Search Term Capitalization matters

jbenson2

• Level 5
FYI

I am a creature of habit and always use Evernote Search Terms with lower case characters for consistency.

But today, I accidentally typed an upper case and got dramatically different results:

Notebook:leisure  (result 8 notes)

notebook:leisure  (result 4,542 notes)

Apparently Evernote believes the first search is for words starting with Notebook and leisure

But the second search is for the actual Evernote notebook called leisure

Version 5.4.0.3698 (271698) Public

• Level 5

Odd, must be a quirk on the Windows client. Not able to reproduce this on Mac 5.5.1 

Same results regardless of case for "n/Notebook"

Thanks - I can toggle the results back and forth, just by changing the first letter of the Search Term

I submitted a Support Request (Ticket# 547613 ). I'll post their response

• Level 5

Tag, is not case sensitive.

You are correct about the tag case. 

I've been using only lower case for Search Terms since 2010 after reading a post by Brett Kelly (he used to work at Evernote).  

Tip #26: "Choose a singular or plural convention for your tags (“book” v. “books”) and stick with it at all costs and under all circumstances. Ditto for capitalization. Trust me."

• Level 5*

The search grammar (http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php) is silent as to whether search term introducers like "notebook:", "tag:" etc. (that's not the grammar's term) are case-sensitive or not, though some (are specified as mixed-case (e.h. "reminderTime"), which might lead one to believe that they're case-sensitive. But there's no real reason to do so, and plenty of reasons not to, like all of the users who can't remember whether the search is, for example, "reminderTime", "remindertime", or "ReminderTime". Opening a ticket is entirely appropriate, and the search grammar should be updated as well to reflect whether case for these introducers is significant or not. 

BTW, the search panel will show you that "Notebook" is clearly not being recognized as a search term introducer.

Per the grammar, case for string matching is explicitly called out as not case sensitive.

• Level 5

The camelcase here is simply a visual separator, and except for "notebook:" EN is not case-sensitive... they should standardize this indeed.

Interesting - I had not heard of the term camelcase, so I looked it up.

http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/definition/CamelCase

The forum helps me learn about Evernote but other topics as well.

• Level 5*

FYI
I am a creature of habit and always use Evernote Search Terms with lower case characters for consistency.

But today, I accidentally typed an upper case and got dramatically different results:

Notebook:leisure  (result 8 notes)
notebook:leisure  (result 4,542 notes)

Apparently Evernote believes the first search is for words starting with Notebook and leisure
But the second search is for the actual Evernote notebook called leisure

Version 5.4.0.3698 (271698) Public

Good catch JB, and thanks for reporting.

This looks likes an EN Win bug to me, since EN Mac is case insensitive (I just tested it).

• Level 5

Odd, must be a quirk on the Windows client. Not able to reproduce this on Mac 5.5.1 

Same results regardless of case for "n/Notebook"

Thanks - I can toggle the results back and forth, just by changing the first letter of the Search Term

I submitted a Support Request (Ticket# 547613 ). I'll post their response

Latest communication from Evernote Support:
"I have verified this as an issue on my end. Before I escalate this issue to be filed as a bug I would need to know which version of Windows you are running."

After sending my Windows 7 64 bit info, they responded with:
"I'm going to escalate this to our technical support team for further assistance. Please understand that they are working on your case and a team member will respond to you as soon as they've had time to research the issue."
  • Level 5*

"I have verified this as an issue on my end. Before I escalate this issue to be filed as a bug I would need to know which version of Windows you are running."

"I'm going to escalate this to our technical support team for further assistance. Please understand that they are working on your case and a team member will respond to you as soon as they've had time to research the issue."

JB, two things strike me about the Evernote response:

1. In the first response the EN employee already knows which ver of Windows will cause the bug since he/she has reproduced the bug on his/her machine.
  2. In the second response, the support person did NOT do what he/she said he/she would do -- file a bug report.

Sorry, but all of this appears to be somewhat of a run-around to me.

JB, two things strike me about the Evernote response:

• In the first response the EN employee already knows which ver of Windows will cause the bug since he/she has reproduced the bug on his/her machine.
  • In the second response, the support person did NOT do what he/she said he/she would do -- file a bug report.
Sorry, but all of this appears to be somewhat of a run-around to me.

1. You may well know, but there is usually something called a minimum data set. This is often required before the request can go further. Trust me, having had many of my bug reports rejected for "not enough information" in my current position, is a pain. Especially as it is information that I do not have.

2. Since we are being pedantic, if you read it again you will see "Before I escalate this issue to be filed..." and "I'm going to escalate this to our technical support team for further assistance

That, to me reads as them doing exactly as they say. Either way, again, it isn't usually the frontline support that would file the bug report, it would be escalated to someone else who is responsible for that.

With regards to the actual subject of the thread.

This is kinda interesting to me, I have always searched using the exact cases that I have found on the KBs, thinking that they should be that way :D

Also, I think "stack" suffers from the same issue when searching. At least it seems to here.

• Level 5*

That, to me reads as them doing exactly as they say. Either way, again, it isn't usually the frontline support that would file the bug report, it would be escalated to someone else who is responsible for that.

I read that the same way.

Also, I think "stack" suffers from the same issue when searching. At least it seems to here.

Yep. And persists in the latest beta. I never noticed before because I usually type queries in lowercase.
  • Level 5*

Thx, I wasn't aware stacks are searchable.

Yeah, that's a nice little feature. Stacks are handy, but they have a faint whiff of afterthought about them. :) If only we all had perfect foreknowledge...

• Level 5

Latest feedback from Evernote Support. They confirmed what I reported.

Hi, and thanks for contacting Evernote Support.

Sorry to hear about the reoccurring issue, after looking into this further, I wanted to let you know I am able to reproduce this bug. I have submitted a ticket to our product development team to resolve this.
I am sorry there is nothing I can do to fix it for you, however I have assigned the ticket to myself so when it is updated I will be informed and happily reach out to you to let you know when it is resolved.

Archived