Web Clipper 6 for Firefox - beta

jbignert

Idea

Hi all,

We have a release candidate version for the new Firefox Web Clipper that we'd like to invite a few select people to start testing.

It is a complete re-write and doesn't share any code with the previous version so we expect some turbulence in the beginning. 

When you report issues please post your OS, Firefox versions, URL where an issue can be observed and as much details as necessary for us to reproduce the problem. 

Not expected to work in this version:

- Sharing 

Get the latest build here: 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

And feel free to post both design & performance feedback as well as straight up bugs. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish List for the new clipper (which of course I have no idea if either of these are feasible!)

On the Clip list I wish it also had these two options:

1. Image
  2. PDF

PDFs often seem hard to clip. I frequently have to use the print dialog to save the pdf to Evernote.

Don't mean to be spamming the list but here are two more failed clips.

Steps:

1. Searched for a pdf: http://wasatchgardens.org/files/resource/attachment/Beginning%20Organic%20Gardening%20Resources_1.pdf
  2. Opened clipper. Clipper frame shows that it has just the pdf selected. Article is selected in the sidebar.
  3. Note clipped: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/620a9062-5e72-4e7e-9896-294e6ee3a760/2245944685329c74e8ee9d05695257f3
  4. Second try with full page selected: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/25bfb2b8-42ed-4d11-97ae-96b7ec16b675/af0ad6e9779933c32512cfc6f55dd261

Now I am going to go plant my garden!!

HTH,

Viv Ilo

All in all, I'm liking alpha 16 from Aug 20.  Has lots of potential!

Don't know if it's a bug, or an odd website, but here is a wordpress.com page that won't clip with this version.  It does clip in Chrome.

http://helentronica.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/quantum-mechanics-with-the-python/

I get the following error popup.  Well, I tried to paste image here, but forum won't let me.  Message says "Error: Error: Cannot read length of binary data"  (Yes, the word error is repeated, and there is no end punctuation.  At the very least, the double "Error:" suggests something unexpected is happening.

Hope this helps development.

Thank you for the useful, effective advice: a quick improvement when I installed the version recommended in jbignert's post.

In addition, I commend the civility in the string of posts, especially those of jbignert and Viv Ilo Veith.  Too bad this is not common.

Thanks.  - Tom Figel

• Level 5*

What versions of OS, FF, and EN clipper are you running?

I'm having trouble getting the clipper to work for me in Firefox. I'm running the latest version of firefox. I have reinstalled both firefox and clipper and I am running the latest version of Evernote. Anyone else having issues?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but can someone please explain step 3: Open finder window with location of xpi file and drag and drop this onto any open Firefox window.  

This installs it.

What is a "finder window"?

They mean open the folder where you downloaded the XPI file.

First of all, I'd like to commend the team at Evernote for putting the FF plugin back on the roadmap. With the introduction of the developer version of Firefox, the usual gray icon is no longer visible in the monochrome toolbar (screenshot).

Would it be possible to request a monochrome version of the icon as a configurable setting? I know it's a long stretch, but perhaps something to add given time (as a configurable option)?

Cheers!

• Level 5*

Hi all,

We pushed a new beta version that includes:

- Native clipping on Mac & Windows

- Selection clipping

- Various bug fixes including title bug and more.

Please reinstall from the original post or here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/2549631c-cebf-4b21-9518-95a2081bbc15/0c8e2fd9221398e819b141a600acf7dc

And let me know your feedback.

Thanks.  What's the Ver# of this Beta?

• Level 5*

Is this the sort of thing?

Related Results     
When enabled, searching the web with supported search engines will also display results from your Evernote account.

Should be in the options for clipper.

Mac OS X 10.6, Firefox 35, installed this version of Evernote Web clipper web_clipper_FF-Decmber-10.xpi anf Firefox become completely unresposive - only solution was manualy delete extension file from my profile.

Hi folks,

If you have a few minutes to help us diagnose the memory 'leak' please do following:

- after using webclipper for a while,

- navigate to "about:memory"in a new tab in Firefox,

- click the first measure button (top left box)

- copy-paste the tree that it shows (just select all, cmd-c) and paste it into an Evernote note and send to me as a PM via the forum.

Thx, all help appreciated. 

I am using alpha 21.1 but there seems to be an issue with thumbnail pictures not showing up in snippet view, both in desktop and web.

Firefox version is 32.0.3.

I have tried different sites.

