Evernote Web Clipper wil not install!

Susgod

My Springpad account was partially migrated to Evernote. I tried to install Evernote Web Clipper 5.9.1 in Firefox 29.0.1 PC browser, but received this message: Evernote could not be installed because Firefox cannot modify the needed file.  How do I install a working Evernote Web Clipper fir Firefox?

Hi Susgod,

Can you verify what OS version you are using?

We're aware that some users get this error message and our understanding today is that it is a bug in Firefox that we have trouble working around. Most affected users have had success if they do a clean wipe of Firefox using Revo uninstaller or similar tools, and then re-installing Firefox on a clean slate.

I recommend submitting a support ticket as they can walk you through the different escalating things to try on a step by step basis.

My PC runs Windows XP Professional. I enjoyed Springpad, but it is closing and offered migration to Evergreen. I never had a problem with the Spring It clipper. I'll seee if I can find where to file a support ticket with Evergreen. Thank you.

• 4 months later...

jbignert,

I have this same issue and submitted a support ticket as you suggested, but half a week has gone by and I have not received any reply (other than the automated confirmation email, which said that I would get a reply within one business day).

What can I do to get a reply?

Thanks.

@archimedes,

Post the ticket number and I can pull some strings. You can also post a detailed description on the forum on what the problem is and I'll investigate it.

Thanks for offering to help! :)

Here's what I submitted in the ticket:

~~~

I was happily using Evernote Web Clipper in Firefox 23 (with Win XP SP3), then finally decided to upgrade Firefox. First I reset Firefox to clear out any gunk, then upgraded first to Firefox 29, and then to Firefox 33.

Then I tried to install Web Clipper. First I tried installing from the Add-ons page within Firefox. Every time I do this I get the message "There was an error installing Evernote Web Clipper."

Then I tried installing from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/ . Every time I do this I get the message "Evernote Web Clipper could not be installed because Firefox cannot modify the needed file."

I didn't have this problem with Evernote Clearly, nor with any other add-on.

~~~

I recommend trying the beta version (which is close to finished) https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60185-web-clipper-6-for-firefox-beta/

We will not update the existing version 5.9.1 any further. It may be time to update from Windows XP as we are officially dropping support for it in the Web Clipper version 6. (it may still work but we are not testing against XP anymore)

I recommend trying the beta version (which is close to finished) https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60185-web-clipper-6-for-firefox-beta/

We will not update the existing version 5.9.1 any further. It may be time to update from Windows XP as we are officially dropping support for it in the Web Clipper version 6. (it may still work but we are not testing against XP anymore)

I got the Web Clipper 6 beta installed and working in Firefox  33.0.2. But I encountered a couple minor problems:

- After a half-dozen or so clips, the next time I click the icon the dialog pops up, but nothing happens when I click the Save button after selecting a clip type.

- After I close it, now when I do a Google search a window showing related notes pops up -- even though I have "Show recommendations" in the preferences unchecked.

Where/how do I report bugs for the beta version?

Archived