untitled note - make the first line of each note the title automatically

I must be mistaken..Evernote is touted as the biggest note app out there and all my notes come up as 'untitled note' as the app doesn't take the first line of the note as the title. I must be wrong? Surely they have not missed this basic feature? It's part of the ease of use and workflow built into every app, surely the developers thought of this? There have been so many updates for iOS, did i download an old version? Please tell me I'm wrong as this is bonkers to not have this feature. Why do i have to go through an extra step every time i create a note to add a title? Onenote has this. 

Why are the developers not listening to the customer base?

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24126-automatic-note-titles/page-4

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/53886-please-bring-back-auto-titling-on-ipad-ios7/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43071-feature-request-first-line-of-text-note-title-settings-option/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24512-prepopulated-title-field/?hl=%2Btitle+%2Bname

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/55564-set-note-title-to-selected-text/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/15999-first-line-of-note-as-note-title/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16293-using-first-line-of-note-as-title/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23360-help-question-about-note-titles/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26857-request-use-first-line-as-note-title-when-title-is-not-entered/

Is there any word on when this is coming as other iterations of Evernote have it but the iOS version.

This is the one basic thing a notebook app should do: be able to take down readable notes quickly as possible

Do you know why my notebook looks like?

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

untitled note

Evernote, what's your response? See the threads above, this has been asked by customers for years. Please add this one line of code in the app to take the first line and put it as the title. Now Microsoft has Onenote out, you'll have to step it up.

• Level 5*

Lessee..

1. AFAIK Evernote notes do take the first line of a note as the default title (Android/ Windows) so as you appreciate,  yours may be an OS that hasn't yet caught up..
  2. The devs do read every post (see below) but don't necessarily respond - and it's kind've up to them if they take any notice whatsoever.
  3. Evernote don't (normally) give any hints what's planned or coming up soon in updates.
  4. OneNote isn't exactly causing Evernote to hemorrhage users yet,  but I'm sure they'll be keeping an eye out..
  5. It's probably in the pipeline,  but until then you may have to cut and paste the titles...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! :)

I'm not trying to be negative. I am acutely a premium member. I am just fighting for Evernote to be the best but the lack of response / not seeing a simple change for years is not a good sign not matter what we speculate. 

1: Not on iOS which is the dominant and most popular OS...

2: Even if they read, they haven't taken notice as this issue has been present for years...

3: With such a high priced premium model, they should be more transparent as many of the other apps are free or cheaper (thinking of moving to simple note)

4: There are lots of apps upcoming and SimpleNote is free....

5: it must have got clogged up in that pipe for a few years! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely agree. Not having the option to do this, especially on a portable device where your process needs to be as simple and streamlined as possible, and where most of your input is likely to take place, is really quite amazing for such a polished program.

My windows system does it automatically, 

It took me a while to realize why I was getting all these untitled notes before it clicked it was because of this.

Another evernote update 7.3.5 and NO changes with this really really silly flaw that the iOS version has and every other version of evernote doesn't. Come on evernote, you say you read the comments but there have been so many threads on this over the years so just fix this dam you. The 'smart titles' are overthinking a solution to a simple fix and are useless compared to just having the note as the title instead of 'You were in XXX when you made this note'. It says nothing! 

Does Phil Libin read this? I hope so. I thought his interviews were very funny. Does he have an email?

• Level 5*

Evernote implement what they see as important updates if and when they deem it commercially necessary,  and the most recently issued version probably contains fixes that have been worked on for months or years and are only now seeing the light of day.  Swearing at them or mailing executives isn't particularly likely to get you any priority for your request.

• 4 months later...

Doesn't mean I should give up trying to help make Evernote be the best it can be  :)  I'll keep making the suggestion so this one doesn't sink. I'd love for others to chime in if you want this too.

I'm hoping they will change their customer service and feedback system for the better one day in the future. But then again, this thread isn't about customer service. It's about how may untitled notes I have and making the first line of every note the title  :D

• 8 months later...

Dear evernote,

this has been not working for years and and now apple have matched evernotes features, i'm going to stop using evernote. Thank you for the good times, i wish you listened more.

• 1 year later...

I came back to Evernote after three years and had to abandon it again after fiddling for an hour because of this very simple reason.

This thread started in 2014 asking for a simple feature ... "make the first line of each note the title automatically."

Over three years have passed and this simple feature is still not present. All my notes appearing as "Untitled".

Such as disappointment!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Is this feature still not implemented? I really would prefer just the first line of the note as title... Otherwise what? Type it twice on mobile? I don't understand why this isn't available on ios when it's on Windows and Mac. Having Evernote suggest titles isn't useful for me. All my notes end up titled the same "Note from XXX place"...

• Level 5*

Hi.  It still seems to the the case that you either get auto-titled or 'Untitled Note' as options.  It is possible to switch autotitle off (at least it is in Android).  I left it on for a while to see whether it got any smarter,  but maybe I just don't keep my diary properly.  It's still giving me 'George's Birthday'-style titles to everything.

Here's a work around to this annoying issue. Enable auto title then deny Permission to calendar and location. The Note will be auto titled with the first few words of the note instead of birthdays and events. 

Screenshot_2016-10-12-02-22-49-215.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I just brought 1 year evernote plus membership... (like using the tagging feature and taking photos) 

Then, I imported all my 1,313 notes from apple note to Evernote.

But I found iOS app don't support "using first line as title" feature!!! 

oh my god... I probably will not use this app anymore.
It's 2016. 

• 4 months later...

3 March 2017

This untitled note problem still exists. Why isn't evernote doing anything about it? I want the first line of Note to set as title. It's annoying to see so many 'untitled notes' in my evernote. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/3/2017 at 8:07 AM, MayurH said:

3 March 2017

This untitled note problem still exists. Why isn't evernote doing anything about it? I want the first line of Note to set as title. It's annoying to see so many 'untitled notes' in my evernote. 

100% agree, with customization and automation a key to all integrated apps and programs I'm at a loss regarding the omission of this feature. I'm not a programmer but this should not be that hard to implement as a user option. So much to like about Evernote, and so much to pull your hair out about the subpar features.  

PS: how about an easy way to rotate a scanned document - too many steps for such a simple task.  

• 9 months later...

Is there anything one could do to get this working in 2018?

The majority of my notes are very unhelpfully automatically named "Untitled Note" . Really annoying. It's such a standard in so many applications to name a file with the first line of text, it bewilders me after all this years Evernote doesn't even have this option under settings.

On 16/04/2018 at 8:27 PM, Lepli said:

Is there anything one could do to get this working in 2018?

The majority of my notes are very unhelpfully automatically named "Untitled Note" . Really annoying. It's such a standard in so many applications to name a file with the first line of text, it bewilders me after all this years Evernote doesn't even have this option under settings.

iOS got this feature recently. 

Image-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

5 years 1 month and 11 days later this is still a feature request Evernote hasn't added to its Android App. Whole the iOS App has an auto-title feature when will Android users be blessed with it? 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MayurH said:

5 years 1 month and 11 days later this is still a feature request Evernote hasn't added to its Android App. Whole the iOS App has an auto-title feature when will Android users be blessed with it? 

Hi.  You're posting in a non-voting iOS thread - try repeating this in an Android forum as a feature request (unless there's one already) and Evernote can get some idea how popular this change would be.  If it were simple though,  they would have done it already - might have something to do with the options for titles from calendars / locations that exists in Android.  Evernote don't (usually) give advance delivery dates for new features though - depends on priorities,  testing,  user demand...