No issue with full release clipper for Firefox or when clipping in Chrome.

Is this a known problem or is there some way I can fix it myself?

Hello, Using firefox 36.0.4 on windows 7, i just installed the latest beta clipper 6.0.15, I am unable to see the icon for the menu bar. 

If I go to customize, restore defaults, i see evernote web clipper in text, but the icon art is missing. If I try to drag this to the menu bar, it dissapears completely.  This done not happen with the standard install. Do you have any ideas of what i can do to get this back?

HI everyone, i solved my problem. this has to do with your History settings.

If you choose not to remember history, the icon does away. 

Also, if you choose to run in private browsing mode, it is also not avaiable. 

so, i now use a custom history setting.  i hope someone can use this info. 

Great update, thanks a bunch, here my feedback:

• I can't edit notebook or tags while in the clipper when I choose Native option to save, I'm quite sure Chrome doesn't behave that way (and I like to edit notebook and tags prior to saving! :) )
  • had an issue w this article, http://blogs.estadao.com.br/que-mario/uma-viagem-no-tempo-com-controles-de-videogames/ error was
    RangeError: arguments array passed to Function.prototype.apply is too large
     ( article is a list of images) - ver 5 was able to handle
  • this is a great great great update, native saving and selective clipping were things I was really missing, great to see it back. We also have screenshot and annotations (that I don't remember being there). The only last killer feature I miss is in google search results but I was able to work around it, just keep both betaa 6 and 5.9 running. I don't see any conflicts between them so far (just hide the old icon on the bar) and it's been great. I recommend to anyone.
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Any differences will be down to the different browsers and clipper functions.  Chrome being -I believe- a mini operating system,  it's possible to do more within it for instance than with the relatively locked-down Firefox.

If you prefer one to the other,  you could report differences back as a feature request to see whether Evernote can add better functionality to one or the other.  If you're solely concerned about the appearance of your clips - just stick to one browser if you can.

Latest beta causes Firefox to become unresponsive. Firefox 34.

Same here, completely unusavle under MacOSX Yosemite...

We generally do not give out dates but I can assure you this is one of our priorities. 

So far the longest beta I've ever tested.... Maybe 2015 will bring us the latest evernote webclipper. Hopefully

Hi all,

We have verified the memory usage problems and are working on a fix for them. 

If you have this problem it would be great if you can post more details about your typical workflow and that will help us narrow down the components that are offending. 

- What type of clip are you making? (article, simplified article, screenshot, etc)

- What notebook selection preference do you have? (smart filing, last used notebook, specific notebook)

Thx

I just installed the latest beta (27-jan) and I get tan error message when trying to clip the following article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/race-more-to-become-a-better-runner?adbid=560165398608244736&adbpl=tw&adbpr=14882900&cid=socTP_20150127_39468537

The message says "Error: Owner document doesn't match."

Regards

I had no problems clipping it. Looks like it's a problem on your end.

Try clipping it from another computer.

Having the same problem as Krunoslav earlier in the post - the beta version (6.0 alpha 16 from the note updated August 21) is showing up in my addon manager but no sign of it anywhere else in Firefox (version 31.0). No context menu entry, no toolbar icon, no icon in my customize menu.  It did give me a notification that the extension was installed successfully but did not require a Firefox restart.  I've uninstalled the extension, reinstalled, restarted Firefox in between, made sure both Firefox and everything Evernote related (Windows app, etc) were closed in the task manager.

Hi all,

We have verified the memory usage problems and are working on a fix for them. 

If you have this problem it would be great if you can post more details about your typical workflow and that will help us narrow down the components that are offending. 

- What type of clip are you making? (article, simplified article, screenshot, etc)

- What notebook selection preference do you have? (smart filing, last used notebook, specific notebook)

Thx

For me, regarding memory issues, it doesn't matter how I use it.  I think the moment it is installed, Firefox UI responsiveness goes down. Once its uninstalled it works fine again.

Having the same problem as Krunoslav earlier in the post - the beta version (6.0 alpha 16 from the note updated August 21) is showing up in my addon manager but no sign of it anywhere else in Firefox (version 31.0). No context menu entry, no toolbar icon, no icon in my customize menu.  It did give me a notification that the extension was installed successfully but did not require a Firefox restart.  I've uninstalled the extension, reinstalled, restarted Firefox in between, made sure both Firefox and everything Evernote related (Windows app, etc) were closed in the task manager.

