Where Did the Formatting Go?

I'm trying to find out why I keep losing the original formatting when I send via email. I create a note and then click share/send by email. But when the email arrives to its destination, the note looks nothing like it did when I created it. For example, I may create the note with a 12 pt font and it arrives in email in a 7 pt font, bolding is gone, etc. Any idea what I am doing wrong? or is that common for Evernote? Fairly new to Evernote, so i need some help.

Welcome to Evernote and the Forum.  With my limited knowledge of EN, there is one possible scenario with what is going on;

It may have to do with the email settings on the recipient's end.  Notes are based on XML which is related to XHTML.  EN will send the email in XHTML or HTML format and if the recipient has their email settings to receive the emails in Plain Text ( instead of HTML), then the Formatting will be stripped out of the email.

Do you think this is possibly the issue?

• Level 5*

I'd agree with Sentinel - email formatting is dependent on the receiver's settings,  and (though I never noticed particularly) it would make sense for Evernote to accept only text emails - it's more secure that way.  

Welcome to Evernote and the Forum.  With my limited knowledge of EN, there is one possible scenario with what is going on;

It may have to do with the email settings on the recipient's end.  Notes are based on XML which is related to XHTML.  EN will send the email in XHTML or HTML format and if the recipient has their email settings to receive the emails in Plain Text ( instead of HTML), then the Formatting will be stripped out of the email.

Do you think this is possibly the issue?

Its possible that is the problem. Is there a way to format the EN settings to send Text only emails?

I'd agree with Sentinel - email formatting is dependent on the receiver's settings,  and (though I never noticed particularly) it would make sense for Evernote to accept only text emails - it's more secure that way.  

Its possible that is my issue. I am trying to find out if there is a way to adjust my settings in EN to send text only emails.

Yes, there is. You can change all the text in the note to Simple Formatting (Plain Text).

Simply highlight everything in the note by going to: Edit>Select All, then click Format>Simply Formatting.  

That will change the entire note's formatting to Plain Text.  The formatting will change, along with spacing, indentions, font sizes, etc.  So you may need to dress it up a bit before emailing if you wish.

That may be what you are looking for.

If you wish to make the Global Settings of anything you paste into Evernote notes to Simple Formatting, this can be done in Preferences.

Open your EN Desktop client, click Evernote in the menu bar at the top, then click Preferences>Formatting Tab, then at the bottom of the dialog box, click Simplified Formatting for pasted content.

That will change the Global setting of EN for all pasted content to be Simple Formatting.  

I would test this to ensure that is what you actually want.  Or, you can do as I described above in the previous post Note by Note, as you need to.

If you wish to make the Global Settings of anything you paste into Evernote notes to Simple Formatting, this can be done in Preferences.

Open your EN Desktop client, click Evernote in the menu bar at the top, then click Preferences>Formatting Tab, then at the bottom of the dialog box, click Simplified Formatting for pasted content.

That will change the Global setting of EN for all pasted content to be Simple Formatting.  

I would test this to ensure that is what you actually want.  Or, you can do as I described above in the previous post Note by Note, as you need to.

Thanks for the help. I will try this.

Archived