Note reverted back to old state. This weeks data is lost!

i3maha

Hi,

I just ran into a big problem: One of my notes just reverted back to last weeks state and all information I entered the last days is gone!

The shown date/time of the last update is the June 1st, but I entered new information some hours ago. Now it's gone!

My Windows-Client is configured to synchronize automatically every 30 minutes, which it said it did.

I also have an Android phone, but did not use Evernote on it the last days, and it doesn't sync automatically.

All other notes work well and have synced automatically and also show correctly on the Evernote-website.

Just the one note I was using for most of my work in the last 2 days is suddenly reverted to the old state :(

Is there any way I could recover the lost data?

Hope for your help! Thanks!

I had this happen a few weeks ago too, a note suddently reverted to a state from a week or two earlier, it was not a confidence building experience.  Have you looked under the folder on the left titled "conflicting changes" to see if by chance it shows up there?

Have you looked under the folder on the left titled "conflicting changes" to see if by chance it shows up there?

Yes, I checked the "conflicted changes" folder, it is empty.

I even opened the Evernote Database-folder in the file-system and searched through the contents of the database stored there, but no luck. Nothing of the things I entered the last days appeared in any of the files.

I had this happen a few weeks ago too, a note suddently reverted to a state from a week or two earlier, it was not a confidence building experience.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you, too.

"Not a confidence building expierience" is true! When I could not find my important notes I was confused at first ("didn't I put my notes here?"), then started searching through all my notes and started to panic. Finally, I realized that all my work is lost.

I have been working with Evernote for several years now and used to love it, but now? I am not sure whether I will continue using it. Every time I saw the "synchronization complete" pop-up, I was confident that all my data is securely stored and backed up somewhere in the cloud, but this trust is lost.

Maybe the support-team can help when they answer to my support ticket, but I am not really confident that they can help.

• Level 5*

A support ticket is certainly the way to go - if you're a Premium member,  or are willing to become one for a month to try the experiment,  you may find that you can 'step back' the history of your note if a previous version was captured by the regular snapshot.  As is,  you're finding out the hard way why some of us take regular local backups of the database - I don't have any specially bad feelings about Evernote,  but I take the selfish view that it's my data,  and while it's being managed in any way by anyone else (and this would go for MS / Amazon / Google etc) I'm going to have a belt,  braces, tie-pin and shoelaces level of backup just in case one in a million bad stuff happens...

You should have had a ticket number from Evernote to acknowledge the report - please let us know how you get one;  this sort of thing appears to be (thankfully) rare,  but it's unsettling, none the less.

This exact same thing happened to me, I have tried all of the troubleshooting listed above and submitted a support ticket on Saturday and now 4 days later haven't heard anything back.

I will be discontinuing use of evernote and letting everyone I work with know that this is not a reliable service.

It would be one thing at least someone from support contacted me.

• Level 5*

This exact same thing happened to me, I have tried all of the troubleshooting listed above and submitted a support ticket on Saturday and now 4 days later haven't heard anything back.

I will be discontinuing use of evernote and letting everyone I work with know that this is not a reliable service.

It would be one thing at least someone from support contacted me.

Please see below - Support don't work weekends,  though you should have received a ticket number for your query;  if you post the number here we can get someone to have a look into your request.  There's actually no "troubleshooting" listed above other than the best advice - talk to Support. You can use Chat if you're a premium member. 

you're finding out the hard way why some of us take regular local backups of the database - I don't have any specially bad feelings about Evernote, but I take the selfish view that it's my data, and while it's being managed in any way by anyone else (and this would go for MS / Amazon / Google etc) I'm going to have a belt, braces, tie-pin and shoelaces level of backup just in case one in a million bad stuff happens...

I also have several backups of almost all my data in more than two different locations just in case anything happens. But it is not practical (or not even possible) to make backups to several physical locations every day (I use external hard drives that are not connected to anything when I don't use them). Therefore, I use cloud based services like Evernote, Dropbox, or Google to have cloud-based backups for the stuff I am working on.

