Unexpected behaviour with Tags > Find a tag

OldGrantonian

I have EN 5.3.1 with Win 7.

I'm experimenting with "Find a tag" to search for tags (click "Tags" in left pane).

Expected result:  I assumed that if I typed "h" in the search box, I would see all tags beginning with "h". Maybe as a bonus, I might find the list reducing if I then type "ha", and so on.

Actual results:  If I type "h", the number of tags reduces by HALF. The following tags are found:

• hardware
  • health
  • history
  • household
  • humour
  • many other tags which might or might not contain "h". If they contain "h", the "h" might or might not be in the initial position.

Here are the results of adding further letters to "h":

• ha:  hardware. Nothing else
  • he:  health. Many other tags. For example, func, Ruby, moles.
  • hea:  health. Nothing else.
  • hi:   history.  Nothing else.
  • ho:  household. AuthorIT  (which includes "ho", so I suppose that's OK)
  • hou:  household. Nothing else.
  • hu:  humour.  Nothing else.

I would be grateful for any advice, or any link.

I have EN 5.3.1 with Win 7.

I'm experimenting with "Find a tag" to search for tags (click "Tags" in left pane).

Expected result: I assumed that if I typed "h" in the search box, I would see all tags beginning with "h". Maybe as a bonus, I might find the list reducing if I then type "ha", and so on.

Actual results: If I type "h", the number of tags reduces by HALF. The following tags are found:

• hardware
  • health
  • history
  • household
  • humour
  • many other tags which might or might not contain "h". If they contain "h", the "h" might or might not be in the initial position.
Here are the results of adding further letters to "h":

• ha: hardware. Nothing else
  • he: health. Many other tags. For example, func, Ruby, moles.
  • hea: health. Nothing else.
  • hi: history. Nothing else.
  • ho: household. AuthorIT (which includes "ho", so I suppose that's OK)
  • hou: household. Nothing else.
  • hu: humour. Nothing else.
I would be grateful for any advice, or any link.

I would suggest you upgrade to the latest version (5.4.0. 3698 (271698)), which works as expected for me.

As you suggested, I uploaded to 5.4.0. 3698.

I then exactly replicated all the results shown in my previous post   :(

But I now see what's happening.

Look at one of my results from the earlier post:

• he: health. Many other tags. For example, func, Ruby, moles.

Here is the reason for the other strange results. If the combination "he" occurs ANYWHERE in a tag hierarchy, then that entire hierarchy is included in the search results. (The combination "he" can occur in any position in the tag - not only at the start.)

So, if I type a single common letter such as "e", I see every tag in every hierarchy   :)

I suppose it's just another reason to discard tag hierarchies. I'm already pondering the decision to discard notebooks and convert to tags.

Earlier GUI had the nice feature of search as you type

It also did partial matching of user inputted tag string with in-database tag, which IMO is really important.

There is a problem while searching tags. Especially for space separated tags.

Eg. There exists a tag named "trap frames" (without quotes). Typing "frames" gives me a blank screen. I have to scroll(tedious) only to find the list of tags has not been reduced. Typing "trap" gives me squat.

Please don't making information retrieval(it already sucks so much) more difficult. Nobody cares for the cute GUIs.

• Level 5*

Earlier GUI had the nice feature of search as you type

It also did partial matching of user inputted tag string with in-database tag, which IMO is really important.

The current UI does infix matching on tag names and notebook names; try typing in the search control at the lower right-hand side of the main toolbar. This appears to match tags with embedded space characters (not sure about notebooks; I didn't test that case).

Archived