Open links in Background

Biobiol

Hi,

i am using Evernote for now for several month.

I have one note with 10 links in and i opened them in background by clicking on the link while i hold the ctrl-key.

This worked well.

But after I updated to the latest version of Evernote (5.4) this feature drives me crazy.

When clicking on a link while holding ctrl sometimes the link opens in my browser in the background but in 2 out of 3 cases the browser opens a new tab in front.

Does anyone know how to open links in background in Evernote?

Is there a new key to push or is there a hidden setting in the options?

Thank you for your answers.

Bio

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you say 'opened a link in background' are you saying you opened a new Evernote note window,  or a browser window?  And when you say "opens a new tab" again do you mean in Evernote or in your browser?

Hi.  When you say 'opened a link in background' are you saying you opened a new Evernote note window,  or a browser window?  And when you say "opens a new tab" again do you mean in Evernote or in your browser?

I try to describe it more precisely.

When i click on a link in Evernote i want to open a new tab in my browser loading that page but in the background so that the evernote window is still in the foreground and i can click on the next link in evernote. That was exactly the behavior before i updated to the latest Evernote version.

Now, when i click in a link in Evernote my browser opens a new tab in the foreground and i have to switch back to evernote.

That means if i want to open 20 links in evernote in my browser i have to switch 20 times back to evernote. Really frustrating. Especially because i do this every day.

• Level 5*

I don't think I've ever used Evernote in that way - I've never noticed whether or not the window stayed in the foreground anyway.  It could be either Evernote or the browser team fixing what they perceived as a bug:  that the new tab wasn't in the foreground once opened..  and I imagine that whichever way you choose as default there will be equal numbers of users who want the new tab at the front,  and those who want it in the background.  I'd suggest you raise this with support (see below) - not that I expect there's a 'fix' as such,  but they may have an idea how you could process several links in one hit.

My feeling is more that the actual behavior is a bug not a question of to satisfy one side (Evernote stays in front) or the other side (Browser pops up in front) because there was a good solution. Hold CTRL-Key while clicking on a link (open in background) or just click on link (open in foreground). Both groups will be satisfied.

But now Evernote decides randomly whether to open in background or not.

I think in that case random behavior is not really a feature.

I was hoping that someone knows a new option how to go back to the old behavior (maybe a new hotkey or something like that).

Archived