Evernote and To Do Lists to Drive Meeting Efficiency

Hi,

My day-to-day work involves lots of meetings.  I currently use paper and pen to take notes in the meetings.

What would be the best way to do this in Evernote.  So far I have set -up]:

- One Notebook called 'meetings'

- Notes within this notebook for each type of meeting (e.g. different people/ functions)

- Each note would then have two types of info; a) important notes and B) action items for either me or my team to work against

How can I then:

1. Compile all of the 'to do' items together in one Note to save me going through each note individually (ultimnately with a note per meetign this could be 100s of notes very quickly)

2. See who is assigned to complete each of these items

Thanks!

• Level 5*

How can I then:

1. Compile all of the 'to do' items together in one Note to save me going through each note individually (ultimnately with a note per meetign this could be 100s of notes very quickly)

2. See who is assigned to complete each of these items

You need to do this by hand. In Evernote, there's no automated way to move note content (e.g. to-do items) around. If it were me, I'd keep one to-do item per note, including description, due date, assignee, etc. You can then link to the to-do item from anywhere you need to, including the meeting notes.
  • Level 5*

..or you could use an add-on like IQTell (see the App Centre below) which lives on Chrome, Android and Windows and allows for delegation and tracking of tasks.  It seems highly customisable and 'bendable' to your specific use case - and it keeps its data in Evernote and can reference notes or email for additional material.

Suppose each task was in an individual note and that note was tagged with a team member's tag. Then you'd just have to do a tag search for that person and either compile a table of contents note for the group of notes OR you could merge them into one note. Down side is creating each note instead putting all the to dos from one meeting in one note. It would be a bit more work, but the end functionality would be a lot more powerful. This is how a specific to do list manager would handle this sort of task. A side advantage is you can set individual due dates on each note. 

You could also copy a note link as you made these and paste that into the meeting summary which gives a direct link to the single notes. 

Alternatively, you could have a note with each team member's name and To Do list in the title and add all their to items to that one note. Again, it would be a bit of a pain in meeting to have multiple team member's notes, but still it would create a nice organizational way to handle this and the advantage over the above is that you can see what that team member already has on their plate as you are assigning tasks. 

I like the first method better, but I think which to go with would depend on your situation. 

Finally, if you have Evernote for business, you could task each team member for creating their own to notes and then pasting the note link into the meeting summary. 

Archived