Feedback for Version 5.5.1 (402628 Direct) Released 3/25/2014

GrumpyMonkey

Idea

• Level 5*

1. Local Notebooks

Please retain note links when moving notes from a synced notebook to a local one. 

2. Startup

Please fix the login screen that appears every time you start the app, even if you are logged into it. I suspect this may have something to do with having multiple accounts. I think this has been occurring since the Version 5 update in 2012.

3. Tag names

Please do not truncate tag names or the list of tags for a note. 

4. Notebooks

Please provide some indication whenever a notebook (or note) is shown about whether it is in a shared, joined, synced, business, or local notebook. 

5. Notebook Names

Please do not truncate notebook names in the list view for the notebook nab. 

6. Fonts

Please give us control over font style and font size for the interface. Asian characters take up a lot of space and it is very difficult to see all of the information unless I expand to full screen or use the top list view.

7. Joined / Shared Stuff

Please allow us to hide joined tags, notes, and notebooks. They keep appearing and, ideally, I would like the option to completely hide them from view. I would also like the option to block the creation of new notes in shared / joined notebooks. Accidentally creating a note in the wrong notebook (remember, there aren't even ways to distinguish shared, joined, local, and synced notebooks) is a constant concern.

8. Editing

For some reason, even when things are not centered, the justification shows as centered, and I cannot modify it. Specifically, when copying centered stuff, sometimes it runs into this problem in which the justification doesn't match.

9. Syncing

Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to force the app to close. It may be my bad Internet connection. I don't know.

10. Encrypted Notebooks

Please.

11. Selective Sync

Please.

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Jackolicious:  Thanks for checking in.  Am I wrong, but should't we have more icons in the "Expanded Card View"?

@GM:  I am able to adjust the width of the windows between the List/Snippets of Notes and the Note View by moving the vertical line separating the two areas.  Does that not help with viewing more tags?

I need a 17" Mac :)

It depends on the tag length, number of tags, screen size, and window size. It shouldn't, though. I'd prefer no more dropdowns, popovers, dropdowns, or dialog boxes. I think we ought to be able to edit the field, just like you would in any field, by either having it expand to accommodate the tags in it or allowing us to scroll within the field. As much as possible, I want to take actions without having to leave my note, have parts of it occluded, or having to un-hide information. The current interface, in terms of information density, is so very anemic, in my opinion.

Large Gap of Space at Top of Document Attached to a Note

Has this gap always been there, or is this an issue with 5.5.1?  Either way, can it be changed?

With this large gap at the top, the ability to Preview the contents of the document is greatly limited, without having to click on "Quick Look".  If EN could keep the top margin of the attached document the same in a Note, as the margin in the document, this would be helpful.  In addition, the current view is less aesthetically appealing (At times this matters), as well as less functional.

See link:  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s48/sh/381b1a8c-fe1e-41f7-93ff-c220e6626296/bbae27cea13df321cf114b2b025ea5c0

I hope I am not being too "nit-picky" with my feedback.

Thank you!

New Note moving out of edit mode when changing the Title name.

I have my Notes set to Sort by Title:

When I begin to edit a new Title for a newly created Note from Untitled Note, after I type the first two letters, the Note jumps into it the alphabetically correct position BEFORE I finish typing the Title and moves out of the edit mode.  As that happens, the first Note in the Notebook appears as I am still typing, and I wind up editing the first Note's title without wanting to.

I then need to track down the New Note I had created to finish changing it's title.

Is this by design for the Note's location to change so quickly before finishing changing the Title?  Or an oversight?

Thank you!

Annotating a Note or PDF in Evernote

I have noticed on several occasions (6 out of 10 times), when annotating a Note or a PDF within an existing Note, the annotations do not appear.  Or, they appear "in-part" only.  After redoing the annotation 3-4 times, it finally sticks.  I have evaluated and re-evaluated my process in making the annotations, but of course I cannot see that I am doing anything wrong.

I am not sure if it is a Skitch issue or an EN issue.  

Thanks.

Mac OSX Mavericks

Macbook Pro

Evernote 5.5.1 (402268 Direct)

Desktop Email Client set to Default:  POST OFFICE

Image showing my problem!

