Old reminders reappear in new Windows 7 installation

Charlah

I installed the Windows EN client on a new Windows 7 system.  Many (like 100s) of reminders that I had cleared have reappeared...dating back to last summer.  They don't show up in the Android client, the web client, OR my other Windows 7 system.  To be clear, I believe they are all notes that I didn't delete but rather just cleared the reminders associated with them.  The Reminders are still active with due dates in the past. How can I make them go away? 

• Level 5*

Hi - I wouldn't care to guess how this particular slice of history came back to haunt you;  I suggest you raise a support request (see below) and see what they have to say...  please share it back here - I'm intrigued now!

I did so and got a reply - in a nutshell, I was told to try deleting the database and allowing it to be recreated (done - same problem), and if that didn't work, to just manually clear all of the reminders.  I have to admit, I was expecting something a little more helpful/less time consuming.  The problem seems to be that any new installation will display all note reminders, even those that have been cleared.  I'm not convinced that manually fixing this one installation will prevent the problem from reoccurring.

Full reply:

Alvin C. (Evernote Support)

Jun 04 18:05

Hope you are having a wonderful day so far!

First of all thanks for choosing Evernote as your Second Brain! We greatly appreciate your valued membership. I would love to help!

It appears that the reminders are no being saved as completed, and since they were completed before but never deleted then it reappear since it looks like the new installation of the application is not recognizing the previous changes made to that reminder.

I apologize for any and all inconveniences you have experienced. At this point I would recommend to delete those notes which will help clear up clutter and avoid it from popping up again.

And then re attempt to reinstall the application to see if the completed reminders which you wish to not delete can be synced and checked off.

First, If you do not have any important Local Only or unsynchronized notes*, please try moving your Evernote database so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. In Evernote, go to File > Logout "Username"
  2. If Evernote has closed, please re-open it. You will now be on the Sign-In page.
  3. Go to Evernote > Options (upper left-hand corner)
  4. Click on the "Open Database files folder" button
  5. Move the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
  6. Sign In to Evernote with your username and password
  7. Wait for your account data to synchronize to your machine from the service.
  • Level 5*

Hmmn. I would have hoped for something a little more sympathetic than 'sorry for the inconvenience',  but I guess if there's no other way..  you might look into the search options for reminders - if you can list the ones due before a certain date,  or otherwise isolate the ones you don't need,  presumably it will help to delete them more quickly...

• Level 5*

Full reply:

Alvin C. (Evernote Support)

Jun 04 18:05

. . .

. At this point I would recommend to delete those notes which will help clear up clutter and avoid it from popping up again.

. . .

Maybe I don't understand the context of Evernote/Alvin's recommendation to DELETE the Notes, but I don't understand WHY you would delete a Note to fix a reminder problem.  For me, any Note that I have a reminder set is likely to be an important Note that I want to keep -- certainly NOT delete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

Just saw that a new version was release (5.4.1.3962).

It didn't solve the problem immediatly, but nthe I reinstalled and after full sync the problem seems to be solved.

Great to hear!

Archived