After much disabling and re-enabling extensions, I've found the conflict - apparently the Web Clipper and Download Manager (S3) don't like each other.  I can live without that, though, and the Web Clipper looks great, though I haven't tried it much yet.

@MisterPetkus

Not sure I understand. I'll post here once we move to production (soon hopefully). After the new version is released the current 5.9.1 will update to version 6 and the beta should be removed.

If you actively disabled the current production clipper while running the beta version you should be able to enable it again at any time. 

If you are using Firefox nightly / beta builds then current production version should be compatible up to Firefox version 36 (at the moment). 

Well, Wikipedia clips broke again. Can't get anything beyond the title.  Same effect on a handful of other sites I frequent, while others clip same as before.  Did an update slip in there when I wasn't looking?  If so, how easy would it be to revert to previous versions so I can get back to work?

EDIT:

Well, it's only apparent with selective clipping. If I blindly clip the whole page without selection, it still grabs it.  Not sure what caused this change, but at least....(getting tired of saying this) ....there's a work-around.

I am experiencing the same behaviour as noted by matgardon above.

I recently switched from the old clipper to the new. Once I installed, Firefox experienced a massive increase in the amount of RAM and CPU it uses; even with 35% of my cpu and over 2 gigabytes of memory, firefox is unresponsive.

It is clear that the new Evernote clipper is responsible for this behaviour.

I have a couple of hundred tabs "open" in Firefox, but I have the browser set to only load tabs once they are viewed. I can only imagine that Evernote is trying to load information about all of the unloaded tabs...

I am very happy with the design of the new clipper otherwise and I do hope that this issue can be addressed. I also tried to use Clearly, but the ability to use tags is essential.

Many thanks for all of your hard work.

After much disabling and re-enabling extensions, I've found the conflict - apparently the Web Clipper and Download Manager (S3) don't like each other.  I can live without that, though, and the Web Clipper looks great, though I haven't tried it much yet.

Yes you are right, Loramir. That was the problem, good job on finding the source. I don't want to lose the Download Manager (S3), though. I would appropriate the Evernote team resolve that conflict.

That being said, and now that I finally got to try it out. It is a bit of a let down. Many of the features, are still missing to make it as the one in Chrome. Especially the smart filing. Otherwise it's pretty much like Clearly.

Semi-Offtopic: If you are wondering why the Web Clipper for Chrome and for Firefox drifted apart so far from each other, this recent blog post might be interesting: http://omniref.com/blog/blog/2014/09/08/writing-extensions-for-firefox-is-barely-worth-the-trouble/

If development is no fun for the developer, using the end result might also be no fun for the end user. :(

I don't think that is the reason. It's the policy of Evernote that annoys everyone. There is overwhelming number of evidence here on blog and forum about it. You can look for it yourself. Loyal and eager users, including paying premium ones like myself  requesting information about development and all they hear is echo. No response from Evernote. This was true for evernote on Windows vs. MAC and it's features for very long time. It was true for Android vs. iOS as well and other platforms. People are frustrated for that and not that one is harder to make or talks longer than the other. But for a company that is supposed to be cross platform and that compatibility being it's one of main features - they certainly have a strange policy of favoring one platform over the other. Apparently, the CEO Phil Libin is a MAC and iOS user so that a lot of times get more attention. Or how about the well known case when people were complaining about lack of response from Evernote team on many features that were available on one platform but not on the other platform and no response of any kind as to when and where they will be available. And than a prominent bloger wrote about the same things, it picked up press and all of a sudden we see personal response from Phil about their plans and how they should do a better job. No, the hypocrisy is not related to development difficulty on Chrome vs. Evernote. It's a conscious policy of the company, can but doesn't.

I can't remember how long people were asking about Firefox web cliper here on forums and zero response for a very, very long time. It wasn't a response, hey we are having trouble do to difficulty on Firefox platform but we are working on it and we expect to have beta ready by this or that time. No it was zero response. That is the part that frustrates people.

P.S.

"If development is no fun for the developer, using the end result might also be no fun for the end user." :(

A company the size of Evernote, that can try to sell me hand made wallet and thermo bottle with in app advertisement, but can't make a Firefox extension or find someone to do it, I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe as legitimate reason.

That being said, I hope their iron out the bugs and release the same functionality for Firefox as they did for Chrome. Otherwise I don't think I can feel great about their policy. People want to know that the company cares for its users as much as the users care for the company, when we see genuine efforts we can't forget all kinds of faults.

• Level 5*

Yes we test reported problematic sites aggressively so that's why they sometimes are opening on launch. That will certainly be removed for a release ready version, I realize it's somewhat annoying. 

Why do you embed the problematic sites in the source code?  Couldn't you just have a browser bookmark list of problem web sites?

• Level 5*

I've now rolled back to the production version - long story,  but the reason I returned to Firefox (from Chrome) recently was that I really need to have quick access to note links when processing various clips.  I far prefer the current Chrome and the new Firefox layout,  but the ability to save to my local database is a must,  so I don't have to sync first - which can take a little time.  What really brought it home was the recent outage when I couldn't sync at all,  and everything came to a screaming halt.  I really,  really need that native clipping - so back to basics for me!

Hi,

And thanks for working on porting the evernote extension to FF.

I've been trying to install this extension on my laptop for a few months, but each time, the extension makes my browser completely unresponsive, I'm not even able to exit correctly and have to kill the process.

I'm using other extensions that may interfer, such as session manager, ABP, disconnect, Pocket, Omnibar, PassIFox...

I've tried to disable them but it didn't change the behavior.

Upon restarting the browser, it does the same thing, that is my whole browser is completely unresponsive.

I have to start the browser in sage mode to disable the extension before being able to use my browser again.

I have an important number of tabs open (+100) and I'm using groups (previously panorama) to organize then and not have everything loaded at once.

I'm a web developer, so if I can do anything to help investigate the issue, I'm all open to instructions. Is there any log file to check out which is the offending script / which line is causing the hang ?

Thanks in advance,

Mathis.

Hi,

Really liking it so far, a great improvemennt over the previous version. 

Small issue i have noticed, in Firefox 30, if i add the icon to the Menu drop down then it still show the small icon and this looks very out of place. 

Also second the need for local clipping. 

Otherwise, excellent work

David

@igoose

What URL does this happen on? I've seen it certain pages (which is somewhat expected since the algorithm for finding the article may fail occasionally) Or does it happen on all article pages for you?

unfortunatelly happens in most cases

examples

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-once-tried-to-kill-a-journalist-because-of-t-1594678986?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-big-ideas-behind-androids-awesome-new-design-language/

For me, this is the worst beta yet.  Saving an article works 1, at most 2x, before clicking "Save" does nothing at all.  I have to then restart Firefox for it to save a clipping.  Rinse and repeat.

I've deleted the plugin and reinstalled.

Mac OS X 10.10.1

Firefox 33.1.1

Jim, I assumed that (the site you mentioned) and tried clipping. Clipping the article works for me (FF v 33 beta 2). I'm clippimg to the local client btw.

Thanks for that info.  I'll have to try to get  the 33 beta, and also try clipping locally.

Yes we test reported problematic sites aggressively so that's why they sometimes are opening on launch. That will certainly be removed for a release ready version, I realize it's somewhat annoying. 

No worries.  I actually got a good chuckle from it, and at least know you're working on the problem!

Thanks again.

for me it feels a bit weird to be on the editing area choosing a tag for example and the arrow keys being assigned to control the clipping area. not sure if this is under study, but wanted to bring the feedback.
Nice work, seems solid

Dear All,

I realised a difference between the Chrome and the Firefox Version that always makes me switch to chrome for easier use.

When Im on Facebook, and I save a photo to Evernote the following happens:

in Chrome: The title for the Note is the the title of the Facebook Page / Profile etc

in Firefox: The title of the Note is the picture name (10388633_488702011277301_270133631673027246_n.jpg)

Can that be changed?

• Level 5*

"It's the policy of Evernote that annoys everyone. There is overwhelming number of evidence here on blog and forum about it."  Err,  if you're referring to the fact that Evernote don't respond to requests directly and (almost) never announce new releases before the event,  that's always been the case since long before I joined this forum and is the kind of comment that's often made in routine responses (see my signature).  Evernote do march to their own tune,  but then so do all the major software houses.  The reason why the clippers work differently in different browsers,  is basically that they're different browsers - it's not practical to make them behave identically.  

I installed 6.0.12 on FF 36.0.4 on Linux Mint Debian (LMDE) and no button as well, sure I tried to customize toolbar, but can't even see the evernote icon in the available shortcuts.

Well... i installed 6.0.11 and it seems it doesnt work at all. I dont see any button or context menu entry which triggers Web Clipper...

running on FF 38.0a2

• Level 5*

The reason why the clippers work differently in different browsers,  is basically that they're different browsers - it's not practical to make them behave identically.  

