Worth Upgrading Version

atangel

As someone who rolled back to Evernote 4.6 when EN went to 5 (I found the stability, design, GUI, and lost functionality too much and badly done)....

Any changes worth mentioning in later upgrades that show any progress in UI and functionality to make me revisit the decision yet? (felt the same way about the useless new chrome clipper too and had to roll back for productivity reasons).

Just curious.

• Level 5*

"Don't be first" (to use new software/ hardware /systems) is a fundamental IT rule - let others have the grief of sorting out the bugs.  Having said that I now have a beta version 5.4.1,  so I think we're a long way past 'first' for v5,  but I wouldn't presume to recommend that you upgrade even at this stage without trying the new layout.  If you're happy with what you have I don't see any major reasons for updating;  there are (allegedly) lots of improvements under the hood,  and you may have to take a jump at some stage for security / compatibility reasons;  but 'just curious' doesn't really cut it as a reason to update now...

• Level 5*

As someone who rolled back to Evernote 4.6 when EN went to 5 (I found the stability, design, GUI, and lost functionality too much and badly done)....

Any changes worth mentioning in later upgrades that show any progress in UI and functionality to make me revisit the decision yet? (felt the same way about the useless new chrome clipper too and had to roll back for productivity reasons).

Just curious.

atangel, you are wise to be cautious, and to NOT upgrade to EN Ver 5 until you have a compelling reason to do so.

I agree completely, the Ver 5 UI (for both Windows and Mac) is a HUGE step backwards.  It seems clear that the Evernote Developers have put "coolness" and appearance over the functionality of the EN App.

Also, it seems that Evernote introduces many more bugs with an Update than it fixes.  This is appalling, and contrary to good, sound, application development.

I stayed with EN Mac Ver 3 for many, many months until I became convinced that an updateto EN Mac 5 was "compelling".

So, I have upgraded, but I still strongly dislike the EN Mac V5 UI. 

Archived