Feature Request: Cursor position to persist after deleting a note

OldGrantonian

Approximately once every 25 years, I delete redundant notes as follows:

• Select "All Notes"
  • Sort in chronological order
  • Expand the Notes window to maximum
  • Highlight a candidate for deletion
  • Scroll so that the candidate is roughly in the centre of the list

The purpose of all this rigmarole is to allow me to scan the titles of notes above and below the candidate. Reason:  many of my notes are just 1-liners. Notes added around the same time are likely to relate to the same subject. Therefore I take the opportunity to combine as many 1-liners as possible into a single note, and delete the others.

Issue:  When EN deletes a note, the next note is highlighted. The highlighted note then scrolls to the foot of the screen.

So, after each deletion, I must scroll up until the highlighted row is again in the middle of the screen.

When lines are deleted in Word, or Excel, or other apps, the highlight never moves. The line below the deleted line moves up to fill the gap.

• Level 5*

"Every 25 years" huh..  So when you last did this with Evernote in 1989 what was your internet connection speed?

The trick to keeping tabs on your notes may be to use tags..  collate your groups of notes into one and tag it "delete";  then look for the next and do the same.  When you're finished,  search for the 'delete' tag and nuke everything that you find.

Issue:  When EN deletes a note, the next note is highlighted. The highlighted note then scrolls to the foot of the screen.

This drives me nuts, too. I cannot count the times I've said *argh* because of this.

btw, it does not only happen when you delete or merge, it also happens when you move notes to another notebook.

While gazumped's strategy could work, it adds unnecessary steps and work to something that should not be happening anyway. Why does the list have to move at all?

I've taken to processing my notes from bottom to top to get around this, but sometimes, I forget. And have to say *argh* again

(When I talk about saying *argh*, I mean it is not serious enough to file a bug report or throw a coffee cup against the wall, but still an annoyance that gets a reaction out of me.).

gazumped:

"Every 25 years" huh..  So when you last did this with Evernote in 1989 what was your internet connection speed?

I had 4 notes and (to be on the safe side) 9 tags. "Syncing" was done by FTP push to the single EN server, followed by a pull to a different PC clone. Took about 11 seconds single journey.

chronistin: 

gazumped's strategy could work

I think my method uses 2 operations. gazumped's method uses 3 operations. Any initial consolidation will apply with any method, so it falls out of the equation.

The two replies made me think of using "Merge". It looks promising.

So I use Ctrl+click to add a candidate to the merge. I read the contents of the popup to determine whether to keep the candidate, or remove it by Ctrl+click.

Eventually, instead of clicking "Merge", I press the Delete key to delete all the selected candidates.

I agree with chronistin's comment that this feature should not happen nowadays. Over the years, there have been several applications that started life with the same feature, but eventually succeeded in stabilizing the cursor or highlight after a deletion.

I had 4 notes and (to be on the safe side) 9 tags. "Syncing" was done by FTP push to the single EN server, followed by a pull to a different PC clone. Took about 11 seconds single journey.

Hah, I remember those days! Had to lock the family in the basement, too, to keep them from using the phone during sync! 

Seriously, though. I would like for the notes to stay put, but if it they have to move, why have the active note on the bottom? If anything, you'd expect it on top!

Archived