A friend recommended me to install the Evernote-Database into a Dropbox folder, so I could have used the Dropbox file history to recover my lost notes, but I guess this will bring other problems, especially when I start again to use more than one computer: When Evernotes synchronizes AND Dropbox synchronizes the SAME folder, failures are most likely going to happen.

Please see below - Support don't work weekends, though you should have received a ticket number for your query; if you post the number here we can get someone to have a look into your request.

I got my support ticket only one day ago, but this already feels like a very long time... I am currently not touching my Evernote and hope they can recover something when they look into it.

My ticket number ist "Ticket# 556017". Is there any way to add this thread in the forum to my support ticket?

Thanks for your help so far!

• Level 5*

If you copy the URL of this page you can add it to your emails with support once you get a dialogue going.  I'll flag this for someone to have a look at too,  but they probably won't be able to help other than (maybe) getting you a little bit of extra priority as you're stalled from using Evernote until you know more.  Support will take you through their basic housekeeping checks,  and its important to get those out of the way before we start looking for anything out of the usual.

I just found out that there is a log-file where Evernote keeps track of what it is doing. And I found an error there:

The last "Updated"-date of my "lost" note is "01.06.2014 21:37", and one minute later, the errors start: (from "AppLog_2014-06-01.txt"):

21:26:18 [1464] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"

21:38:22 [1464] Commit failed: code=00000302, CANT_UPDATE_ATTRS_TABLE, error: "Can't save uid=4757, error: SQL logic error or missing database, SQL logic error or missing database"

21:38:22 [1464] Can't save HTML note, transaction commit error: CANT_UPDATE_ATTRS_TABLE

Most interesting is the fact that these lines just appear in the log without any synchronization start log before! Actually, ther was never a synchronization that took place at "01.06.2014 21:37".

Some minutes later, a new sync starts:

21:44:22 [6028] Client synchronization started

and here, the note that I talk about is mentioned by name (here: XXX instead of the real name and instead of parts of the GUID):

21:44:27 [2212] 50% Updating server note "XX: XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX", resource count: 0

21:44:27 [2212] 50% * guid={96ed26fe-2415-44a9-96b6-XXXXXXXXXXXX}

21:44:29 [2212] 50% * updateCount: 1556 --> 1557

21:44:29 [2212] 100% Saved account updateCount: 1557

21:44:29 [2212] Commit failed: code=00000302, CANT_UPDATE_ATTRS_TABLE, error: "Can't save uid=494, error: SQL logic error or missing database, SQL logic error or missing database"

21:44:29 [2212] 100% Cannot commit transaction "postProcessChangedItems", error: CANT_UPDATE_ATTRS_TABLE (Can't save uid=494, error: SQL logic error or missing database, SQL logic error or missing database)

so it seems that the update went through up to 100%, but then something went wrong. If the "100%" is only the "percentage uploaded" and the following single "commit" failed, then, probably nothing is written to the database.

The most shocking is the line that follows:

21:44:30 [6028] Client synchronization finished, status: complete

We have an error, but Evernote thinks everything is ok and the synchronization is "complete"!

Afterwards, the "Commit failed" log-line with the "CANT_UPDATE_ATTRS_TABLE" error appears more or less at random in the logfile for the following days. Not even during a synchronization! And suddenly, two days later in the late afternoon (03.06.2014 15:21:07), the error message appears for one last time. This was some hours before I realized that my note had reverted to the state of "01.06.2014 21:37".

I've bumped your ticket to a higher priority and given it temporary Premium status, as well as appending this thread to the ticket.

Thanks for your help!

Just to keep you updated:

I was contacted by the support team.

With the temporary Premium status, I checked the Note history, but no luck there. Only older information is stored there, not the most recent stuff I was working on :(

I sent the complete log files to the support team and hopefully we will find out what happened.

• 1 month later...

A short update:

The support team could not figure out what happened and I ran out of patience, so I completely uninstalled Evernote from my computer, deleted all remaining files, and installed it again from scratch. Now it seems to work fine again. No more errors in the log files.

I hope these problems will not occur again!

Thanks to everone for your support!

Archived