Why did my note lose its tables?

I use evernote to keep a running lab notebook, and I like to clip screenshots of figures that my research produces and put them into tables. I do this largely because evernote I want to see 4-5 figures next to each other, and putting them each into something like a 1x4 table (1 row, 4 columns) makes evernote resize them to something manageable (as opposed to having them occupy the entire screen one at a time)

I've been keeping this lab notebook for about 8 weeks now, and the file has gotten pretty large. Just a few days ago, I was scrolling through it and I noticed that all of my nice tables were gone! The images contained in them are still in my note (phew!) but their nice formatting is gone.

What happened? Why did evernote mess this up, and how can I make sure it doesn't happen again?

I have used tables over the years extensively, in Evernote as well as other text editors.  I have found all have the potential to lose some formatting from time to time, for various reasons.  File size "could" be a factor, but it may be difficult to say without looking at the backend.  The client (Windows or Mac) may play a factor as well.

Has this happened before, or is this the first time?  If it is an ongoing issue, I would suggest contacting Support for some help.  In the meantime, you could  take a look at the web interface of your account and see if the table formatting is gone in the Note there.  If not, I would say it is a client side issue.

If the formatting is gone from the Note in the web interface, then the formatting is gone.  I am interested in knowing if the table lines are gone and the images are still in the row x column format, or if the images are scattered as if never put in a table?

This is the first time this has happened.

The tables are gone and the images are scattered as if the tables had never been there. Fortunately the images are all stacked one on top of the other so there is some semblance of order. 

Additionally, the formatting is gone from the web interface as well. I am extremely disappointed with evernote for this. I switched to premium because I wanted full access to their features, *specifically* to use evernote as my go-to for all things related to my research, and I take the time to format the entries in order to streamline my work. What's also disappointing is there doesn't seem to be a snapshot of my files from before the formatting loss. 

I was going to suggest Note History.  Have you checked that out yet?

In addition, you may want to consider putting in a ticket.  It may be something EN can recover for you as well as fix the problem of losing the formatting.

This is the first time this has happened.

The tables are gone and the images are scattered as if the tables had never been there. Fortunately the images are all stacked one on top of the other so there is some semblance of order. 

Additionally, the formatting is gone from the web interface as well. I am extremely disappointed with evernote for this. I switched to premium because I wanted full access to their features, *specifically* to use evernote as my go-to for all things related to my research, and I take the time to format the entries in order to streamline my work. What's also disappointing is there doesn't seem to be a snapshot of my files from before the formatting loss. 

Have you put a Ticket in or discovered in anyway why this happened?

Interested in knowing for selfish reasons. <_<

I experienced something similar. I created a table 6 by 20 cells in OpenOffice Writer, put some data into the cells. Copied it into EN, formatting and data were beautiful. But one time putting in a comment that was a little too long to fit, it made a new linefeed as it is supposed to do, but the lines representing the cells' borders disappeared. Still, all the data items are where they should be, both on my PC (Windows 7) and iPhone 5, and I can make adjustments and additions as usual. Copying the table back to OpenOffice Writer shows no table, but the data items are where they should be, even the table header. This situation is OK for me, but there is obviously a bug somewhere.

I have not experienced the problem using Word to initially create the tables.  Could it be the OpenOffice Writer?  Maybe it's tables are not as secure as Word.  Just trying to think of different variables that may be affecting this.

Archived