Manage sharing permissions (#modify) for individual notes?

travisham

Idea

Is there a way to share an individual note with another EN user and give them the ability to modify that note without giving them access to the entire notebook in which it's contained?

Reason: I have a shared notebook for which my boss and I both have access to modify notes and invite others (via Premium). We need to be able to provide some of our co-workers with the ability to view & modify specific notes out of this notebook without giving them access to view the entire notebook.

Incidentally, I tagged this post as both #mac & #windows as I use a Mac & my boss uses a PC (Windows 7 if I recall). Thanks in advance  :)

8 replies to this idea

Is there a way to share an individual note with another EN user and give them the ability to modify that note without giving them access to the entire notebook in which it's contained?

Reason: I have a shared notebook for which my boss and I both have access to modify notes and invite others (via Premium). We need to be able to provide some of our co-workers with the ability to view & modify specific notes out of this notebook without giving them access to view the entire notebook.

Incidentally, I tagged this post as both #mac & #windows as I use a Mac & my boss uses a PC (Windows 7 if I recall). Thanks in advance  :)

Yes...just share the note. It should be under the sharing option in the note.

But I am not sure this allows the receipient to edit the note.... ?

• Level 5*

Is there a way to share an individual note with another EN user and give them the ability to modify that note without giving them access to the entire notebook in which it's contained? Reason: I have a shared notebook for which my boss and I both have access to modify notes and invite others (via Premium). We need to be able to provide some of our co-workers with the ability to view & modify specific notes out of this notebook without giving them access to view the entire notebook. Incidentally, I tagged this post as both #mac & #windows as I use a Mac & my boss uses a PC (Windows 7 if I recall). Thanks in advance  :)

I don't think this will work. Sharing a note gives no modification privileges. Sharing a note from a notebook with sharing privileges would work, of course, but only if the person saw the entire notebook. There is no way (that I know) to share a note with modification privileges while preventing access to the notebook.

A workaround would be to have two shared notebooks with modification privileges: one for sharing with multiple people and another for just sharing with the boss. Handy links (see my shared notebook in my signature) will make it easy for your boss to navigate and they probably won't even notice.

Thanks for the speedy replies everyone! Given that these seem to be the only options for sharing an individual note...

post-87784-0-91676900-1400858982_thumb.p

...I think Scott & Grumpy are confirming the wall I've been running up against. If this is indeed the case, then it looks like I'll just need a lot more notebooks:

• 1 notebook for general information (shared with all applicable coworkers)
  • 1 notebook for client notes which have yet to be assigned to coworkers (access only for my boss & myself)
  • ... and notebooks for each of my other coworkers (for which my boss & I will assign specific client notes)

This seems like the most efficient method given the aforementioned constraints. Am I making things more complicated than needed?

I don't think this will work. Sharing a note gives no modification privileges. Sharing a note from a notebook with sharing privileges would work, of course, but only if the person saw the entire notebook. There is no way (that I know) to share a note with modification privileges while preventing access to the notebook.

But I am not sure this allows the receipient to edit the note.... ?

Ah...looks like you both are right.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the speedy replies everyone! Given that these seem to be the only options for sharing an individual note...

attachicon.gifsharing options.png

...I think Scott & Grumpy are confirming the wall I've been running up against. If this is indeed the case, then it looks like I'll just need a lot more notebooks:

• 1 notebook for general information (shared with all applicable coworkers)
  • 1 notebook for client notes which have yet to be assigned to coworkers (access only for my boss & myself)
  • ... and notebooks for each of my other coworkers (for which my boss & I will assign specific client notes)

This seems like the most efficient method given the aforementioned constraints. Am I making things more complicated than needed?

Unfortunately, that is the most "efficient" solution. I have been lobbying for "shared tags." In a case like this, you might have three tags on a note that could be shared with any of the three groupings and one tag on it for a single group. Unfortunately, my suggestion has not been implemented. I imagine it would be no small feat to entirely upend the service :)

Unfortunately, that is the most "efficient" solution. I have been lobbying for "shared tags." In a case like this, you might have three tags on a note that could be shared with any of the three groupings and one tag on it for a single group. Unfortunately, my suggestion has not been implemented. I imagine it would be no small feat to entirely upend the service :)

I had a similar thought that this would've been far easier to implement with tag sharing (keeping one note in one place, but being able to share and make editable through more than one way). Maybe someday :)

Archived