I have been using Post Office for a several months. Prior to EN V 5.5.1.  When you look at the image on the link, you will see the Evernote elephant icon in the menu at the top of the Home Screen of Post Office and I also have it with each email I open in it's own window.  I use that button a lot to send emails into EN.  Rather than emailing to EN, I find it easier to use this icon as it is easier to set the Title, Tags and Notebook.  It immediately creates a new Note to pop open allowing to make those edits, or anything else I wish.

For the past week or so, I have been getting the dialogue box shown at the bottom of the linked image.

Any idea why I am all of a sudden getting this dialogue box?

@Jackolicious:  Thanks for checking in.  Am I wrong, but should't we have more icons in the "Expanded Card View"?

@GM:  I am able to adjust the width of the windows between the List/Snippets of Notes and the Note View by moving the vertical line separating the two areas.  Does that not help with viewing more tags?

• Level 5*

Thank you GM for starting this thread!

Thank you for all of your feedback! Here are examples to illustrate some of the points:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/0b65e1b1-2a27-4cf6-b8e2-85ddcf69f8a5/fe1f28bb92af30bdc8568b6c0e66d99a

As for fonts, we already have access to all of the fonts and font sizes we need, and whatever problems there are with the editor, fonts aren't one of them (in my opinion). I wrote a blog post about how to manage this.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1512

I'm thinking about the interface, which is quite frustrating if you have long note titles, and really quite unusable if you have Asian characters, which take up about twice as much space per character. We lost the ability to adjust fonts and font sizes. I thought I could adapt, but really, I am still frustrated years later. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it is a daily annoyance, to be honest. In short, I'm looking for more information density here.

1. Local Notebooks

Please retain note links when moving notes from a synced notebook to a local one. 

2. Startup

Please fix the login screen that appears every time you start the app, even if you are logged into it. I suspect this may have something to do with having multiple accounts. I think this has been occurring since the Version 5 update in 2012.

3. Tag names

Please do not truncate tag names or the list of tags for a note. 

4. Notebooks

Please provide some indication whenever a notebook (or note) is shown about whether it is in a shared, joined, synced, business, or local notebook. 

5. Notebook Names

Please do not truncate notebook names in the list view for the notebook nab. 

6. Fonts

Please give us control over font style and font size for the interface. Asian characters take up a lot of space and it is very difficult to see all of the information unless I expand to full screen or use the top list view.

7. Joined / Shared Stuff

Please allow us to hide joined tags, notes, and notebooks. They keep appearing and, ideally, I would like the option to completely hide them from view. I would also like the option to block the creation of new notes in shared / joined notebooks. Accidentally creating a note in the wrong notebook (remember, there aren't even ways to distinguish shared, joined, local, and synced notebooks) is a constant concern.

8. Editing

For some reason, even when things are not centered, the justification shows as centered, and I cannot modify it. Specifically, when copying centered stuff, sometimes it runs into this problem in which the justification doesn't match.

9. Syncing

Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to force the app to close. It may be my bad Internet connection. I don't know.

10. Encrypted Notebooks

Please.

11. Selective Sync

Please.

Thank you GM for starting this thread!

Mac OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks, Evernote 5.5.1 (402268 Direct)

1.  Local Notebooks:  That would be nice!  In addition, it would be nice if the Local Notebooks, Shared Notebooks and Synced Notebooks could be separated by a Rule Line in any/all of the "view" options.  This could help alleviate the issues in Line Items 4 & 7 as well.  (user controlled option?)

2.  Start Up:  I have multiple accounts and I am not experiencing this issue.

3.  Tag Names:  I am not experiencing this issue.

4.  Notebooks: +1  (See Item 1 above)  This can be confusing at times.

5.  Notebook Names:  I am not experiencing this issue.

6.  Fonts:  +1  This could be included in an all around improved editor.

7.  Joined/Shared Stuff:  (See Item 1 above)  +1,  As is, accidentally creating a new Note in a Shared Notebook is quite easy to do.

8.  Editing:  I am not experiencing this issue.

9.  Syncing:  I am not experiencing this issue.  However, I have less than 200 notes at this time. (if that is a factor)

10.  Encrypted Notebooks:  +1

11.  Selective Sync:  I see the advantage to that.  +1

Archived