I'm not sure how you would know this unless you are an Evernote web clipper developer.

I've seen lots of browser extensions/addins that have been developed, with the same features, for multiple browsers.

And, in fact, isn't that exactly what Evernote is doing now, developing a FF clipper that has the same features as the Chrome clipper?

The issue here that so many are complaining about is that development of the FF clipper has greatly lagged that of the Chrome clipper.  It does appear that there might be one technical reason:  Chrome provides a better development environment for addins.

I can say this:  The Chrome clipper is great, and is so much better that I have switched my default browser to Chrome.

Hi I just installed the Firefox Web Clipper 6 beta from Jan 27. The icon is not showing up so that I can put it in my tool bar.  I did the view> toolbar>customize. It seems to be a ghost. Only words without icon and will not attach when I dragg it to the toolbar.

Unsavy computer user. Thank you

Why do you embed the problematic sites in the source code?  Couldn't you just have a browser bookmark list of problem web sites?

Actually, I think it's great that it's in the code.  It gives them a readily accessible list of sites known to be problematic, so when a new clipper version is ready for release, they can quickly check those sites to make sure the difficult sites are still handled properly.  With multiple developers, one could miss a particular site if they were using bookmarks.

Remember, these are pre-release versions (at this point still alpha according to firefox), which means they are known not to be ready for prime time.

I just installed the latest beta (27-jan) and I get tan error message when trying to clip the following article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/race-more-to-become-a-better-runner?adbid=560165398608244736&adbpl=tw&adbpr=14882900&cid=socTP_20150127_39468537

The message says "Error: Owner document doesn't match."

Regards

I had no problems clipping it. Looks like it's a problem on your end.

Try clipping it from another computer.

Thanks. I tried the next day from the same computer and it worked flawlessly... No clue why

It's been more than 2 weeks without any news, is this issue still under investigation ? Can we expect something at some point ? Is the code open source so that we can fix it ourselves if evernote is not willing to take care of this ?

• Level 5*

Actually, I think it's great that it's in the code.  It gives them a readily accessible list of sites known to be problematic, so when a new clipper version is ready for release, they can quickly check those sites to make sure the difficult sites are still handled properly.  With multiple developers, one could miss a particular site if they were using bookmarks.

Remember, these are pre-release versions (at this point still alpha according to firefox), which means they are known not to be ready for prime time.

I see no advantage and lots of disadvantages.  If you want to add/remove a site, it requires very significant effort to change the code, debug it, test it, create a new build for distribution.  With a simple URL list of problem sites, like in a shared Evernote Note, it would be quick and easy, and allow for comments.

IMO, Alpha versions should NEVER be released to the public.

the initial area selected for the " article" clipping is focused on the title only (or a really small header area), on Chrome or Safari it gets a bigger chunk (usually the whole article)

My main issue ATM is the one discussed in all previous posts : CPU usage climbing to 100% when opening my browser with extension enabled OR enabling the extension when browser already loaded, making my whole computer completely unresponsive until I kill my browser and restart it in safe mode to disable the extension.

So, considering I cannot use the extension, I can't really list any other "basic use case issue" at the moment.

I'm a heavy evernote web clipper user, and for this reason only I keep a chrome tab open at all times, and I have to switch to it everytime I need to clip something from the web : it's either that or using a really limited and deprecated v5 extension on firefox. 

As you can see, the situation is not ideal.

My configuration may differ from nominal case only for the reason already stated multiple times above by Drag0nR3b0rn, Ismmchug & myself : I have a lot of tabs open in tab groups, but not much tabs open at any given time as I split them in a lot of groups to prevent heavy memory & CPU usage (FF option "do not load tabs until selected" enabled).

I'm available for any further investigation if needed.

FYI, the user reviews of this extension (6.0.15) on the firefox add-on page lists many users with a similar problem, for example :

"Well, I have to say that the functionality that it provides is pretty nice and certainly helps with gathering information versus manually doing it. However, the way the add-on was implemented drags my browser into the performance realm of a snail and I have a 4th gen Core-I7 with 32GB of ram.

Hopefully they can address this issue, but until then I have to leave this add-on disabled."

----------------------

"Restoring my session without this addon installed takes 20-40 seconds (I have way too many tabs). With it installed it take 3-6 MINUTES? wtf?"

