Evernote momentarily freezes while working on it, giving no feedback

Since my last update to version 5.4. Evernote freezes for some moments, while I write.  You can still write or work, but you cannot see it. Suddenly, it comes alive again, showing everything you have done.

You can imagine how uncomfortable it is, as you have no feedback of what you are doing. It is not a hardware problem, as I have reboot it and previously, it worked flawlessly on my intel i5 Win 7 64 bits.

Any help or idea would be much appreciated and please excuse my english

• Level 5*

Hi - no apologies necessary;  Evernote are aware that sometimes the software 'freezes' while in use, and have been working on ways to prevent this happening. If it is a particular problem for you,  I'd recommend raising a support ticket (see below) so you can see whether reinstalling the app or refreshing the database might improve your experience.  Otherwise I'm sure further updates will include more improvements as they are developed.

Hi! thanks a lot, I wonder if you could guide me on how to refresh the database, (I have already raised a support ticket and reinstalled it). I already know you from reading other posts, and i would like to thank your labour  :)

• Level 5*

You should be able to find more instructions in the forums if you need them,  but briefly the idea is:

1. If you have any local notebooks or unsynced notes,  export them,  one notebook at a time,  to separate ENEX files.
  2. Check the location of your database (EXB) file via Tools > Options > General (usually C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote) - open the folder (from the same menu).
  3. Exit Evernote completely via File > Exit and make sure there's no icon in the system tray.
  4. Copy the database folder somewhere safe - just in case the next bit goes wrong. 
  5. Delete the orginal database file.
  6. Restart Evernote and re-download the database - if you have a lot of notes it will take some time.
  7. If you exported any notes,  re-import them.

UPDATE FOR READERS: I am still working on it with the support team (i am on business membership). I have already refresh the database (twice) and re-install cleanly with Revo. Nothing has changed, in fact, as far as I know, it is worsening: it keeps on freezing while writing, also while changing notes, and from time to time, it hangs, with the "loading" cursor in that way that it seems it is going to break.

As soon as I can obtain a solution, i will post it here.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The problem was getting worse (at least from my point of view) Evernote crashed from time to time. Another clear installation of Beta version 5.4.1 made no difference. After several emails, support agreed to send me a previous Evernote Version. I have downgraded to Evernote 5.2. and, as you wonder, it has "solved" the problem. There is no freezing... Although, in fact, there is some (now I am very sensitive), it feels like the beginning of the problem, it happens when notes are sync or sorted, but it is not problematic to work with.

I had suspected from the very beginning that Version 5.4 was the cause of my problems and not my computer as they confirmed that my hardware is enough for Evernote (Win 7 Dual-core i5 with 4Gb RAM).

I am not satisfied, as I have lost very interesting functionalities like presentation, so I am going to keep an eye on this issue, and I hope to inform you as well.

UPDATE: The problem was getting worse (at least from my point of view) Evernote crashed from time to time. Another clear installation of Beta version 5.4.1 made no difference. After several emails, support agreed to send me a previous Evernote Version. I have downgraded to Evernote 5.2. and, as you wonder, it has "solved" the problem. There is no freezing... Although, in fact, there is some (now I am very sensitive), it feels like the beginning of the problem, it happens when notes are sync or sorted, but it is not problematic to work with.

I had suspected from the very beginning that Version 5.4 was the cause of my problems and not my computer as they confirmed that my hardware is enough for Evernote (Win 7 Dual-core i5 with 4Gb RAM).

I am not satisfied, as I have lost very interesting functionalities like presentation, so I am going to keep an eye on this issue, and I hope to inform you as well.

Fredi, yes, there have been a few issues that have been reported in the 5.4, including this freezing and also with the losing of tags.  The issues have also not yet been resolved in the latest beta.

I don't mean to sound harsh, as the application is essential to my daily routine and has been an overall wonderful product, but I feel that someone really dropped the ball on the latest public release.  A simple regression testing of the business side of the application should have caught the tagging issues (I noticed it on the first note that I wrote post the upgrade).  The intermittent freezing is also apparent every few minutes, and it was a lot less annoying to have the occasional note show up in the Conflicting Changes notebook than to deal with the noticeably slower speed of typing and the freezing.

I almost always automatically update to the latest release/beta, and this was the first time I have had to revert back to a previous version as it was simply unusable in my business setting.  

Good to see that I am not the only one experiencing this problem... I already reinstalled the software, without any luck. It's not too bad for me, so I am not downgrading yet, but good to know that is an alternative as well.

Thanks Xabi and Hans, I didn't notice the tagging problem as I am not a power-tagger (although the few ones I use are crucial for me). I think I am going to stay with 5.2 for some time, at least until 5.5  :rolleyes: .

By the way ¿is it a evernote business related problem? ¿Are you both in Business plan?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Xabi and Hans, I didn't notice the tagging problem as I am not a power-tagger (although the few ones I use are crucial for me). I think I am going to stay with 5.2 for some time, at least until 5.5  :rolleyes: .

By the way ¿is it a evernote business related problem? ¿Are you both in Business plan?

Hi

I have the same Problem with payed non business, it keeps on freezing while writing, also while changing notes. I am also getting duplicate notes (notes in Conflicting changes) when making small text changes or adding PDF's when working only in the windows environment. Also Practically annoying and Probably something to do with this problem is the blue progress line/bar going across the top of a notes when you open notes or change between notes or edit notes.

I do notice that there is a improvement with making note links in 5.4 but this is a small gain compared to the big step back in usability with Evernote freezing every time I do something.

I really want to go back to 5.2.

• 1 year later...

STILL A PROBLEM WITH VERSION 6.0.6 LATEST VERSION... NOW IT'S GETTING WORSE AND ADDING IN NEW 'FEATURES' LIKE MESSING UP FORMATTING, function-right arrow taking you to the end of note vs. end of line, random formatting changes, etc... completely unusable at this point so reverting back to 5.2. Thanks for posting link-

• 3 months later...

I have version 6.2 and it hangs a lot. I hate it. I shifted to evernote from Onenote and I am paying for it, only for the convenience of taking notes. But the evernote hangs so much that it becomes difficult for me to concentrate on my job. Can someone suggest me some way to overcome this problem

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're a paying user please contact support to raise this - they can look at account details we can't.  Meantime make sure you've switched off Context,  that you only sync every 30 minutes (not instantly) and empty your Trash notebook and deal with Conflicting Changes (if you have any).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived