A Suggestion for Evernote (improvement urgently needed)

eckow

Idea

A suggestion for evernote: if more than 5 or 10 notes were deleted or significantly modified at once, or over a period of 10 minutes (according to setting), evernote should NOT sync the action on OTHER DEVICES or the web version, before a password confirmation.

This came up to me since i have thousands of really important academic notes in my account, and i don't feel safe about them as i can't back them up in e.g. words format (HTML format is off-putting) and once they were deleted or MODIFIED significantly (e.g., not deleting the note, but empty the content of the note) , my other devices automatically syncs the modification and it will be all gone. -- even if my device doesnt sync it automatically due to lack of internet access, it does not guarantee that i could still rescue my note if the said device did NOT sync the original note AT THE TIME when it was taken.

Anyhow, if my notes were ever deleted viciously, with the bin being emptied, i might well lost all my info without any backup. I would recommend evernote to improve the design and try to either set up such a confirmation password, or to develop a "backup" system within the software, or in the local computer (which will NOT be synced automatically).

Thank you for reading!

3 replies to this idea

A suggestion for evernote: if more than 5 or 10 notes were deleted or significantly modified at once, or over a period of 10 minutes (according to setting), evernote should NOT sync the action on OTHER DEVICES or the web version, before a password confirmation.

This came up to me since i have thousands of really important academic notes in my account, and i don't feel safe about them as i can't back them up in e.g. words format (HTML format is off-putting) and once they were deleted or MODIFIED significantly (e.g., not deleting the note, but empty the content of the note) , my other devices automatically syncs the modification and it will be all gone. -- even if my device doesnt sync it automatically due to lack of internet access, it does not guarantee that i could still rescue my note if the said device did NOT sync the original note AT THE TIME when it was taken.

Anyhow, if my notes were ever deleted viciously, with the bin being emptied, i might well lost all my info without any backup. I would recommend evernote to improve the design and try to either set up such a confirmation password, or to develop a "backup" system within the software, or in the local computer (which will NOT be synced automatically).

Thank you for reading!

You can easily backup your Mac desktop client database. Please use the search function, as this has been discussed a lot. Deleted notes go into the trash, where they can be restored unless & until trash is emptied. You can also use the undo function, if you accidentally modify a note. If you are so afraid of accidentally modifying a note before note history is taken (premium users can restore from note history, which is taken about once every eight hours) or you've backed up or while undo is still helpful, I would suggest making a copy of the note before modifying it.

Thank you for reading!

I am not sure I understand the point(s) you are trying to suggest.  Could you clarify for me?

I think Evernote is designed as well as most services like this, if not better.

I agree with your "Concerns" of losing data from deleted/modified Notes. So, as users, we must be careful not to move too fast when deleting and modifying Notes.  

We know it will sync between the device we are using and the servers.  So, before you move on to another Note, make sure the one you are working in is the way you want it. Also, before you sync other devices with Evernote's server, make sure the Note you modified in any way, is the way you want it to be.  That alone will remove most concerns of errors.  

Like Burgers-N-Fries said, you can restore a note if you need to.  It is also always a good idea to make a back up of anything on a computer after you have made changes.  It does not take long with Evernote to do this.

Like I said, I am not really sure of what your suggestion is, but I hope what BNF wrote and what I have here will help you.  

• Level 5*

Thank you for reading!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

In addition to the points raised above, I'd add that Evernote runs on .html, so I don't see much difference between an exported .html version of your notes and the ones in your account.

As BNF said, backups are extremely easy on the Mac. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

Archived