Rotating a pdf in a note

I use my ScanSnap 1300 to scan pages into Evernote. Occasionally, I scan in a doc that was printed in landscape format. And 90% of the time the ScanSnap program figures out that it needs rotating, and will place the pdf in the EN note in the correct orientation. (I *do* have the box checked in the SS program to "automatically rotate the image".)

However, sometimes the pdf will be placed into the EN note in it's native orientation (ie. it's needing to be rotated 90 degrees to be read correctly).

Using EN I can access the pdf in adobe reader, and then I can rotate the image the 90 degrees, but I cannot *save* it back to EN in this new orientation.

Question: I know adobe has different software packages (reader, acrobat, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts on which is the most cost effective (ie. "cheapest") package to purchase if I simply wish to rotate a pdf and save it back into EN in it's new orientation?

Help!

I use my ScanSnap 1300 to scan pages into Evernote. Occasionally, I scan in a doc that was printed in landscape format. And 90% of the time the ScanSnap program figures out that it needs rotating, and will place the pdf in the EN note in the correct orientation. (I *do* have the box checked in the SS program to "automatically rotate the image".)

However, sometimes the pdf will be placed into the EN note in it's native orientation (ie. it's needing to be rotated 90 degrees to be read correctly).

Using EN I can access the pdf in adobe reader, and then I can rotate the image the 90 degrees, but I cannot *save* it back to EN in this new orientation.

Question: I know adobe has different software packages (reader, acrobat, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts on which is the most cost effective (ie. "cheapest") package to purchase if I simply wish to rotate a pdf and save it back into EN in it's new orientation?

Help!

Don't give Adobe any money if all you want to do is rotate a PDF. (I'm not a fan of Adobe...) Several PDF viewers allow you to rotate & save.  The free version of PDF Xchange viewer not only allows you to rotate, but you can password protect AND...password encrypt a PDF too.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Not sure if you are a windows or mac user, but if you are using a Mac, the stock PDF reader (Preview.app) will rotate PDF pages, either by doing a rotating motion on your computer's trackpad or by pressing cmd-l (thats an L), or cmd-r, to rotate "left" or "right". 

Help!

Don't give Adobe any money if all you want to do is rotate a PDF. (I'm not a fan of Adobe...) Several PDF viewers allow you to rotate & save.  The free version of PDF Xchange viewer not only allows you to rotate, but you can password protect AND...password encrypt a PDF too.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Thanks BurgersNFries. I have installed PDF Xchanger Viewer and it works like a champ. And it seems to "play nicely" with Evernote too.  So a minor annoyance has been resolved with your help!

Thanks for the response Scott. I'm on the Windows platform - should have put that in my initial posting. However my daughter is on Mac so I will pass the info along to her.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Acrobat - it's a pretty 'thick' piece of software,,, but if you dig...

The button on the tool bar rotates the view of the pdf,,, it does not rotate the pdf... you cannot save.

If however you go to 'tools' and rotate, or right-click in the thumbnail views of the document and rotate... it does rotate the page(s) and you can save, and the save goes back to Evernote.

Not very intuitive I agree... I don't know if reader does this, but the full Acrobat does.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. Scanning via Scannable or Evernote apps for iPhone result in upside down pages. In order to fix it, I have to use Adobe Acrobat. It would be very nice if I could rotate pages of the scanned PDFs directly in Evernote.

• 1 month later...

Mac Users:

• Right Click on the PDF File 
  • Open With "Preview"
  • 2 x Key Strokes "cmd"+"R" (or "cmd" + "L") 
  • Click "cmd"+"S" (safe) 

The original file in Evernote will update automatically for you, the whole operation will take about 2 sec.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, 08/15 said:

Mac Users:

• Right Click on the PDF File 
  • Open With "Preview"
  • 2 x Key Strokes "cmd"+"R" (or "cmd" + "L") 
  • Click "cmd"+"S" (safe) 

The original file in Evernote will update automatically for you, the whole operation will take about 2 sec.

Cheers,

Matt

This is no longer the case. Either macOS Sierra or newest Evernote update changed the ability to open the pdf in Preview and save the same file. Now you will get a warning saying that the original file cannot be changed.

Anyone know a solution to this?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, sthilaa said:

This is no longer the case. Either macOS Sierra or newest Evernote update changed the ability to open the pdf in Preview and save the same file. Now you will get a warning saying that the original file cannot be changed.

Anyone know a solution to this?

In Preview I save the modified pdf file to my desktop and drag it into my note, replacing the original

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2016 at 2:45 PM, DTLow said:

In Preview I save the modified pdf file to my desktop and drag it into my note, replacing the original

This is too much work. Dear Evernote, please fix this. I really should be able to click on an image/PDF in Evernote then choose a command, either from a menu or from the contextual popup menu to rotate an image. Being able to do this by opening it in Preview worked, but it was already too many steps.

• 1 month later...

Archived