---------------------

"The worst part of this add-on, and the reason why I removed it, is that if you have a lot of tabs, it will bring Firefox to grinding halt due to ridiculously large memory and CPU usage, even after a restart, when Firefox doesn't actually load the tabs until they are selected by the user.

Functionally, the interface is based on a pop-up window that is shown when the Evernote button is clicked, but disappears whenever you click outside of it. What's the point of highlighting the content that is being clipped, if you can't scroll and see the extent of the highlighting, when the content is long?"

----------------

And this is just taken from the first page !!! So if I had to guess, i'm not the only user with this problem ... And if you had a userVoice or some platform to tracks bugs & feature requests (just a suggestion), I'd guess this bug would show up on the top of this list.

• Level 5*

I get torn between Firefox and Chrome because the Chrome clipper is great,  but it saves clips to the server,  which then have to sync back to my local database before I can get a note link. Firefox has a lot of the same functions,  but it saves directly to my HD database so I can sync and get a link more quickly.  As you should be pretty much aware,  I'm not an Evernote Developer,  but I do talk to one or two of them,  and without using big technical words that I wouldn't understand,  the information I got suggested things worked that way because Evernote had to work within the limitations of the environment they were manipulating.  Also I kind of guess that if it were easy,  they would have done it already.

I can't vouch for whether or not the memory issue is better or worse, but this Beta does seem to have more problems for me. Upon installing it (Firefox 37/Ubuntu/32-bit), Firefox crashed after locking up for about 30 seconds (this lock up was present on the previous version, but not as bad). When I restarted Firefox, it again locked up for about 30 seconds, then everything seemed OK. The "No internet connection" issue is still present though, making it impossible to test further since I can't log in

6.0.25 Alpha of Oct. 8th

First: Thank you so much for the good workd (and especially for eleminating the gray background of saved "without formating" notes!)!

One thing:

On the Google search pages the big black box at the right side is far too dominant/distracting for the eyes. Make it smaller, lightgray or whatever, please.

@Igoose

Thanks for the added details. I tested against the latest FF Clipper build (June 26) and article detection was spot on. 

It may be that you have earlier beta version so I've updated the link in the OP with the latest build. If possible please confirm that this build performs better also for you. You will have to do a uninstall - reinstall.... 

My setup is very minimalist - I have no toolbars, sidebars, or menus visible, and I use the keyboard extensively. I have vimperator [link] installed, and I rarely use the mouse. I have a vimperator command mapped to activate the EN web clipper from the Tools menu.

I just tried installing the beta/alpha (package name and references in this thread don't really match), and I noticed that it does not have an item in the Tools menu. This means that I cannot use the clipper with my current setup, and I will have to add a toolbar just for the EN button.

Will the final release restore the menu item in the Tools menu?

I just noticed that the Tools --> Add to Evernote menu item is back on the Dec-10 version.

Thank you! :-)

Me again... just tried the extension of Firefox 37 (Nightly) on Ubuntu - same problem - "No internet connection". This was from my connection at home. The Win7 attempt above was through a proxy at work. I am in Thailand if that is at all relevant :)

Version 6 from the addons.mozilla.org managed to slow down my Firefox 33.1.1 on Windows 8.1 significantly. Loading pages, closing tabs and everything else lagged considerably and the Firefox process grew above 1 GiB, while with the Web Clipper 5.9.1 it sits around 600 MiB and there is no noticeable lag even after several days of usage.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

We have a release candidate version for the new Firefox Web Clipper that we'd like to invite a few select people to start testing.

It is a complete re-write and doesn't share any code with the previous version so we expect some turbulence in the beginning. 

When you report issues please post your OS, Firefox versions, URL where an issue can be observed and as much details as necessary for us to reproduce the problem. 

Not expected to work in this version:

- Sharing 

Get the build here: 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/2549631c-cebf-4b21-9518-95a2081bbc15/0c8e2fd9221398e819b141a600acf7dc

Note: The beta version will NOT update to newer beta's when they become available. That has to be done manually. 

And feel free to post both design & performance feedback as well as straight up bugs. 

Hi JB,

Well, I guess what you thought last year was a "Release Candidate" turned out to be an early Beta.

It is now rapidly approaching ONE YEAR since the above announcement.  Any chance we will get a solid, well performing, no-material-bugs production release any time soon?

