When does a note sync on desktop to create usage

bah0206

I just downloaded the Windows Desktop version of Evernote.  I'm trying to find out when the sync or upload happens so that I can adjust my work process to efficiently use quotas..

For example:  I opened up a new note on the desktop.  I walked away from the computer (not closing Evernote) and when I came back, it had already uploaded and created a usage charge.  So I went to the settings and found that I could stop automatic syncing.  So I did.

Can you give me a general feel for how the Desktop version uploads (or should I say syncs?) the notes adding them to the usage meter. 

Also, I've seen reference in the "Getting Started" that I should click a "DONE" button.  I don't see one anywhere on the page.  Can you help with that? (Attaching the screen shot.) 

Also, I read the Import Folders material.  How do I indicate the title of the note?  Doesn't say in the instructions.The way I would do it now would be to reopen the new note and change/add a title which would result in two usage charges.  Not smart.  How do I do this?

Sorry I'm struggling with this.  I'd like to know that I'm capable of using the program efficiently and economically before investing in the premium version. 

post-205491-0-68935100-1402274787_thumb.

Hi bah0206,

No problem with you asking questions.  We are glad you utilized the resources available.  The Knowledge Base is a great place to start.  Let me see if I can help you with your questions.

Syncing:  Go into Evernote Settings to adjust how often you wish your desktop client to sync with the EN Servers.  You indicated you know how to do that already.  I am on a Mac, so getting to those settings for me are different. So, I cannot give you details.  Sorry.

Clicking on the Done Button:  I work on a Mac and there is no Done button.  I don't think there is one in the Windows client either.  After you have finished creating/editing a Note, I simply click on another Note to work on it or exit out of my Notebook and the new Note I was working on is automatically Saved. There is nothing else you need to do.  The EN Client will then Sync to the EN Servers as you have told it to do in the step above.

Import Folders Material:  I am not sure where that material is, but it is probably accurate. However, after you have imported items in a Note and you need to Edit or Change the Title of the Note, you are NOT doubling your usage charges.  As long as you do not import the material twice, you only have one upload charge.  You can change/edit the Title as often as you like and that has no affect on your charges.

I hope this has clarified these issues for you.  I think you will find Evernote very useful and easy to work with.  It is no different than learning anything else that is new to you.  Don't hesitate to post here in the Forum if you need further assistance.

• Level 5*

Just to confirm in Windows - 

• all the sync options are in Evernote > Tools > Options > Sync  -exactly what is says on the can!
  • import folders are likewise under Tools - when you import a file the name becomes the note title,  so some of us use another folder for scanned items (forinstance) so we can update names first,  then batch import by moving the files to the actual import folder.
  • import folders are likewise under Tools - when you import a file the name becomes the note title,  so some of us use another folder for scanned items (forinstance) so we can update names first,  then batch import by moving the files to the actual import folder.

With .txt file I noticed the title of the note is the first line of the content of the file... don't know if this is the behaviour expected but I find this odd.

• Level 5*

With .txt file I noticed the title of the note is the first line of the content of the file... don't know if this is the behaviour expected but I find this odd.

Yup - sorry,  that's the exception - it's a convenient way to get longer/ more convenient titles than just the file names.  Don't know if there's a special reason for it.

Archived