More Beautiful Notes: What are your best hacks/tips for creating more stylized, visually appealing notes in Evernote?

Hi all.

I love Evernote, but it's not easy to create stylized/formatted notes on-the-fly in the Evernote desktop (PC) application.

The trick that seems to work best for me is to first compose notes in Microsoft Outlook email editor (where I can use hotkeys for headings, etc.) and then copy/paste from the Email into Evernote. But it's not a perfect option either.

So I'm curious what are the best apps, tips, etc., all of you have found for quickly creating more beautiful, visually-digestible notes in Evernote.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

There have been several comments that the Editor software is being rewritten,  so you may find that there are new ways to format your text in the next few updates - meantime my work-around,  like yours,  is to use a different app to format my work and then copy/ paste into Evernote,  and/ or attach the file.

There have been several comments that the Editor software is being rewritten,  so you may find that there are new ways to format your text in the next few updates - meantime my work-around,  like yours,  is to use a different app to format my work and then copy/ paste into Evernote,  and/ or attach the file.

An update to editor software would be great!  What app do you find works best for you to paste into Evernote from?

I do not care if my notes are pretty.  My main concern is that they are there & I can find them on whatever computer/device I'm using at the time. 

Thanks for sharing. I'm actually using Evernote in part as a database of tutorials and work instructions that I share with other non-Evernote (and often non-tech-savvy) users, so making the content easily visually digestible is pretty important.

I use EN for Reports, Proposals, documents for all stages of Projects, as well as backend documentation.  About a third of my notes are forwarded to clients as communication tools.  So, aesthetics are important for me as well.

Another useful external tool is Microsoft's OneNote. You can do a lot of things in a OneNote note that you can't in EN. But in EN you can import the ON note (File/import/microsift onenote/choose note from list shown) & it imports with some of the things. E.g. a lot of people would like to arrange photos in an EN note any which way they like, but EN does not support that. ON does & if you import the note from ON the photo arrangement is preserved. Certain things are not preserved during the import. Question of trial & error.

It's sad that I've only learn this today, but I'm excited to find that you can import RTF files with drag and drop, and it saves in EN as an actual note (instead of an attachment).

Another useful external tool is Microsoft's OneNote. You can do a lot of things in a OneNote note that you can't in EN. But in EN you can import the ON note (File/import/microsift onenote/choose note from list shown) & it imports with some of the things. E.g. a lot of people would like to arrange photos in an EN note any which way they like, but EN does not support that. ON does & if you import the note from ON the photo arrangement is preserved. Certain things are not preserved during the import. Question of trial & error.

Although I knew of OneNote, I had not tried using it as I do Word.  And I was not aware of the drag-n-drop idea with a RTF.  Thank you both!  I will take a look and see what they can do for me.

If I might go a bit sideways and suggest these books on graphic design:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Design-Book-second-Text/dp/B005H3YUCY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1400356227&sr=8-7&keywords=robin+williams+text

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Design-Books-Deluxe-Edition/dp/0321534050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400356227&sr=8-1&keywords=robin+williams+text

In the old days before computers, graphic designers would add "color" to a page by the use of text, fonts, and weight. You can do this easily within the Evernote system. Thanks to Ms. Williams and years of using her ideas, my notes naturally have color in them without a lot of thought on my part. 

Archived