Evernote webclipper service

Hi I'm noticing a webclipper service from Evernote running often on my kit Kat device. Any idea why it's running? Evernote never had any background services before?

Thanks

• Level 5*

KitKat made some fundmental changes to the way the OS works,  including new 'chinese walls' between apps (I'm no expert in this) so maybe background support for clipping is necessary now.  Definitive answers via Support (see below) - meantime you might read up on the changes included in this new version.

Thanks I just emailed them. I wasn't sure where such a process came from.

I didn't think Evernote has the ability to "clip" pages in Android that it does on a PC browser - so I'm puzzled what this WebClipperService is actually doing.

Whenever I share from Chrome from Android to Evernote, all it does is copy the link to Evernote - I would be surprised if a service was required to circumvent security mechanisms introduced in Kit kat for a text copy. Am I missing a fundamental feature here?

Thanks

• Level 5*

On my (beta)version of Evernote I can clip full web pages - although it takes a little while for the page to appear in the note.  You may be right though that even clipping the URL now requires a background app.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Support are certainly busy,  and you may not have qualified for a quick reaction since you seem to have a query rather than fault.  Have you tried stopping the app yourself?  Check whether you can uninstall the clipper if you are certain you'll have no use for it.  Meantime you would have received a ticket number when you started a ticket - if you post that here we can get someone to look into this for you.

Yeah - I just updated the thread for clarity (and possibly a bit of ranting on my part :wacko:). I agree this is in no way a critical issue.

I'm wondering if this is a stub for the clipper you seem to have in your beta. I don't have any clipper installed - but I would love to have proper webclipping support in Android. Clipping bookmarks from chrome is not evernote worthy :)

Is the beta program open for anyone to try? [EDIT yes, maybe => https://www.evernote.com/shard/s76/sh/01157eeb-9e09-4ae9-9694-a3b5efa14d0f/aa73f9be7382b91ef29be31a59ac2e13]

Thanks for your input.

Ticket is 552780 

Archived