(Archived) Scaning my Moleskine notebooks?

Hi,

I have a few Moleskine A5 lined notebooks.

I am considering upgrading my account and scanning these in to Evernote.

However, I have a slight problem.

I can scan the book open, which is two A5 pages, this is fine. However the image needs rotating through 90 degrees.

I can save as a PDF of JPEG.

If I save the scans as PDF I am unable to rotate them 90 degrees before I upload to Evernote.

If I save them as JPEG I can do this before I upload them.

What I'd like to know is; what is the benefit of uploading them as PDF rather than JPEG, if any?

Thanks

Mike

What I'd like to know is; what is the benefit of uploading them as PDF rather than JPEG, if any?

Jpegs can only be one image. So if you have a notebook with 10 pages, you're going to have multiple jpegs. So you'd have one jpeg for page 1. Another jpeg for pages 2 & 3 (if you scan the book open). Another jpeg for pages 4 & 5. etc. PDFs can store all 10 pages, in order, in a single document. PDFs really are a lot better for multiple page documents, IMO.

Jpegs can only be one image. So if you have a notebook with 10 pages, you're going to have multiple jpegs. So you'd have one jpeg for page 1. Another jpeg for pages 2 & 3 (if you scan the book open). Another jpeg for pages 4 & 5. etc. PDFs can store all 10 pages, in order, in a single document. PDFs really are a lot better for multiple page documents, IMO.

Thanks for your reply.

The books each contain 240 A5 pages, which will be 120 A4 scans. I don't envisage making this in to one large PDF, besides each page contains different dates

and client information which I want to provide tags for to assist in searching.

Are there any differences in the OCR ability of Evernote with regards to PDF or JPEGS which I should be aware of?

Thanks

Mike

I would also like to know the answer to this, as I'm getting ready to scan in a massive amount of handwritten notes, and am curious about how well Evernote OCR's handwriting in PDFs. PDF form would be better organization-wise, but OCR is more important than organization at this point.

PDFs are more convenient if you have multiple pages that you're scanning at the same time.

If you're only scanning a single piece of paper, you'll probably find JPEG gives you a better experience in Evernote. I think our handwriting processing may be better in JPEG images than in a PDF.

I would also like to know the answer to this, as I'm getting ready to scan in a massive amount of handwritten notes, and am curious about how well Evernote OCR's handwriting in PDFs. PDF form would be better organization-wise, but OCR is more important than organization at this point.

I'm thinking I will go with JPEGs then, as a I say I need to tag pages individually, which means I need to scan each page in separately, if I ever need to convert them to a PDF I can do

that with other tools at a later date I guess?

Mike

Archived