding. Wow, this has been an aggravating issue.

You know? In the back of my mind, I think I knew better than to boast about how my freezing problem was solved. For several weeks after renaming my EN folder, it was smooth sailing. Not one freeze up, not a single glitch. Now, for no obvious reason, the problem has reappeared, with Evernote seizing up at least once a day and sometimes more. The problem fixed by the folder rename apparently reanimates itself through the course of normal use. I have a suspicion I won't be free of this issue until I have a new machine with a different operating system. Too bad because for a good long while there, it seemed like the folder trick was pure magic. 

Thanks for keeping us posted.  I still haven't had time to deal with my Evernote problem (and given the history of problems I've had I'm very frustrated), but it's useful to read about other people's experiences.

Evernote for Windows has a long history of hanging up ("not responding") and/or fatal errors, IME over the past 2-3 years.  I have updated my OS, got different computer, got different hard drive, etc, etc, etc.  In my case, after eliminating all other issues (IE, I could use the same computer, same EN app with a different, small account just fine), I attributed it to Evernote not scaling well (I had over 64,000 notes in my over 37 gig database).  But it seems the more recent Windows clients have this issue with only a few thousand notes.  Eventually, I got to the point where I simply could not use the Windows client with my main account & had to create a second one & share notebooks between the two accounts & access my main account via the web client.  Then the notebook sharing started having its own problems...this is one of the reasons I'm migrating away from Evernote.  Instead of addressing the problem I was having, it seems they have made it worse. 

Evernote for Windows has a long history of hanging up ("not responding") and/or fatal errors, IME over the past 2-3 years.  I have updated my OS, got different computer, got different hard drive, etc, etc, etc.  In my case, after eliminating all other issues (IE, I could use the same computer, same EN app with a different, small account just fine), I attributed it to Evernote not scaling well (I had over 64,000 notes in my over 37 gig database).  But it seems the more recent Windows clients have this issue with only a few thousand notes.  Eventually, I got to the point where I simply could not use the Windows client with my main account & had to create a second one & share notebooks between the two accounts & access my main account via the web client.  Then the notebook sharing started having its own problems...this is one of the reasons I'm migrating away from Evernote.  Instead of addressing the problem I was having, it seems they have made it worse. 

Guh. I was afraid it might be a Windows issue, not just a MY COPY OF WINDOWS kind of thing. Part of me wants to say, "well, a few freeze ups throughout the day is a small price to pay for all that Evernote does for me." But that's kind of bunk. I tend to find EN unresponsive when I absolutely have to have access to it immediately; on deadlines and such. A real pain in the ass, is this problem. I wish I could get accustomed to using the web interface, but I really can't. Before this freezing problem reared its head, I had really gotten into a good groove with Evernote and could dash from notebook to notebook like a spastic squirrel collecting nuts. Or something. I'm raving. By the way, I only have 1896 notes, presently, so that doesn't appear to be a factor at all. 64K notes? Wow. That makes me feel like I'm not using EN nearly enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caved and did the 'rename folder' trick one more time. Was getting so I was crashing pretty much every time I tried to open Evernote. My God, this has been a frustrating issue. I'm happy to have the rename option, but it would be swell to get this problem fixed once and for all.

And now, having written that, I just got an update with some promising bug fixes:

• Fixed:
    • Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the app to freeze
    • Fixed several bugs that would cause the app to crash
    • Fixed several bugs that would cause sync errors

I hate to keep harping on this (where'd everybody go??) but, man. Today I renamed my database folder one more time in hopes of getting another reprieve. Instead? Evernote froze up WHILE it was syncing all my notes back to life. On my machine, anyway, EN is close to toast. The update I had such hope for actually seems to make things worse. That aside, Happy Thanksgiving and such. Hope it's a great one for all you forum people.

Yes, there is still a sync issue since the last update. Sometimes you can't sync, then it works again after a while. Very frustrating

For me, it's worse than ever. Did the update make it even more prone to freezing? Seems like. It's so aggravating. This program that used to simplify my life in myriad ways now causes me blood pressure spikes and language that will clearly bump me off Santa's good list.

• Level 5

Yes, there is still a sync issue since the last update. Sometimes you can't sync, then it works again after a while. Very frustrating

For me, it's worse than ever. Did the update make it even more prone to freezing? Seems like. It's so aggravating. This program that used to simplify my life in myriad ways now causes me blood pressure spikes and language that will clearly bump me off Santa's good list.

Did you reboot your Mac after the update? This helped in my case.

Did you reboot your Mac after the update? This helped in my case.

I'm on a Windows machine. I don't recall rebooting after the update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK. I found the version 4 in my hdd. Now, Evernote does not seem to freeze. There is no additional feature on V5 that I do use which forces me to use that buggy version. Now I am on version 4 - it is lighter and does not freeze now. I am OK with that. Disabled update check.

• 2 months later...

2) rename the EN folder

3) start EN

that was very helpful and so simple! THanks!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't get a brand-new installation of EN to work on my Win7 laptop at work--it keeps freezing. I have a personal EN account on my MacBook and Android phone, and no problems there. (This is a totally separate account, so my personal account is irrelevant--I just wanted to say that I know how EN SHOULD work!)  Anyway, the good news is that I haven't created any notes yet, so nothing to lose!  But the EN app is pretty much unresponsive.  I tried loading the older app mentioned above, but that didn't help at all. I wanted to share this experience because it rules out any question of this being about size, or a corrupted database.  I am wondering if it has something to do with the firewall at work, though.  But likely not, if everyone else is having this problem with the Win EN app.  I'll try the folder thing next, but I'm ready to give up on my idea to use EN for work.  Makes me nervous about using it for personal stuff as well--what happens if the Android or Mac apps go south?  Is there any way to export notes (and photos taken within the app) into standard formats that can be used outside of EN?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you have two installations of Evernote working fine,  I don't see that one problem - which is probably to do with firewalls and networking - should cause a major concern about reliability.  You can backup your database(s) in a variety of ways,  and export them to a  variety of formats - see Evernote's Knowledge Base https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/product/evernote and search the forums here for tons more on all of the above.  Have a search for concerns about the security of personal data on work machines too - general feeling is: it's not a good idea.  You might consider the mobile or web versions of Evernote as options...?

Archived