I know you've been working hard, and I really appreciate your participation in the forum.  But, as you can see from the many above posts, we really need a solid V6 for Firefox very soon.  Yesterday would have been better.  ;)

Thanks for all your support.  I suspect the issue is lack of resources, out of your control.

Version 6 from the addons.mozilla.org managed to slow down my Firefox 33.1.1 on Windows 8.1 significantly. Loading pages, closing tabs and everything else lagged considerably and the Firefox process grew above 1 GiB, while with the Web Clipper 5.9.1 it sits around 600 MiB and there is no noticeable lag even after several days of usage.

I can confirm this as well. The addon makes the whole Firefox interface very slow and loading pages is slow as well. Only in Web Cliper 6 beta, not the earlier versions. I have to use Cliper instead now. Web cliper as is can't be used, make everything in Firefox so slow. please fix that.

Hi JM,

My biggest issue has been that its taken 4 months of waiting for a review by Mozilla. We submitted our new build in November 2014 and last week they started the review process which is required before it can be released to the public. We are now working on the final steps of the review process and it hopefully shouldn't be much longer until it gets approved. 

Obviously stability and 'solidity' is all on us and I think the most recent versions are good. 

At this point I recommend anyone who has been helping out testing our beta versions to uninstall then re-install from this location if you were previously using the manual download:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

This version will get you on the production release channel and future automatic updates once it gets approval from Mozilla. 

Krunoslav, I switched to this as a replacement for Download Manager (S3) - seems to work fine with the Web Clipper and does basically the same stuff as Download Manager (S3).

Having tried out the Web Clipper a few times, I found an issue with selection clipping (which I think is supposed to work in this release?).  If I select text and then use the context menu to clip the selection, it works fine and sends it to my default notebook.  If I use the toolbar button and tell it to clip the selection, it creates a note with the correct title but with no text, only a .acgi file attached to it.  I tried opening that file in Notepad just for curiosity, and it appears to contain the HTML code of the entire page I was clipping from.  I tried this on several different sites with the same result.  Clipping as an article or simplified article seems to work fine, so for right now I have to clip the whole article and go in and manually delete the bits I don't want.

Another thing - I miss the way the Chrome extension would give you a link to your note after it finished clipping. This one doesn't seem to (yet, anyway), so to check on whether the clip worked correctly or add a tag I forgot, I have to keep Evernote open and keep refreshing it every time I clip something.

Thanks, I remember trying hat one over the S3, but it had a bug and one of the finished downloads remain forever. I will either try it again or wait for the final release of Web Clipper where I hope the Evernote can fix the compatibility issues. Thanks once again.

@igoose

1) The beta needs to be re-installed manually at this time, thx for noticing. I added that info to the OP. 

2) As above

@dguillame

Thx, will look into the size of the icon in the Menu drop down. If possible can you post or PM a screenshot to me so that I'm sure we fix the correct instance... would be very appreciated. 

Clipping to local is in development. 

My setup is very minimalist - I have no toolbars, sidebars, or menus visible, and I use the keyboard extensively. I have vimperator [link] installed, and I rarely use the mouse. I have a vimperator command mapped to activate the EN web clipper from the Tools menu.

I just tried installing the beta/alpha (package name and references in this thread don't really match), and I noticed that it does not have an item in the Tools menu. This means that I cannot use the clipper with my current setup, and I will have to add a toolbar just for the EN button.

Will the final release restore the menu item in the Tools menu?

Is there a direct link to the latest xpi? I can't download it, no matter what browser I use. It stucks on the spinning balls.

annIQue.png

EDIT: Never mind, I finally got it working. I signed in again, revoked access to any Firefox Web Clipper extension and... voila, the new beta appeared. (For some strange reason.)

When clipping a page that contains a PDF document, after selecting save (Full page), everything looks like it's working but the page does not clip and you get a "EDAMUserException" error in a box and the only option is to click "OK"

I downloaded the latest beta version as suggested, the error is no longer present but it still does not properly save PDF files (of course I could just download, save them and attach them to a evernote doc instead).  When attempting to clip the pdf file (e.g. Adobe Lightroom doc at the following URL: http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/lightroom_reference.pdf) it seems to work but when reviewing the clipped document in Evernote only a small shell of the actual PDF exists and 90% of the actual content seems to be missing (majority of the 200+ pages are blank).

Installed successfully and seems to be very similar to the Safari plugin which I was hoping to get for Firefox.  The old Firefox plugin would occasionally close down when adding multiple tags.  This beta is much more user friendly.

Archived