(Archived) Limit exceeded does it make Evernote useless?

Hi,

I scanned a bunch of receipts for the office and dragged them to Evernote and exceeded my monthly premium account with 10 days left in the cycle. Thats okey I guess -what is not okey is:

a. I can´t purchase "more credits"

b. I can´t even add more notes locally without getting the "This new note would exceed your sync limit" -even when I turn the sync off and set it to manually. Does it mean that if you get close to the limit you can´t even capture webpages, etc. locally and sync "in 10 days with the new stuff" because if so then I guess this tool is useless for me at the office.

Thank you in advance for any help on this!

TmORV

Wow...you really should research products before jumping right in. Also, your questions have already been addressed, had you researched the message board.

First, you cannot buy more usage than the 500 mb.

Second, I don't know about after you've exceeded your upload limit but I know when you start to get close, yes you can add notes to local folders. Then as you get closer to the end of the cycle, you can add them to sync'd folders so you can use up as much of your allocated amount as possible. Had you known this by researching, then you could have continued to add receipts to your local folders.

EN may not be the best tool for capturing your receipts, if you have that many. I've been using NeatReceipts (best for thermal receipts from gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, etc) and Paperport (best for larger, non-thermal items or downloadable bills/statements such as credit card bills, phone bills, etc.) for the past three years for organizing my receipts, bills, bank/investment statements, repair bills, estimates, etc.

I use EN for many other things such as documenting all kinds of things I want to remember. It's gradually replacing the memos section of my Palm TX. I also use it to "archive" old emails, when cleaning up Outlook.

Good luck.

• Level 5

Burgernfries - I also use Neat Receipts for my small receipts.

Do you do anything with your monthly credit card statements? I was thinking of using Evernote, but I am concerned about the size of the images.

Burgernfries - I also use Neat Receipts for my small receipts.

Do you do anything with your monthly credit card statements? I was thinking of using Evernote, but I am concerned about the size of the images.

I save them all. :lol: (Digitally, that is - I've been trying to get as paperless as possible for the past 3 years.) For non-thermal bills/statements/receipts, I prefer to use Paperport rather than NeatReceipts. Mostly b/c the NeatReceipts program tries to OCR everything & when doing that to the larger pieces of paper, it takes FOREVER. The NR scanner is better for scanning those small receipts, though. It's also nice for being able to quickly search through all the small receipts when you're trying to find a particular one.

In Paperport, I'm able to quickly find things because I'm pretty good (anal?) at naming folders & files. IE, I have a folder named "bills" that's then got sub folders by year. The year folders have sub folders by vendor name & one called CC for credit cards. Then there are sub folders in the CC folder by what credit card it is (AMEX, BofA, etc.) & initials (mine or my husband's.) So my AMEX statements for 2009 are stored in the bills/2009/CC/AMEXSSL folder. Then each statement has a meaningful name with the bill date appended at the end. IE my AMEX bill for PE 7/29/09 would be AMEXSSL_20090729 The system sounds more complex than it really is. :lol: Since Paperport can scan in as PDFS & can read PDFs, I also use it to organize the bills/statements that I download from the 'net (rather than get a paper copy.) Anyway, if you wanted to store them in EN, my suggestion would be to store them in a local folder, since they have sensitive info on them (IE your full credit card account number.) Had I not already been using Paperport for a couple of years before really getting into EN, I might have used EN to organize them. But again, I would not have them in sync'd folders.

Thanks for answering! (I don´t see the "Wow..." effect on my question however but thanks anyways :-)

I still think it´s odd for a company that you can´t purchase credits when they base their income on ads and subscription services. It just means that Evernote are doing well when people use it "a lot" -kind of like Gmail. There you always have the option if you exceed the limit.. And they are similar in many ways (atleast on how I have chosen to use them).

I beg to differ on using other programs side by side with Evernote since they do a great job on indexing all my scanned PDFs, and I think this still can be the killer app for all notetaking -in the means of that you don´t need "other software" storing some of the things..

I will just then stick to what I have done before: All scanned office documents are dropped with mailplane to a receiptAccount_xx@gmail.com where Gmail does the same thing as Evernote indexing all the pdfs and making them searchable, and are also as easy availabale on my iphone as Evernote. Aaaand its free with an 8 gb startup account. Not to mention that the docs are in good hands. I do think Google will also be here in 10 years..

I wonder if Gmail and the Google apps suite will at some point offer something like Evernote? Time will show. They do support the plugin scene at the moment and a "capture to gmail" function for the OS and browsers wouldn´t be very hard to make ;-)

Just a thought on the subject!

:-)

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... files.html

Second, I don't know about after you've exceeded your upload limit but I know when you start to get close, yes you can add notes to local folders. Then as you get closer to the end of the cycle, you can add them to sync'd folders so you can use up as much of your allocated amount as possible. Had you known this by researching, then you could have continued to add receipts to your local folders.

Good luck.

• Level 5
What is this 'local folder'? I can't find anything on it in online help.

When you create a new notebook, you have the option to make it:

a local notebook or

a synchronized notebook

Archived