Stop sync of folder

I set up a folder with several sub-folders as a notebook and then decided I did not want to use Evernote. Then I reviewed help topics and decided that deleting the notebook corresponding with the main folder would stop the sync. Now I still continue to have notes (files) sync and have to delete them. What I need is instructions on how to resolve this problem. I have looked on all versions of Evernote and have a mess with the unwanted (in Evernote) files. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I set up a folder with several sub-folders as a notebook and then decided I did not want to use Evernote. Then I reviewed help topics and decided that deleting the notebook corresponding with the main folder would stop the sync. Now I still continue to have notes (files) sync and have to delete them. What I need is instructions on how to resolve this problem. I have looked on all versions of Evernote and have a mess with the unwanted (in Evernote) files. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please try to use correct terminology b/c otherwise, it's difficult for those who can help you to understand what you are doing or trying to do.  There are no folders in Evernote.  A note resides in a single notebook.  Stacks group notebooks but cannot contain notes.  Plus, I don't know what you mean when you say "Then I reviewed help topics and decided that deleting the notebook corresponding with the main folder would stop the sync".  Whenever you do a sync, all notes that are in sync'd notebooks will sync to the EN servers & subsequently to any other computers/devices you have EN on.  If you don't want notes to sync to the EN servers (and your other computers/devices), then you need to put those notes in a local/non-sync'd notebook.  When you create a notebook, you are asked if it should be sync'd or not.  Sync'd notebooks cannot be changed to local & vice versa.  Local notebooks only exist on the Mac & Windows desktop clients.

If you don't want to use Evernote, then simply delete all the notes in Evernote & sync.  Then uninstall the EN app.

It's also helpful to mention what OS you're using, when asking for help.

I am sorry for not using the correct terminology - I tried. :unsure: I know that there are no folders in Evernote but since in my case I selected a folder to upload and sync as a notebook I tried to use that relationship to outline my problem. I do intend to continue using Evernote. It was this one set of folders on my desktop I wanted to sync with Evernote. After reviewing the resulting notebook, I decided that was not what I wanted, hence the attempt to stop syncing the information using Evernote. My try at stopping the sync was to delete the notebook on Evernote which did not work. Your statement that you could not stop the sync once set up is what I was trying to do and now know you can not. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium as my desktop operating system and IOS 7.1.1 on my Ipad.

Now, could I solve my problem by moving all the data under a new name on my desktop and just leave the original folder with no data?

I am sorry for not using the correct terminology - I tried. :unsure: I know that there are no folders in Evernote but since in my case I selected a folder to upload and sync as a notebook I tried to use that relationship to outline my problem. I do intend to continue using Evernote. It was this one set of folders on my desktop I wanted to sync with Evernote. After reviewing the resulting notebook, I decided that was not what I wanted, hence the attempt to stop syncing the information using Evernote. My try at stopping the sync was to delete the notebook on Evernote which did not work. Your statement that you could not stop the sync once set up is what I was trying to do and now know you can not. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium as my desktop operating system and IOS 7.1.1 on my Ipad.

Now, could I solve my problem by moving all the data under a new name on my desktop and just leave the original folder with no data?

I still don't know what you mean when you say "I selected a folder to upload and sync as a notebook". Are you saying you set up an import folder (that moves all files in that folder on your hard drive into an Evernote notebook)?

I am sorry you do not understand my problem. I will try what I asked if it would work. If not I will try another question or maybe someone else may be able to understand my problem. Thanks for trying - we just could not bridge the difference in platforms we are familiar with.

Hi. Are you by any chance referring to folders in the sense of the screenshots in the below link?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=screenshot+of+windows+folders&client=ms-android-bell-ca&hl=en-CA&source=android-browser-type&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MFaNU72YCI_woASFz4GIAw&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=360&bih=615

Please clarify if the folliwing is what you mean:

● You want to unsubscribe completely from Evernote - not have it even try connecting with your PC.

● But you *do* want to keep whatever data you gathered and/or saved using Evernote during your experiment to see if this is the software you needed. You just don't want the data stored on your system as Evernote files.

I do not want to unsubscride from Evernote it is too good a product to not use it. Any comment by me about stopping using Evernote relates to this one issue I had trying to make some information I have on my desktop computer available on my other devices. I am reducing my ever growing paper files by scanning them into a program much like the one Evernote provides for the ScanSnap scanner. I started with another solution provided for the scansnap and am reluctant to change. I also want the the master infomartion on my desktop and not in the cloud. It was this data I wanted to upload into an Evernote Notebook. I uploaded the data into a Notebook and decided that did not meet my needs. I then deleted the notebook thinking that would stop the sync process. I now understand that once set up you can not stop the sync. This is a problem for me and plan to move all the data on my desktop to another database and then there will be no information to sync. My last question was will this work. When I have some time I will try it to see if it will solve my problem.

As to your question on whether the items displayed by your link is what I wanted, I would say yes if they are all under one notebook. In my case I need to nest sub-notebooks under a master notebok if that makes sense and I do not see that in your link.

I believe we have beat this issue enough so I propose we close it with no solution for my specific problem.

• 3 months later...

Seemed pretty clear to me that the original post was regarding folder sync. And yes. there are folders in Evernote for windows. You can set a windows folder to sync to a specific notebook whenever you put content (files) in that folder.

So before jumping on him to use the "correct terminology" maybe knowing the product better than the person asking the question would be a better start.

No, no, no, my dear. Evernote does not have folders. The import folder you mention is a Windows folder that Evernote is importing from. Into Evernote's notebooks. Evernote has "notebooks". As far as "knowing the product", I'm pretty sure I know it pretty darned well, And clearly better than you do, based on some of your other posts.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67062-evernote-for-windows-should-not-have-desktop-as-default-folder-sync/

• 4 months later...

For those who come after:

To stop Evernote from Sync Windos Folders:

Tools -> Import Folders -> Highlight the folder that you no longer want synced and hit the Remove button.

• 1 year later...

Archived