Running Mac App store and regular versions simultaneously

pkondo

Idea

I want to migrate off of the Mac App Store version to the traditional version of Evernote.  I was wondering if I could install the traditional version, get it all synced up, and then just delete the app store version.  

The other way I've read to migrate is to export all notes.  Then delete the app store version, install the traditional version, and then import all the notes.

Not sure if one way is safer than another or if the first way is even possible. 

I assume the second way may be better since I wouldn't have to sync all my notes and files over the web since it would be a local import.

Thanks,

Paul

18 replies to this idea

I have not used the App Store version so I do not know why those are their or if they are supposed to be there, but technically the only things that should be in that folder are things that belong to Evernote, and as long as you have your files safely on Evernote's servers, which it sounds like you do, then deleting the whole com.evernote.evernote folde shouldn't cause any issues.

You do have backups of your system, just in case though, right? :)

About to do, finally! the good migration, and to delete all the relative folders, i am asking myself something:

in the "Data" folder:

/Users/"me"/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data 

there are folders called Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures. 

Most are aliases, but some are not: Document and Library. Can I delete them without problem, deleting the evernote/Data folders?? (There is also many other folders in them)

Sorry about this new question! :-/ 

You are totally right! ;^)) 

I precise that my point wasn't to criticize, but rather to understand the complete process! (btw I find the ressources found in this quoted website very rich, inspiring and interesting!)

The fact is that, using CleanMyMac, who found very much files associated with the app itself (more than appzapper, i tried it too), i expected (wrongly!) that everything would be cleaned up after using it.

Now, and thank you, I can have the clean installation of evernote, and so much enjoying it!

Well GM does say:

" Some people stop here, but I prefer to go through the files myself to make sure everything is gone, or use something like AppZapper to get rid of the files (http://www.appzapper.com/). Besides the location of your database mentioned above, some users (all users?) will have data located at ~/Library/CoreData, so I’d delete this folder as well."

But ultimately, what matters, is that it sounds like you have it figured out! :)

Yes, there was a missing step, i think, the one that you gave me! (deleting all the folders in these various locations!, before re-install the direct version)

Very kind of you to explain all about the migration, thank you again!

Ok; thank you! 

not sure that i wanted to clean things up, rather wandering if i "did the things right"!

Your advice (to "remove EVERY associated file" and folder) is maybe what i called the "missing step" in that page?:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135 

But yes, your advice is probably the good one! Remove everything, check the number of notes on the web version to be sure (!) and empty the trash can!

thank you again. 

Remember that all of your data are stored on Evernote's servers, that is the gold master data. Being careful and logging out of your Evernote account, deleting the app, and removing all those data files from your hard drive will not cause you to lose data because all your data are still on the server. 

Once you reinstall, the Evernote application will just pull down your whole database again. 

If you are really wanting to clean things up, you might just want to log out of the Evernote application and carefully uninstall the Evernote application, and remove EVERY associated file, so all the stuff from CoreData, from Application Support, from Containers etc. 

Once ALL of this stuff is gone, then re-install the direct version. This would mean that any evernote files on your computer belong solely to the direct download version. 

Hi, 
thank you for your answer, ScottLougheed.
With these "folders in folders, it is  a little bit hard to be sure, but i’m wandering if the data hasn’t (?) "moved" or disappeared. 
There are still the folder evernote in "containers"(/Users/"me"/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data), but i’m not sure there is still all the data, there. (i have the impression that something changed, there!)
But i’m not sure what to delete, there are so many folders in various places!

Now (in my user library) i have also
-a folder CoreData with "come.evernote.evernote":
/Users/"me"/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote (and other evernote folders)
-and a folder "Evernote" in:
/Users/"me"/Library/Application Support/Evernote.

I noticed that when i try some spotlight researches (something great, because before, with the mac app store version, i couldn't!), it often (always?) shows me the CoreData (/Users/"me"/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote) folder although it weighs only 61 Ko!
Rather confusing! I believe i won’t delete any folder, and I hope all will be fine! ;-) 

Once your new, direct installation has been installed and you have confirmed that the initial synchronization was a success, you can delete the App Store version database.

Now, Evernote shouldn't get confused with both databases on your system, but it is a waste of storage space on your computer!

Hi!

(please excuse my english, i'm french!)

I just did the migration from the mac app store version to the "direct" evernote version, as i read in that page, from GrumpyMonkey.

(because I had several times the notification "migrating notes from previous version" (but in french!;) when i lauched EN., and it was irritating!) 

First, thanks for that explanation. (and for the great other evernote ressources in your website! (i want to look much closer with 'markdown in evernote', now!))

But now, i'm wondering: i have now the both folders on my library, for my evernote data:

the "com.evernote.Evernote" folder in the "containers" folder (mac app store version), that remains, and the new "Evernote" folder in the "application support" folder (direct version). 

(I specify that i follow precisely the steps (and delete the app completely with "CleanMyMac"), which never tell us to delete the "container" folder.

Isnt't that a problem for evernote, something confusing? 

Doesn't it miss a step on the process of migration, about these two folders?

PS

I saw that i have o "CoreData" folder, but i don't know if it was there before the migration?

(here:) /Users/MyUser/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData

(I didn't have the ~/Library/CoreData Folder, as told in the web page, in any case, not here ;)

Thank you in advance for your explanations (i hope;) !

• Level 5*

I want to migrate off of the Mac App Store version to the traditional version of Evernote.  I was wondering if I could install the traditional version, get it all synced up, and then just delete the app store version.  

The other way I've read to migrate is to export all notes.  Then delete the app store version, install the traditional version, and then import all the notes.

Not sure if one way is safer than another or if the first way is even possible. 

I assume the second way may be better since I wouldn't have to sync all my notes and files over the web since it would be a local import.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi. I doubt it would be a good idea to do both at once. Here is the easiest method. As long as your notes are all in synced notebooks, you'll have no problem.

Some of us have local notebooks (not synced to Evernote servers), so those notes need to be exported as .enex files and imported later. Exporting and re-importing synced notebooks will just produce duplicates, so it is unnecessary.

Archived