"Exiting Evernote will disable all clipping functionality"

When running the latest version of Evernote for Windows desktop version (using Windows 8.1 but I hate the "app" version made just for this OS, so went back to using regular Evernote), I'm seeing a change in regards to the program and the Web Clipper.

The WebClipper loads when Windows opens as usual, as I want it to do (I do a lot of clipping from the web). 

Then, I open Evernote, and use it normally. However, when I then close the program, I get the error message in the subject line.

I do not want the WebClipper/clipping functionality to cease just because the program itself is not running. I've always been able to clip without having the program open in the past.

If I click OK on that pop up message, the Web Clipper/background clipping operation does indeed close and I can no longer clip anything until I re-open Evernote.

If I click Cancel, however, Evernote closes normally BUT the icon in the status tray and the clipper remain open and working.

The message is very confusing. Is there a way to disable it?

Gayze

What web browser are you using?

My primary browser is Chrome but I also have Firefox and IE installed (though never clip from them and rarely even open them; I only ever use them to check websites I work on for browser inconsistencies). However, it is the act of closing the desktop program that brings up the error message every time, and the behavior is 100% consistent as described above. This happens regardless of whether Chrome has been open or not.

This is odd. I'd suggest contacting customer support directly.

Thanks, I've just opened a ticket. I wonder if it's an unusual case of using the desktop version on windows 8.1.  

• Level 5*

?? If I completely shut down Evernote, I find that the web clipper (the one you access from your browser) still works, at least in Chrome. The web clipper communicates with the Evernote servers, not with your local Evernote application (Evernote.exe), as far as I know. Conversely, the Evernote screen clipper does communicate with your local Evernote application.Maybe it's a Win 8 thing; I'm using Win 7.

?? If I completely shut down Evernote, I find that the web clipper (the one you access from your browser) still works, at least in Chrome. The web clipper communicates with the Evernote servers, not with your local Evernote application (Evernote.exe), as far as I know. Conversely, the Evernote screen clipper does communicate with your local Evernote application.Maybe it's a Win 8 thing; I'm using Win 7.

The screen clipper is the one I need and which is shutting down when Evernote closes. I don't use the browser one at all, but the need the clipping and screen shot function of the one that resides in the system tray all the time. Perhaps I put the question in the wrong topic...but it was the only "clipping" topic I could find on the boards.  

Until the most recent Evernote update, I could shut down the main program, the clipper would remain open in the system tray, and I could continue to clip as I needed without the main program running.  Now, as seen in the first note above, the error is coming up whenever I close the main program, and if I click "OK", system tray clipping function is disabled. This rather defeats the purpose of having a clipper that resides in the system tray at all.

If I click "cancel", Evernote still closes, and the clipper remains available in the system tray.

At the least, it seems the programmers should fix that error message to correctly portray what is actually happening.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that I'm using the Desktop version for Windows on Win 8.1 rather than that horrible, dumbed-down "app" that resides in the ridiculous cell-phone screen "start page" (that I never use, either). LOL

• Level 5*

The screen clipper is the one I need and which is shutting down when Evernote closes. I don't use the browser one at all, but the need the clipping and screen shot function of the one that resides in the system tray all the time. Perhaps I put the question in the wrong topic...but it was the only "clipping" topic I could find on the boards.

Yes, this would go in the Evernote forum, tagged as a Windows topic, and then you could tag it with "screen clipper" or whatever. I'll move it, as it has nothing to do with the web clipper.

And yes, when you shut down Evernote totally (via File /Exit, or by right-clicking on the tray icon and selecting "Quit Evernote"), then the screen clipper is part of that, so it doesn't work any more. If you just want to close the Evernote client program, just close it by clicking on its red [X] button; the screen clipper will remain resident and available for use (and the tray icon will remain) -- I just tried this (caveat, I'm running the latest beta). I don't think that that behavior's changed in a long time, but again, this may be a Win 8 problem, which I don't have at hand right now.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that I'm using the Desktop version for Windows on Win 8.1 rather than that horrible, dumbed-down "app" that resides in the ridiculous cell-phone screen "start page" (that I never use, either). LOL

In earlier experience with the desktop application on Win 8, it was the same as Win 7. But that may have changed. I'll try to give it a go when I can.

I am simply clicking the X to exit Evernote desktop client. I'm not shutting it down totally as you describe. It is when I click the X that the above scenario occurs.

I have submitted a ticket (as mentioned above) but have had no response from support.

Thanks.

--Gayle

Yes, this would go in the Evernote forum, tagged as a Windows topic, and then you could tag it with "screen clipper" or whatever. I'll move it, as it has nothing to do with the web clipper.

And yes, when you shut down Evernote totally (via File /Exit, or by right-clicking on the tray icon and selecting "Quit Evernote"), then the screen clipper is part of that, so it doesn't work any more. If you just want to close the Evernote client program, just close it by clicking on its red [X] button; the screen clipper will remain resident and available for use (and the tray icon will remain) -- I just tried this (caveat, I'm running the latest beta). I don't think that that behavior's changed in a long time, but again, this may be a Win 8 problem, which I don't have at hand right now.

Try enabling "Synchronize in the Background" in the options:

Tools -> Options

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/1dcbe128-6628-4183-bc39-63047421cced/7c6a373b071db78f5c1d5f5aee6a43cb

For me this toggles the behaviour you see.

That worked.

I have no idea why that worked. It's not at all intuitive and I can't see how "syncing in the background" has anything to do with keeping the system tray clipping function open when the program is closed.

But it worked.  So, who cares?  LOL

Thank you so much!

--Gayze

• 1 year later...

I was having the same issue in Windows 7 and did a web search, finding this thread.  It also solved my issue. 

The logical connection to why it works is because "synchronizing in the background" is the same thing as giving the clipper permission to run as a background service that has permission to stay open in the background when the program is closed.  Every program that leaves something open when it closes is using up a part of the available RAM when it leaves the service open.  It's nice of them to not make that happen by default as the more available RAM left untouched, the less sluggish the machine will be.  Most apps leave their "TSR" (terminate and stay resident [in memory]) programs alive when they exit and don't care that it slows down the machine.  Though it was a little annoying to have to figure it out, I'm happy they gave me the best option by default and the option to turn it on if I want (in this case I want it to stay open as you do).

Tim

Archived