What is the point of Skitch...

lykoz

I may be mistaken.... But the entire skitch functionality is available inside of Evernote through Annotate.

Am I missing something? Or is Skitch useless if you have evernote?

Thank you

I use Skitch for making screen captures, especially ones where I only want part of the screen (crosshair). I've never used it for a timed screen shots (I'm a simple person) but you can. I don't know of a way to use Evernote for taking crosshair screenshots or screenshots outside of a browser but perhaps I missed something?

There are a few other skitch-specific features that some people might find essential like FTP uploads and some direct sharing features, most of which wouldn't really be at home in Evernote. Not a monumental difference, but for those long-term skitch users who might have been using it prior to Evernote's purchase of it, they might rely on those heavily (if they haven't jumped ship for another reason). 

megsaint - "I use Skitch for making screen captures, especially ones where I only want part of the screen (crosshair). I've never used it for a timed screen shots (I'm a simple person) but you can. I don't know of a way to use Evernote for taking crosshair screenshots or screenshots outside of a browser but perhaps I missed something?"

If you click on the elephant at top of menu bar you can click clip full screen or clip rectangle or window. Clip rectangle window is the croshair option. You can do this clipping anywhere on PC, does not need to be in browser. As for timed screen shots not sure exactly what that is, but doesn't sound very useful to me.

ScottLougheed.... Evernote is full of sharing features...

I guess there may be some side benefits I'm not exactly grasping completely. But thanks for answering question. Basically I really don't need Skitch if I have Evernote (for myself personally at least)

yes, Evernote IS full of sharing features, but it does not allow for automatic FTP uploads or some of the more sophisticated/specific sharing features that Skitch has. YES it is really a very minor difference.

Additionally, there is a segment of (likely largely pre-evernote) skitch users who might like to use the features of Skitch without being an Evernote user, and indeed you can use everything about skitch without having an Evernote account or having Evernote installed.

So as I see it, for many users, the point of skitch is somewhat limited. But there are users, especially long-time users for whom those small differences are significant.

So you can. Never noticed as I have the Elephant in the menu bar turned off. Good to know. Thanks for the pointer.

I like Skitch. As Scott noted, some of us have been using it since before Evernote bought it and before they incorporated the features into Evernote. That Evernote has the same features doesn't make Skitch useless as it still functions quite well. Whether it makes it redundant to you is a question only you can answer.

Best of luck.

Re-downloaded skitch - Trying to find out if Im missing out on anything lol ;) (i like useful gadgets)

I see the timed screen shot on it.... Which to be honest I really don't see why anyone would need that. Trying to think of a situation where that would be of use....

I can understand some people want the skitch functions without the added features of Evernote.

Also what is the FTP download thing for? What do you use it for? And how do you get to it?

Re-downloaded skitch - Trying to find out if Im missing out on anything lol ;) (i like useful gadgets)

I see the timed screen shot on it.... Which to be honest I really don't see why anyone would need that. Trying to think of a situation where that would be of use....

I can understand some people want the skitch functions without the added features of Evernote.

Also what is the FTP download thing for? What do you use it for? And how do you get to it?

Anyone who does app development or tech journalism might like the timed screenshot feature to capture user interface elements that are temporary or which may conflict with mouse/keyboard use. This way you can click/do the keystroke, then invoke the user interface element you are trying to capture, the while the user is not clicking/typing, a screenshot can take place.

FTP could be useful for any small design firm that has a central server for storing shared data, or anyone who is generating content for the web or a blog, most of which use FTP to transfer files from a client machine to the remote server.

Archived