Help with an Evernote Problem

Frosty in CA

I used CCleaner yesterday and Evernote will not launch. I do NOT know if that is the reason but that's the only modification I made that indicates it might be an cause.. 

Regardless, I'm wondering whether reinstalling Evernote will overwrite my notes since I initially installed the program. I'm tried launching the program from just about every option I know about to no avail. 

Thoughts? 

Thx

DAN

PS: First time poster so if there is a better place / forum for this, just let me know

Welcome to the Forum!  You are in the correct place for this post.

What OS and version are you using and what version of EN?

Has CCleaner deleted EN from your computer?

Using Windows 7. Free version of EN which I downloaded a few weeks ago.  If you're asking if Evernote itself was deleted, it was not. IF EN means the notes that I wrote, I do not know. 

I used CCleaner yesterday and Evernote will not launch. I do NOT know if that is the reason but that's the only modification I made that indicates it might be an cause..

Regardless, I'm wondering whether reinstalling Evernote will overwrite my notes since I initially installed the program. I'm tried launching the program from just about every option I know about to no avail.

Thoughts?

Thx

DAN

PS: First time poster so if there is a better place / forum for this, just let me know

As Sentinel said, it's helpful to specify which client you're using, when asking for help.

Since it appears ccleaner is only for Windows, I'm assuming you're using the Windows client. If so and you don't have any unsynced notes (including local/non-synced notebooks), then simply uninstalling & reinstalling Evernote will not harm your notes as a new database will be created on you computer & the notes synced down from the Evernote servers.. Please note that you do NOT want to delete any notes - just uninstall the app. I would recommend using the free version of Revo uninstaller.

If you have any unsynced notes (including local/non-synced) notebooks, you will need to make (and keep) a copy of the your-user-name.exb file, which is good to have in either case. You would then uninstall Evernote (I would suggest you use the free version of Revo uninstaller) reinstall it. If you are able to get in, then you would follow the instructions for restoring from a backup, which are steps 1-5 below. If, at step 5, everything looks good, skip to step 11.

I am trying to recover a few months of missing log data from last year. Our Evernote data is archived everyday to a server. The archives seem to consist of .exb files, one of which is over 250MB in size. I can't seem to open the .exb files with Evernote. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

When you say "log data", are you talking about notes in Evernote or Evernote log files? If you're talking about notes in a different exb file, you would:

• Fully exit EN, making sure there are no elephants in the task bar.
  • Temporarily rename the live exb file.
  • Disconnect from the internet
  • Copy (not paste/move) the desired exb file to the same location as the live file & make sure it's named your-login-name.exb
  • Invoke Evernote. This will have you using the old exb file. Since you disconnected from the internet, it will not sync any changes down. IE, if it contains notes that were subsequently deleted or modified, if you are connected to the internet, those changes would be sync'd & you'd end up where you were before starting this.
  • Select the notes you want to move to the live database & export them to enex file. (Please search the board on the tips for doing this so you are able to retain tag & notebook info.)
  • Fully exit Evernote again.
  • Delete the exb file you created in step 4 above.
  • Copy (don't paste/move) the file created in step 2 above to your-login-name.exb
  • Invoke Evernote & import the enex file(s) created in step 6 above.
  • If everything looks good, connect to the internet.
I say to copy files, rather than paste/move b/c if something gets muffed up along the way, you still have your original live file and your original archived file.

EDIT: When I say paste, I mean don't CUT/paste. You would COPY/paste rather than CUT/paste in order to retain the original file. So you do still have to paste. Sorry for any confusion... ;)

Ccleaner pops up a warning and a save option before processing a registry cleaning, if you did it (if not, I guess this is the last time) you just have to restore this save within Ccleaner.

Archived